SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

i really dont get the concern over playing Wisc.. they will be no better than they are now.. just a solid team with very little upside.. i expected that if we were what we hope to be by 2020 it would be a very winnable game.

Wisconsin is exactly the kind of team that gives us fits. Solid all around D, big offensive line, power running game and the can burn you with play action if you try and cheat to the run. No thanks. Great move to ditch this series

Last edited:
I don’t think Dino and Wildhack are “afraid” to play anyone. It’s about sacrificing a game to reach our larger goals.

Maybe we see Wisconsin in the playoffs ;)

Yeah, I really don’t think some of these guys are really thinking their replies through, because bringing up Rutgers makes zero sense.

I don’t know how you look at a schedule and see “FSU”, “Clemson”, “Louisville”, sometimes a “Georgia Tech, Miami, or Virginia Tech”, and say hey we need to schedule another top 25 team! We aren’t in the 2004-2012 version of the Big East anymore. We just got done playing a schedule where 10(I think) opponents went to a bowl game right? And our team fell off a cliff the last month for like the 4th straight year because we were incredibly beat up. But yeah, our schedule isn’t tough enough! Rutgers! Scared!

Just sit and wait for the next team that moves from fcs to fbs, and jump on them. ( Can you say Liberty )

Good teams mostly schedule other good teams. Every team we face seems like a juggernaut because we suck. Folks here were bent out of shape about playing CMU and MTSU. Now folks are concerned about playing WMU next year.

If Dino believes scheduling for the Quick Lane bowl is more valuable at this point than playing Wisconsin, I'll go along. He's at the helm of the program. But we've heard from the parents of multiple recruits that playing games like @ LSU, was more appealing then playing directional-state or playing in a third tier bowl game.

Good teams mostly schedule other good teams. Every team we face seems like a juggernaut because we suck. Folks here were bent out of shape about playing CMU and MTSU. Now folks are concerned about playing WMU next year.

If Dino believes scheduling for the Quick Lane bowl is more valuable at this point than playing Wisconsin, I'll go along. He's at the helm of the program. But we've heard from the parents of multiple recruits that playing games like @ LSU, was more appealing then playing directional-state or playing in a third tier bowl game.
I don't recall ever reading anything of the sort, at least while we were in the ACC. FSU, Clemson, L'ville, etc. We add LSU-type games and we won't even be going to a third tier bowl.

Army is a no-brainer I totally agree.

The "cool town to visit" should have no say in who we schedule at all. Like it should mean zero. WVU being a historic rival should also play no factor. It's the dawning of a new day of SU football. We schedule to win, not to have nice "make a wish foundation type trips" for rich boosters to travel to nice towns opponents play in so they have a good vacation for a weekend in the fall. Don't care if we have to travel to some dump of a city to play a weak P5 school, schedule them. And the historic rival thing shouldn't also play a factor, can't live in the past we have to live in the now and the future!
Get off the “rich booster” rant. It’s getting tiresome. Nice to know there are two people that consider me rich - you and Bernie Sanders. Guess I better up my Christmas gift budget. Oh and btw, having happy “rich” boosters isn’t really a bad thing.
Call me Pollyanna but I was looking forward to seeing a resurgent Syracuse football program test itself against one of the nation’s best. I foolishly felt that we could possibly be competitive against a Top 10 team at home four years from now. I saw nothing wrong with scheduling “up” for one of our four OOC games each year. I was being unrational thinking Dino is recruiting the kind of athlete that relishes the opportunity to test himself in a college football Mecca. Disappointing day. Hopefully you get your way and we can schedule a sure win like MTSU.

I disagree with every single sentence here.

Wake Forest played Utah St, Appalachian St, and Presbyterian.

They went bowling and kicked the snot out of us. Fair to call them a “good team” this year. Or at least pretty decent. They’re not a traditional football power. They’re a program that we should realistically be able to beat and have at least as much success as of moreso.

The hottest fire makes the strongest steal.

That worked better when you started the season with a 3-0 conference record. (90s versions of a Rutgers, Temple, Pitt). As long as your bus made it to the stadium.

I’m a little bummed because I like variety in the schedule and I like big names. Was even hoping to take the trip to Madison. But I get it. We need to make sure we can better compete in the ACC before we can afford to add non conference games where we’re an underdog.

If the ACC would improve the rotation against the Coastal we could have our cake and eat it too. Notre Dame helps, but also hurts in this regard. No one will agree to a 9 game schedule while they’re in the rotation.

I think Wisconsin wanted out too once they solidified their own ND series.

I don't recall ever reading anything of the sort, at least while we were in the ACC. FSU, Clemson, L'ville, etc. We add LSU-type games and we won't even be going to a third tier bowl.
So assuming a loss against LSU type teams, you don’t feel we can get to the point where we go 6 - 5 against the balance of the schedule? We lost to MTSU, BC, and Wake at home. That’s why we’re at home this Bowl season. Not because we lost to LSU. As the roster and depth develops, if we have sny faith in what Dino is doing at all, those types of losses will disappear.

