SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

Because they never played or beat anybody good, but their fans and other dumb people still acted like they were legit.

We are better right now than they ever were. They couldn’t ever beat a Clemson. They couldn’t ever beat a Virginia Tech. Our schedule is way harder than anything they ever played.

No, we’re not. I have no love for Rutgers and they fluffed all of their schedules. But the 06 team was nasty and they put a fair amount of talent in the nfl. We have 15 years of suckitude to go along with a couple nice upsets the past two years. We also appear to be headed in the right direction. And yes, we play a tough schedule.

But no, we’re not better than Rutgers was under schiano.

of course had we had any kind of running game we beat LSU and just slightly better play on D or no INTs we beat Miami. People act like Wisc is leaps and bounds better and always is.. They are not Alabama or Clemson or FSU elite. if this team cant beat Wisc in 2020 then we are probably struggling with every one else too just like this year.

And who is to say Wisc will still be Wisc in 2020. They are the type of team I want to play OC.. they wont out athlete you, they are a one dimensional power team and have been for years.

Hearing it was indeed Wisconsin who initiated this. Between the Notre Dame series and the Big Ten moving to 9 games they didn’t need us anymore.

No, we’re not. I have no love for Rutgers and they fluffed all of their schedules. But the 06 team was nasty and they put a fair amount of talent in the nfl. We have 15 years of suckitude to go along with a couple nice upsets the past two years. We also appear to be headed in the right direction. And yes, we play a tough schedule.

But no, we’re not better than Rutgers was under schiano.

I may have overstated it slightly because that was their ONE good team.

All those other Rutgers teams that were going bowling at 7-5 after gifting themselves 4 OOC wins and then going 3-4 in the crappy Big East - we’re better right now than those teams. We have a couple “nice upsets”...Those Rutgers teams had ZERO significant wins. 2006 beat Louisville(and they still talk about it). The rest of them beat GRob and Norfolk State.

of course had we had any kind of running game we beat LSU and just slightly better play on D or no INTs we beat Miami. People act like Wisc is leaps and bounds better and always is.. They are not Alabama or Clemson or FSU elite. if this team cant beat Wisc in 2020 then we are probably struggling with every one else too just like this year.

And who is to say Wisc will still be Wisc in 2020. They are the type of team I want to play OC.. they wont out athlete you, they are a one dimensional power team and have been for years.

Point is, we’re tapped out by November every year.

We could possibly compete with Wisconsin in a September game right now and maybe have a 10-25% chance of beating them depending on if it’s home or away...so what? We don’t need it if we’re going to FSU and Miami back to back, a few weeks later, and then end up having a defense whose limbs are being held together by soft casts and duct tape for the last couple games.

This continues to be darn right depressing. Tis the seasson I guess coinciding along with so many of these melancholy Christmas songs played everywhere you go. Place me in the camp with others who opine if we can't beat the likes of MTSU, Wake and BC at home, we don't deserve to go to any bowl game. As tough as the schedule was said to be this year, we beat those teams and we're bowling...FACT! Though, better than not going bowling at all, I also can't get too amped up for some 3rd tier 'everybody gets a trophy' type bowl game.

As much as I was looking forward to making this trip & seeing the "Jump Around" in Camp Randall first hand, not spending a weekend consuming copious amounts of alcohol & cheese products simultaneously is probably for the best.

Put me in the group that would LOVE to play Rutty every year.

I disagree with every single sentence here.

Wake Forest played Utah St, Appalachian St, and Presbyterian.

They went bowling and kicked the snot out of us. Fair to call them a “good team” this year. Or at least pretty decent. They’re not a traditional football power. They’re a program that we should realistically be able to beat and have at least as much success as of moreso.

I am going to bow out of this thread since most folks have well-settled opinions on the scheduling topic, me included.

But before i do ;), you conveniently left out that Wake played @ Notre Dame. Clemson played Auburn and South Carolina. FSU played Notre Dame and Florida. Pitt played PSU and Ok St. BC played Notre Dame. NC State played Notre Dame and South Carolina. Most ACC teams played a comparable schedule to SU. Louisville and UVA both played pretty soft schedules this year, and arguably Va Tech (toughest OCC was neutral against WVU).

As I said, our schedule is hard because we are not good. You want us to schedule easy to ensure a bowl game and more wins because you believe its better for the program. I like our scheduling, because i believe it is fair, I enjoy and value the "big games" more than bowl games. I think Dino is firmly with you.

I am going to bow out of this thread since most folks have well-settled opinions on the scheduling topic, me included.

But before i do ;), you conveniently left out that Wake played @ Notre Dame. Clemson played Auburn and South Carolina. FSU played Notre Dame and Florida. Pitt played PSU and Ok St. BC played Notre Dame. NC State played Notre Dame and South Carolina. Most ACC teams played a comparable schedule to SU. Louisville and UVA both played pretty soft schedules this year, and arguably Va Tech (toughest OCC was neutral against WVU).

