SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I once read about a Lone Ranger serial done in the late 30's where Tonto showed his ability to discern what was happening by sinking his teeth into a tree, which enabled him to detect vibrations.

I wonder what opinion Tonto would have on who will be the next OC/QB coaches.

220px-Hi_Yo_Silver_lobby_card.jpg

I once read about a Lone Ranger serial done in the late 30's where Tonto showed his ability to discern what was happening by sinking his teeth into a tree, which enabled him to detect vibrations.

I wonder what opinion Tonto would have on who will be the next OC/QB coaches.

220px-Hi_Yo_Silver_lobby_card.jpg
Biting into things trying to ”discern what [is] happening” is a good way of establishing “ here’s what’s happening”

Im not a fan of Doug the person but he was a miracle worker. If he had what Dino has been given we would be a consistent winner. 7 or more a year.
He is exponentially a better coach than Dino will ever be.

Im not a fan of Doug the person but he was a miracle worker. If he had what Dino has been given we would be a consistent winner. 7 or more a year.
He is exponentially a better coach than Dino will ever be.
If you’re talking X and O’s I agree. But there’s a reason Dougie can’t seem to stick around a team more than 3 years…and that’s part of coaching too.

1. Low bar
2. You know how I feel about the schedule in year 2 of Marrone
3. I’m not asking for much, just a sense of objectivity when it comes to a .500 coach with the lowest strength of schedule in our history
4. It’s no act
Don't forget our worst QB and WR recruits in history.

Straw man BS.

Nobody claimed that the board was clamoring for Hackett. But in retrospect, he would have been the better choice than Shafer. Which is how anyone can read other than you would interpret my post.
I wanted an outside hire but if we were hiring internally I wanted Hackett over Shafer at the time. Hackett was the continuity hire. He was the OC and Shafer had no job offers, he wasn't going anywhere. It would have been a risk but could have been high reward. Shafer wasn't any less risky and when Hackett left the continuity went out the window.

In shafers defense, if he had hired Lester as oc instead of McDonald he probably wouldn’t have been fired the way he was and we most likely would’ve had a much brighter outlook on the program. Say what you want they recruited some talent, and Lester’s scheme seemed to be an overall improvement. Would it have worked out and he would still be here ….. prolly not . But it is interesting. I mean Dino’s 10 win season was mostly on the shoulders of shafer recruits.
Really? We aren't making a Bowl in 2014 with Lester as OC day 1 instead of when he took over. We didn't make a Bowl in 2015 with him as OC. 2013 does he go to Hunt? In interviews Lester laughed at the possibility of Hunt taking over for Allen. If the switch isn't made, no Bowl in 2013.

A couple months after Marrone was hired. Casullo came to Rochester for a clinic. We took him out to lunch after. I will never forget him telling me they might have 30 D1 players on the team (out of 85 players). He couldnt believe the kids Greg Robinson brought in. Marrone got rid of 15 right from the start and brought in juco and 2 star kids no one wanted. They didnt have enough capable bodies because they got rid of so much dead weight. Thats a big reason why they lost the last 5 games in 2011. They never got the depth they needed in those 4 years and they still won 8 games twice and 2 bowl games. He turned 2 star, no offer kids into first round picks. If you never been a part of a rebuild then you wont truly appreciate what he was able to accomplish in 4 years. Its not close to debating IMO.
The OP was right about the lack of OC consistency over the past 15-20 years in his original post and dead wrong about understating/undervaluing the work that Marrone’s staff did.

Marrone barely had a suitable number of players to have a 1 deep let alone a 2 deep his first few years. I never really could understand GRob’s staff recruiting because they did bring in some quality prospects at the top end but man was there a lot of cannon fodder.

One of those years was the worse SoS in 50 years. It was great because we sucked and we’re thirsty for anything good. But context needed. He did about as good as Dino sans-Covid year on average when SoS is taken into account. 2012 was a great year like 2018. Deserved.
He did it with a roster that comprised about 40% FBS level players. Which seems to be overlooked by the “Big East was easy” crowd.

He did it with a roster that comprised about 40% FBS level players. Which seems to be overlooked by the “Big East was easy” crowd.
2010 might have been our weakest schedule in history. We only needed a roster of 25% "FBS level players" to get Ws.

at #206 Akron
#142 Maine
#167 Colgate
at #44 USF
at #36 WV
at #67 Cincy without their QB
at #90 Rutgers

We also lost at home to #51 Louisville without their QB. WV was a great W but it was all about scheme. We also lost to juggernauts #49 BC and #56 UConn both at home. We played one team in the Top 30 (at #28 Washington).

We had plenty of talent but it was young. You don't need depth against the above schedule.

2010 might have been our weakest schedule in history. We only needed a roster of 25% "FBS level players" to get Ws.

at #206 Akron
#142 Maine
#167 Colgate
at #44 USF
at #36 WV
at #67 Cincy without their QB
at #90 Rutgers

We also lost at home to #51 Louisville without their QB. WV was a great W but it was all about scheme. We also lost to juggernauts #49 BC and #56 UConn both at home. We played one team in the Top 30 (at #28 Washington).

We had plenty of talent but it was young. You don't need depth against the above schedule.

Wait, the way you’re describing this it sounds like a notch above an ACC schedule but with less wins at the end of the year. That’s a list of teams that’s become a staple of who we’ve beaten over the last 6 years. SOS is kind of a silly barometer if you’re not competitive in many of your ACC games. It doesn’t mean your better because your routinely beaten by your peers. It’s like saying Schiano is a better coach now because he’s playing in the B10, so what.

Oh, and I love the, WV win was great but we didn’t really beat them because we just outschemed them. Ok, so do you discount DB’s Clemson win then for the same reason?

Last edited:
The OP was right about the lack of OC consistency over the past 15-20 years in his original post and dead wrong about understating/undervaluing the work that Marrone’s staff did.

Marrone barely had a suitable number of players to have a 1 deep let alone a 2 deep his first few years. I never really could understand GRob’s staff recruiting because they did bring in some quality prospects at the top end but man was there a lot of cannon fodder.
Most of those top end guys never made it onto the field.

A couple months after Marrone was hired. Casullo came to Rochester for a clinic. We took him out to lunch after. I will never forget him telling me they might have 30 D1 players on the team (out of 85 players). He couldnt believe the kids Greg Robinson brought in. Marrone got rid of 15 right from the start and brought in juco and 2 star kids no one wanted. They didnt have enough capable bodies because they got rid of so much dead weight. Thats a big reason why they lost the last 5 games in 2011. They never got the depth they needed in those 4 years and they still won 8 games twice and 2 bowl games. He turned 2 star, no offer kids into first round picks. If you never been a part of a rebuild then you wont truly appreciate what he was able to accomplish in 4 years. Its not close to debating IMO.

It blows my mind how some downplay the turnaround job Marrone and staff did here.

It blows my mind how some downplay the turnaround job Marrone and staff did here.
Yeah, I mean before he got here we were getting smoked by Miami (OH), Akron, UConn and struggling with bad UB teams let alone Pitt, WV etc.

We were at least one of the worst “power” team before the P5 was a thing.

He did a remarkable job, he was just kind of a d!kk.

I don’t downplay it. I fight against the notion that it came quickly. It was a process that needed 4 years to complete. The 2nd year was (and still is) fool’s gold.

It happens when you focus on w/l too much.

So what is Anae doing at this point? Is it possible he is already signed but they aren't announcing it yet? I hope he gets a head start on reviewing game film to see what we have.
Like you said, he's probably reviewing game and practice films to get "the lay of the land". UVa's bowl game is next Wednesday. An announcement should follow fairly soon after that. Since it would only leave Thursday and Friday in 2021, I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until Monday, the 3rd. New week; new year; new assistant(s).

I don’t downplay it. I fight against the notion that it came quickly. It was a process that needed 4 years to complete. The 2nd year was (and still is) fool’s gold.

It happens when you focus on w/l too much.
That rebuild should have taken 6 years. They had no business winning a bowl game in year 2. They were actually 4 points from being a bowl team in year 1. Minny and Louisville were games they could have won.

That rebuild should have taken 6 years. They had no business winning a bowl game in year 2. They were actually 4 points from being a bowl team in year 1. Minny and Louisville were games they could have won.
And it was clear from Year 1, Game 1 against Minny that we were a different football team- and by different I mean functioning. Marrone did an unbelievable job, period.

Some of them are so sensitive to any criticism of DB, they see it as an attack against DB saying Marrone had done a solid job.
I don’t know… I don’t think those two things overlap for virtually anyone here. Personally, I like DB and want him to have success. But I think DM was the best coach we had since Coach P, and he and his staff made the best in game adjustments.

And it was clear from Year 1, Game 1 against Minny that we were a different football team- and by different I mean functioning. Marrone did an unbelievable job, period.
This is good context for *where* the team was. He did a remarkable job turning over the roster and getting them to respectable almost upon arrival. The pushback after that is that they had slow progress after that. AND that is exactly what it takes most of the time. Dino needed 2 years of “better, but not great”…

It’s our pecking order. We’re not Florida or Auburn - our floor is lower and it takes longer to get where we want to go and even more to sustain. Which we never got to see with Marrone.

Don’t be unwilling to learn from that era - over-glorifying it is not helpful.