SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

If you can find anyone on this board at the time screaming for Hackett to be elevated, I would like to see it.

Revisionist history is great, but nobody was clamoring for Hackett. He was 33 years old at the time. Point to Lincoln Riley all you want, but that wasn’t reality in 2012.
Where exactly did RF say that everyone was clamoring for Hackett?

All he said was that in hindsight, the wrong decision was made.
1640270609833.gif

That read to me like Anae left to get a jump on his new job. "A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. "

and the last line read to me like Bronco knows where he is going. I don't think it's natural to phrase it this way if you don't know where your friend is going and what's next for them. "I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”
Agreed.

I think people forgot how impressive of job Marrone did at SU. Or they are still upset he left for a NFL gig. That was a great staff that would have kept building while they transitioned to the Acc.
The level of commitment to the program seems to be a tad higher now, so they did it into a stronger headwind back then. The quality of the positional coaching was pretty good back then, I'd say. Excited to see what the new group can do with additional $ and resources behind them.

Where exactly did RF say that everyone was clamoring for Hackett?

All he said was that in hindsight, the wrong decision was made. View attachment 212076

No way was Hackett ready to become a head coach back then. Not at that time. His trajectory turned out bright but the mistake in hindsight was the promotion of Shafer, not passing on Hackett. Hackett still hasn't been a head coach yet.

Name a better staff since

how many more than 8 win seasons have there been in the last twenty?

get a new act
1. Low bar
2. You know how I feel about the schedule in year 2 of Marrone
3. I’m not asking for much, just a sense of objectivity when it comes to a .500 coach with the lowest strength of schedule in our history
4. It’s no act

If you can find anyone on this board at the time screaming for Hackett to be elevated, I would like to see it.

Revisionist history is great, but nobody was clamoring for Hackett. He was 33 years old at the time. Point to Lincoln Riley all you want, but that wasn’t reality in 2012.

Straw man BS.

Nobody claimed that the board was clamoring for Hackett. But in retrospect, he would have been the better choice than Shafer. Which is how anyone can read other than you would interpret my post.

believe me there was.

but the board is always wrong so who cares...the real problem was, Gross believing that not only Hackett was qualified to take over, but Shafer was.

TGD actually thought Syracuse had not only 1 P5 level coach, but 3 on its staff!!

and fwiw: hackett was in the 2 hole there.

ridiculous.

Straw man BS.

Nobody claimed that the board was clamoring for Hackett. But in retrospect, he would have been the better choice than Shafer. Which is how anyone can read other than you would interpret my post.
In shafers defense, if he had hired Lester as oc instead of McDonald he probably wouldn’t have been fired the way he was and we most likely would’ve had a much brighter outlook on the program. Say what you want they recruited some talent, and Lester’s scheme seemed to be an overall improvement. Would it have worked out and he would still be here ….. prolly not . But it is interesting. I mean Dino’s 10 win season was mostly on the shoulders of shafer recruits.

Last edited:
The level of commitment to the program seems to be a tad higher now, so they did it into a stronger headwind back then. The quality of the positional coaching was pretty good back then, I'd say. Excited to see what the new group can do with additional $ and resources behind them.
agree

As some have said, Anae is 63 and might want this to be his last stop. Bring Beck with him to take over as OC when he leaves. If things work out, Dino survives with a new offense.
Then with Beck you could have your transition when Dino is ready to leave. Would be the first successful transition, since Mac to P. Late in my life would love to see this, especially for the younger fans. I've had the chance to have been here since Ben.
It does make sense. Set the stage for your protege for a year or two, and then hand over the keys. Great continuity for Dino too.

This came out late yesterday.

Asked about Anae’s early departure from UVA, Mendenhall said, “Timing. A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. We all control what we can to the best level that we can. But this provided a great opportunity for Jason, and for him to show his level of preparation and readiness. It can’t all be orchestrated. I don’t get to choose how it all works, but what I am comfortable is someone steps up and I’m happy for Robert. The offense … I’m not sure it’s not the best-ever here. And the friendship. And the loyalty. And the work. He’ll be missed by me and I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”

That makes it sound like Anae requested to leave. Interesting. I wonder if there is bad blood between Elliott and Robert?

I thought Armstrong's quote about Beck was interesting and perhaps telegraphing his next move (i.e. it won't be an OC job at UVA)...

“It’s awesome,” Armstrong said. “For him, I thought that was the next step in whatever he was going to do. He has a young offensive mind. I’m excited to see him. He gets a chance to do it in the bowl game. I’m happy for him. It’s going to be fun for him.”

He's talking about Beck in the past tense so it doesn't look like Elliott has plans to retain him or Beck has plans to stay.

believe me there was.

but the board is always wrong so who cares...the real problem was, Gross believing that not only Hackett was qualified to take over, but Shafer was.

TGD actually thought Syracuse had not only 1 P5 level coach, but 3 on its staff!!

and fwiw: hackett was in the 2 hole there.

ridiculous.
Yeah. A quick search of “promote Hackett” on this site shows that most of the discussion centered around promoting Hackett to Assist. HC, but there was more than just passing talk about him as HC too.

So it’s really a little bit of both.

In shafers defense, if he had hired Lester as oc instead of McDonald he probably wouldn’t have been fired the way he was and we most likely would’ve had a much brighter outlook on the program. Say what you want they recruited some talent, and Lester’s scheme seemed to be an overall improvement. Would it have worked out and he would still be here ….. prolly not . But it is interesting. I mean Dino’s 10 win season was mostly on the shoulders of shafer recruits.
I thought Lester was great. Loved how he explained what they were trying to do after every game. Very likeable dude.

So let’s put this in perspective. The wife of an assistant FB coach at UVA, who allegedly is being pursued by Syracuse university, is following Mike McAllister on Twitter.

No offense to Mike, but if I’m her, I’m not letting him clutter my Twitter feed with updates on some random long snapper from New Haven during Christmas time in the middle of a friggin pandemic unless I absolutely have to.

maybe she agrees and also thinks every call against the eagles or the orange is a conspiracy

Anae is coming here, that is quite clear from Bronco’s quote alone. Then, considering how close he and Beck are and that Mrs Beck is following Dino and 100 other SU related Twitter pages pretty much tells us what is happening there too. I am sure it will all be announced after UVAs bowl game

Anae is coming here, that is quite clear from Bronco’s quote alone. Then, considering how close he and Beck are and that Mrs Beck is following Dino and 100 other SU related Twitter pages pretty much tells us what is happening there too. I am sure it will all be announced after UVAs bowl game

I've always found the Mormons to be disciplined, loyal, and hardworking. I think this may be a situation where Anae is grooming Beck until he's "ready" and not a moment before. I think that may be the rub getting him here. Anae for a few years, transition to Beck.

May be putting too much of a fantastical twist on the situation, in my head, however, that (in theory) would set up a win/win for us and them.

Such an exciting time for Cuse offense and we will see our new QB’s roll out in January once contact is permitted. I’m for one from the portal and one HS player.
Our new coaches know what they want in. QB and are very good recruiters for that system, especially in California where loads of talent is to be found. Go Orange Football, light up theDome!

That read to me like Anae left to get a jump on his new job. "A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. "

and the last line read to me like Bronco knows where he is going because I don't think it's natural to phrase it this way if you don't know where your friend is going and what's next for them. "I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”

Nice catch!

It would take an absolute catastrophe for these two to not be Syracuse

I’m almost positive they were a both or nothing kind of deal

I'm sure it's a done deal. The respect the school is showing UVA to finish their bowl season is what is preventing an announcement. The Thamel leak was to just put everyone on notice.

It's all good. Merry Xmas to all. LGO

It would take an absolute catastrophe for these two to not be Syracuse

I’m almost positive they were a both or nothing kind of deal
Not necessarily. But I agree that the most likely outcome today is that both will be at SU...

Yeah. A quick search of “promote Hackett” on this site shows that most of the discussion centered around promoting Hackett to Assist. HC, but there was more than just passing talk about him as HC too.

So it’s really a little bit of both.
yeah, my recall was TGD wanted hackett, but Marrone 'screwed' us over and brought him, thus leaving us holding the bag...and the bag was Shafer.

that was many jack & cokes ago though.

I'm sure it's a done deal. The respect the school is showing UVA to finish their bowl season is what is preventing an announcement. The Thamel leak was to just put everyone on notice.

It's all good. Merry Xmas to all. LGO
This reasoning makes the most sense to me. IF the formal announcement(s) are being delayed it is most likely out of respect to the UVA program and their prep for the bowl game.

1. Low bar
2. You know how I feel about the schedule in year 2 of Marrone
3. I’m not asking for much, just a sense of objectivity when it comes to a .500 coach with the lowest strength of schedule in our history
4. It’s no act
No matter how much lipstick you put on your opinion...

Multiple execs in the NFL obviously thought differently

This reasoning makes the most sense to me. IF the formal announcement(s) are being delayed it is most likely out of respect to the UVA program and their prep for the bowl game.
So what is Anae doing at this point? Is it possible he is already signed but they aren't announcing it yet? I hope he gets a head start on reviewing game film to see what we have.