As I said, our schedule is hard because we are not good. You want us to schedule easy to ensure a bowl game and more wins because you believe its better for the program. I like our scheduling, because i believe it is fair, I enjoy and value the "big games" more than bowl games. I think Dino is firmly with you.

Notre Dame is like an unofficial half ACC member though, and we’ll play them too. Isn’t there some agreement where all the ACC teams play them in certain years now? I wasn’t leaving them off trying to hide something, I thought they were a school that’s automatically scheduled for ACC teams now?

FSU, Clemson, etc are not on the same level as us. Wake and BC are. Though they’re a couple years ahead as far as having the same coach and being able to build some depth in the program...and also they’ve been going to bowls which helps recruiting and helps develop talent with the extra month of practice.

Last year BC played UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, and UConn. We beat them on their home field and were probably a better team than them. And they went bowling...and WON their bowl game against Maryland.

And now they’re better than us.

But we've heard from the parents of multiple recruits that playing games like @ LSU, was more appealing then playing directional-state or playing in a third tier bowl game.

This is an important point. People here are infatuated with the idea that somehow third tier bowl games will attract recruits. Big time nationally televised regular season matchups get much more attention around the country than random bowl games.

That's 100% a result of Dungey getting injured three consecutive years, not scheduling.

100%? Dungey doesn’t play defense. And yes, I understand how good offense helps the defense.

But there’s a reason our LB’s suddenly look like they’re running in mud the last few games, and guys miss tackles looking like they have one functioning arm(because they do!). We have zero depth at this point because we’ve changed coaches every 3-4 years for 15 years now, and playing absolute WARS every single week for two months with little depth leaves us broken and battered and slow and tapped out by November.

This is an important point. People here are infatuated with the idea that somehow third tier bowl games will attract recruits. Big time nationally televised regular season matchups get much more attention around the country than random bowl games.

So how come BC has a stud freshman RB tearing us a new one out there, coming on the heels of a season they played Buffalo, Wagner, UMass, and UConn non league?

Hearing it was indeed Wisconsin who initiated this. Between the Notre Dame series and the Big Ten moving to 9 games they didn’t need us anymore.

Translation: They see the writing on the wall and realize Syracuse is a threat. "Ax the Orange before the body bag games. ND provides cover, no need to set ourselves up for a 2nd OOC loss to the Orange"

Translation: They see the writing on the wall and realize Syracuse is a threat. "Ax the Orange before the body bag games. ND provides cover, no need to set ourselves up for a 2nd OOC loss to the Orange"

With our unique system and Dino, and the Carrier Dome - which is a “weird” venue for opponents - a Cuse team with a little more depth, speed, and talent could be the kind of team that can knock off better teams. We’ve pulled a big home upset two years in a row. We could become the kind of program that’s a pain in the butt to play even for programs that are better than us.

Like scumbag Paterno did to us when we finally starting beating them! Except that one was true ;)

Of course, LSU counts. I, like most, just thought we had a roadmap to 6 wins that didn’t include a win in BRLA. Particularly if you forecasted an upset over Clemson. I respect your opinion greatly and understand the motivation completely. Just think we can have the best of both worlds here particularly when we are looking 3 and 4 years down the road.
I get it. I really do. And I respect your opinion also. My concern is just that I want to get to the point of having a 'guaranteed' 6 wins a year, based on schedule. Then, we can think about putting an OOC high-level P5 team on the schedule in addition to the regulars.

I’m sure you’re being sarcastic but I do get laughing when people don’t want to schedule Wisconsin. It’s not easy to predict who will suck especially when the past 15 years suggests that su itself won’t be very good.

I’m fine with it but I was looking forward to a cool matchup. Whatevs
I was just referencing one of the most absurd threads ever created on this board and I'm so glad I just got to go re-read it.
What if the B1G goes for UMASS?

For years this board mocked Rutgers scheduling for success. Now
it is proposed as salvation for the program. Fans and recruits can
for the most part read. You can fool most people, you know the rest
That analysis applied in the old big east. Not relevant any longer, for either team.

It’s kinda pathetic but necessary because we sold our soul to the ACC. I think the conference configuration is gerrymandered against us w the two big boys in our conference so scheduling anything else Is foolish. I have no problem selling out bc college football is a sell out of massive big money hypocrisy.

I do think we should use any chance to play Rutgers/WVU as our big OOC game bc they will have some buzz and history to them.

This is the part that will continue to get lost in this thread’s debate.

I’m sure Wildhack wasn’t heartbroken, because it really was mutual, but I also don’t think we initiated it.

My concern is just that I want to get to the point of having a 'guaranteed' 6 wins a year, based on schedule.

I think that's an impossible objective. I mean Tennessee, Florida, FSU, Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Auburn, Nebraska and so many other historical powers have had losing seasons recently. Nobody is guaranteed anything.

We have had three winning seasons in the past 16 seasons. The idea that we will get to a point where 6 wins are "guaranteed" just isn't realistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom