SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I think people forgot how impressive of job Marrone did at SU. Or they are still upset he left for a NFL gig. That was a great staff that would have kept building while they transitioned to the Acc.

No doubt, actually, beyond impressive. Grob, along with the prior administration had this program in the abyss, beyond the Marianna Trench. One could even make the statement that what Marrone accomplished was rather miraculous in nature, especially when considering what he was up against relative to the inadequacies of the athletic department and university leads relative to assets, infrastructure, etc.

Marrone, for all intents and purposes, begged and pleaded for the university to invest in its program on its most critical fronts; IPF, etc., but it was placed on the back burner at the time, even when at that time, SU was beyond a day late and a dollar short.

The saving grace (literally) of SU's football program was the invite and life line from the ACC. If not for that, the extremely poor leadership by the prior powers that be would've never been able to rescue the football program from that gross negligence and incompetence.

So what is Anae doing at this point? Is it possible he is already signed but they aren't announcing it yet? I hope he gets a head start on reviewing game film to see what we have.
Bronco indicated that the move from Anae was about "timing" and getting things going at his next stop. That's what's happening, wherever he is. I think, but don't know, that's at SU.

Such an exciting time for Cuse offense and we will see our new QB’s roll out in January once contact is permitted. I’m for one from the portal and one HS player.
Our new coaches know what they want in. QB and are very good recruiters for that system, especially in California where loads of talent is to be found. Go Orange Football, light up theDome!

Definitely want two QBs. Bring in Jalen Daniels as the HS kid and someone from the portal who can challenge GS(hopefully Lamson can do that too but might be too early for that)

Straw man BS.

Nobody claimed that the board was clamoring for Hackett. But in retrospect, he would have been the better choice than Shafer. Which is how anyone can read other than you would interpret my post.
In retrospect, I’m not sure saying Hackett would have been a better hire than Shafer at the time is even accurate. Shafer was bad - nobody would disagree. But there’s no proof to ascertain Hackett would have been any better.

He hasn’t been a head coach anywhere, and he has the OC job for a Green Bay team led by the best QB in the world, despite Tom Brady fans’ opinions. There are 100 guys, in my opinion, who could draw up good plays for Aaron Rodgers.

His stint as OC at Jacksonville wasn’t anything to write home about. The run in 2017 was mainly due to the defense. And the 2018 offense was lower 1/3 of the league.

Also, NFL success does not translate to NCAA success. So even if he is the best NFL coordinator in the world, it doesn’t mean he’d do diddly at SU. Especially given the timeline.

Shafer was bad, but he inherited a mess after Marrone left at the last possible minute with both a decimated roster without a ton of seniors and a decimated coaching staff. The program was also elevated to the ACC from a mediocre Big East. He also wasn’t done any favors from a budgetary standpoint as it relates to hires he was able to make.

Not a Shafer apologist at all, he was brutal, but your statement isn’t cut and dry true just because Shafer is still the DC at MTSU & Hackett is an “up and comer”. I’m really not sure it mattered who was hired at the time, given the massive hill the person was expected to climb.

In retrospect, I’m not sure saying Hackett would have been a better hire than Shafer at the time is even accurate. Shafer was bad - nobody would disagree. But there’s no proof to ascertain Hackett would have been any better.

Also, NFL success does not translate to NCAA success. So even if he is the best NFL coordinator in the world, it doesn’t mean he’d do diddly at SU. Especially given the timeline.

Agreed. We should know by now that NFL coaches don't always make the best college head coaches. We don't even know if he would have stayed for very long if the NFL was his dream destination. Shafer was the safer bet in many ways and it was understandable why they went with him. It didn't work out. Perhaps the only combo that would have worked out was Marrone-Shafer-Hackett. If we're going to relitigate the past, there's a better case to be made for having an open search back then than a continuity hire of any kind. We could have beaten Wake to the punch and hired Dave Clawson from BG.

In shafers defense, if he had hired Lester as oc instead of McDonald he probably wouldn’t have been fired the way he was and we most likely would’ve had a much brighter outlook on the program. Say what you want they recruited some talent, and Lester’s scheme seemed to be an overall improvement. Would it have worked out and he would still be here ….. prolly not . But it is interesting. I mean Dino’s 10 win season was mostly on the shoulders of shafer recruits.
Yeah, that last line is contested quite a bit - and all coaches are gifted previous regimes guys. Nassib wasn’t a Marrone recruit for example.

It can be spun in a good way too - what a coaching job taking disparate parts from a coach who is no longer here used in new systems!

No doubt, actually, beyond impressive. Grob, along with the prior administration had this program in the abyss, beyond the Marianna Trench. One could even make the statement that what Marrone accomplished was rather miraculous in nature, especially when considering what he was up against relative to the inadequacies of the athletic department and university leads relative to assets, infrastructure, etc.

Marrone, for all intents and purposes, begged and pleaded for the university to invest in its program on its most critical fronts; IPF, etc., but it was placed on the back burner at the time, even when at that time, SU was beyond a day late and a dollar short.

The saving grace (literally) of SU's football program was the invite and life line from the ACC. If not for that, the extremely poor leadership by the prior powers that be would've never been able to rescue the football program from that gross negligence and incompetence.
Can you say "UConn?"

Agreed. We should know by now that NFL coaches don't always make the best college head coaches. We don't even know if he would have stayed for very long if the NFL was his dream destination. Shafer was the safer bet in many ways and it was understandable why they went with him. It didn't work out. Perhaps the only combo that would have worked out was Marrone-Shafer-Hackett. If we're going to relitigate the past, there's a better case to be made for having an open search back then than a continuity hire of any kind. We could have beaten Wake to the punch and hired Dave Clawson from BG.
the continuity hire...where the ghost of Christmas past becomes the ghost of Christmas future, yet...just represents death in our past.

Right on.

Did you mean "Gross negligence and incompetence..."?

Marrone won 4/8/5/8 games in the Big East at the tail end of the conference right before it became the AACK that isn't exactly miracle work.

Cashing NFL head coaching checks over 7 seasons is impressive to a certain extend but like at SU he only had 2 good years one of which ended in him being fired.

I think if you want to point to a specific weakness of SU football over the last 2-3 decades as it pertains to coaching I will point you in the direction of Offensive Coordinator. Anae will be a huge upgrade.

I've always found the Mormons to be disciplined, loyal, and hardworking.
sherlock-benedict-cumberbatch.gif

Marrone won 4/8/5/8 games in the Big East at the tail end of the conference right before it became the AACK that isn't exactly miracle work.

Cashing NFL head coaching checks over 7 seasons is impressive to a certain extend but like at SU he only had 2 good years one of which ended in him being fired.

I think if you want to point to a specific weakness of SU football over the last 2-3 decades as it pertains to coaching I will point you in the direction of Offensive Coordinator. Anae will be a huge upgrade.

As Cusian would say, you’re missing a lot of context.

Re: the NFL…Marrone did not really have any decent QB’s. Hard to win without them and super hard to find great ones as they are few and far between.

He inherited a laughingstock program and made 2 bowls in 4 years. We have made 2 since he left

He inherited a laughingstock program and made 2 bowls in 4 years. We have made 2 since he left
One of those years was the worse SoS in 50 years. It was great because we sucked and we’re thirsty for anything good. But context needed. He did about as good as Dino sans-Covid year on average when SoS is taken into account. 2012 was a great year like 2018. Deserved.

And he did it booting 1/3 of the team, having 1.5 months (being conservative) to recruit his first class, and having guys with no stars for depth for the first couple years. That’s just for starters.

He didn’t boot 1/3 of the team. He had the “talk” with 9 players of which 8 left and 1 refused.

A couple months after Marrone was hired. Casullo came to Rochester for a clinic. We took him out to lunch after. I will never forget him telling me they might have 30 D1 players on the team (out of 85 players). He couldnt believe the kids Greg Robinson brought in. Marrone got rid of 15 right from the start and brought in juco and 2 star kids no one wanted. They didnt have enough capable bodies because they got rid of so much dead weight. Thats a big reason why they lost the last 5 games in 2011. They never got the depth they needed in those 4 years and they still won 8 games twice and 2 bowl games. He turned 2 star, no offer kids into first round picks. If you never been a part of a rebuild then you wont truly appreciate what he was able to accomplish in 4 years. Its not close to debating IMO.

Last edited:
He didn’t boot 1/3 of the team. He had the “talk” with 9 players of which 8 left and 1 refused.

Hopefully our new OC has a similar talk with our WRs. Depth is great but when your worst DB is better than your best WR it doesn't matter who your back ups are at either position.

But anyways if there is one thing the program needs its a multi year run with a top offensive coordinator. We've never seen SU football with a high end OC who makes something of being the only team in the country that plays home games indoors.

BC got a top 25 class this year. If we get a good OC and sign a couple consecutive top 25 classes I think we will be challenging for the ACC crown. I'm also content with Dino>White as our head coaches I think hoops is in major trouble if they don't pony up major $$$ for someone established we need to spend the bulk of our AD budget there.