I don't recall ever reading anything of the sort, at least while we were in the ACC. FSU, Clemson, L'ville, etc.

Let me walk that back a little since i did a quick search and may be mistaken about "parents" plural. I do distinctly recall bcubs saying as much though during one of our usual scheduling threads.

On a selfish level, I was looking forward to checking out Madison, UW and Camp Randall, a place i would otherwise never venture to. I hope the replacement, if not a local team like UMASS, UBuff, etc., is a decent destination in an area we recruit (e.g., Northwestern, Illinois, Arizona, ASU, etc.).

My overarching point is who cares about playing in third-tier bowl games? Since when is that the mark of a good program. The best thing about this year was beating Clemson. The next best thing was punching LSU, Miami, and FSU in the face. If we had beaten MTSU, and one of the other conference foes, playing in a bowl would not have been a season high point (though I do think the kids like them b/c of the swag) regardless.

Last edited:
Call me Pollyanna but I was looking forward to seeing a resurgent Syracuse football program test itself against one of the nation’s best. I foolishly felt that we could possibly be competitive against a Top 10 team at home four years from now.

Go to the Clemson or FSU game then! They’re usually better than Wisconsin anyway.

So assuming a loss against LSU type teams, you don’t feel we can get to the point where we go 6 - 5 against the balance of the schedule? We lost to MTSU, BC, and Wake at home. That’s why we’re at home this Bowl season. Not because we lost to LSU. As the roster and depth develops, if we have sny faith in what Dino is doing at all, those types of losses will disappear.

BC and Wake are our peer programs.

Let’s move ourselves ahead of them first.

So, an LSU loss doesn't count?

We have to schedule to make a bowl. Every. Single. Year. With the division we play in, if that doesn't change, we may not be. I have tons of faith in HCDB. That doesn't mean I'm going to be silly about scheduling. JMO

Nothing about that is selfish. Being excited about seeing your favorite team play in an exciting historic venue in an awesome college town is what college football is all about.

People have the chance to do that about 8-9 times a year(including about 6 at our own place) every season though.

For years this board mocked Rutgers scheduling for success. Now
it is proposed as salvation for the program. Fans and recruits can
for the most part read. You can fool most people, you know the rest

?
Rutgers wasn't playing Clemson, FSU, UL, NCSU, etc...they were playing a GRob Cuse program.

Nothing about that is selfish. Being excited about seeing your favorite team play in an exciting historic venue in an awesome college town is what college football is all about.

rock_clapping.gif~c200

Alabama plays 3 tomato cans at home and a neutral site opener in the South against a solid team.
That is Alabama with more talent than anybody.
Syracuse should not be scheduling more difficult than Alabama.

Alabama plays 3 tomato cans at home and a neutral site opener in the South against a solid team.

This is a good point. But if they get left out this year, that may change.

I never understand why people put more emphasis on non conference scheduling like it’s some badge of toughness or something. They do it in college hoops too.

Just look at the schedule as a whole...is it tough or not? Ours was one of the toughest in the nation this year. Why? What did that get us? It’s going to be tough regardless and we have no control over that, so with the small part that we can control why would we choose to make it even tougher? We’re already in over our heads. Check the W/L records while all these other smarter schools(BC, Wake) in our division are going bowling every year.

Get off the “rich booster” rant. It’s getting tiresome. Nice to know there are two people that consider me rich - you and Bernie Sanders. Guess I better up my Christmas gift budget. Oh and btw, having happy “rich” boosters isn’t really a bad thing.
Call me Pollyanna but I was looking forward to seeing a resurgent Syracuse football program test itself against one of the nation’s best. I foolishly felt that we could possibly be competitive against a Top 10 team at home four years from now. I saw nothing wrong with scheduling “up” for one of our four OOC games each year. I was being unrational thinking Dino is recruiting the kind of athlete that relishes the opportunity to test himself in a college football Mecca. Disappointing day. Hopefully you get your way and we can schedule a sure win like MTSU.

I always laugh at the posters who take shots at boosters and donors and the preferred seating. They don’t get the D1 football landscape. If not for boosters, there would be no program. They must think SU is a state school supported by state $$$$.

If SU could play 2 of UMASS, UCONN and Army every year, plus the PITT and BC game it would almost be like having a mini eastern conference. Fans could drive to those games very easily.
Who would drive to see us play at UMess or UCons?

Who would drive to see us play at UMess or UCons?

I would bet that 99% of college football fans have never watched a UMass game.

He really thinks they’re a factor. Lol. Even UConn is on a whole different level.

So, an LSU loss doesn't count?

We have to schedule to make a bowl. Every. Single. Year. With the division we play in, if that doesn't change, we may not be. I have tons of faith in HCDB. That doesn't mean I'm going to be silly about scheduling. JMO

Of course, LSU counts. I, like most, just thought we had a roadmap to 6 wins that didn’t include a win in BRLA. Particularly if you forecasted an upset over Clemson. I respect your opinion greatly and understand the motivation completely. Just think we can have the best of both worlds here particularly when we are looking 3 and 4 years down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom