Sudden recruiting uptick... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sudden recruiting uptick...

i find it hard to beleive that a player like brown would wanna transfer to another school after a freshman season like the one he is having...I guess it's possible...I just see it very unlikely, even in the wild west of today.

he's already at a "name" school in acc...he's fit into the team and thriving...why risk going to a worse situation??? look at all of the tranfsers cuse have had lately...none have been drafted. done a whole lot at their new schools, really.

I realize cuse is a bit down lately but there arent many programs that would be worth the risk of transferring to, if any.

If he went to Duke, for instance, good chance he sits on the bench behind 5 star recruits etc...

the lane he's in now,...is headed to the promised land...why jump at an off-ramp? even without NIL at Cuse, it would be a bad decision, imo

NIL is chump change to what an NBA/pro bball player will make at the next level.
It all comes down to where will he make more $$$$. If Duke offers him $500,000 more than SU, I think he goes. And there is no guarantee that any player will make big NBA money, so if you can get a couple of million before walking out the door in college, hey, why not. If he is going to be a bench player at Duke then they are not coming for him with more money. But there are other school that might, that may give him the visibility. Right now, unfortunately, we are not the end game or the top of the basketball food chain.

I'd say NIT or better
Given what is on the roster, yes. But by the standards that I think the program should be held to, that’s a different story…

At a minimum they should be in the tournament, safely off the bubble, with a reasonable goal of playing for a protected seed. Top 25 ranking. Top 4 ACC. this isn’t unreasonable.

It all comes down to where will he make more $$$$. If Duke offers him $500,000 more than SU, I think he goes. And there is no guarantee that any player will make big NBA money, so if you can get a couple of million before walking out the door in college, hey, why not. If he is going to be a bench player at Duke then they are not coming for him with more money. But there are other school that might, that may give him the visibility. Right now, unfortunately, we are not the end game or the top of the basketball food chain.
i mean, again, not saying it cant or wont happen

but i'll beleive it when I see it.

all the players who have left recently werent featured or happy with their roles and werent thriving...thats not brown.

If a thriving, good player leaves...it will be something new.

Because there was not NIL before this year...Now there is. That is what is new. Or if it was just starting, it has really taken off now, and for transfers, not just incoming players. It is a new world. What happened before is not going to be relevant in the future world.

Per the current NCAA rules it isn’t legal.
But everything AW has been doing is approved my SU’s compliance department.

No school is technically “buying” players with NIL since it’s not “pay for play”.

i find it hard to beleive that a player like brown would wanna transfer to another school after a freshman season like the one he is having...I guess it's possible...I just see it very unlikely, even in the wild west of today.

he's already at a "name" school in acc...he's fit into the team and thriving...why risk going to a worse situation??? look at all of the tranfsers cuse have had lately...none have been drafted. done a whole lot at their new schools, really.

I realize cuse is a bit down lately but there arent many programs that would be worth the risk of transferring to, if any.

If he went to Duke, for instance, good chance he sits on the bench behind 5 star recruits etc...

the lane he's in now,...is headed to the promised land...why jump at an off-ramp? even without NIL at Cuse, it would be a bad decision, imo

NIL is chump change to what an NBA/pro bball player will make at the next level.
Kadary Richmond went to the Big East and Quincy went to the PAC12 and play less than they did here. If kids don’t want to be here they don’t want to be here.

But everything AW has been doing is approved my SU’s compliance department.

No school is technically “buying” players with NIL since it’s not “pay for play”.

The ncaa isn’t going to enforce anything so everyone is doing it now.

Or the potential of one all of a sudden. Does this indicate the staff giving a clear message on the coaching situation? Clearly 2023 was quiet. In part because of the large class the prior year but likely also because of the uncertainty around JB. Just makes me wonder, if we are on the verge of signing potentially more than one kid for 2024, if that obvious point has been clarified. If so it seems to indicate one of the underlings will be the guy. I haven’t heard the question asked directly of any of these recruits, but is a pretty obvious one for any interviewer.
I'll wait until I see some closing done. Last couple of years alot of names were tossed around, and w/ all due respect to the current frosh, not much came out of it.
$ or no $, let's see some names on the dotted line before giving this concept a thumbs up.

Last edited:
the latest recruit that Adam flew in with a couple of rappers on a private jet is the #97 recruit? That’s comparable to Bell’s final ranking. I hope he realizes that to win a championship - as he predicts in the next 5 years - we’ll have to secure some elite talent.

Last edited:
the latest recruit that Adam flew in with a couple of rappers on a private jet is the #97 recruit? That’s comparable to Bell’s final ranking. I hope he realizes that to win a championship - as he predicts in the next 5 years - we’ll have to secure some elite talent.
I think Moore will be much higher than #97 by the time final rankings come out in 2024

So if the arena of college athletics today requires big outside $$, where does SU stand competitively with the rest of the world. AW might be unique here, but he certainly has many, many comparable deep pockets out there. I would guess we're middle of the pack at best.

i mean, again, not saying it cant or wont happen

but i'll beleive it when I see it.

all the players who have left recently werent featured or happy with their roles and werent thriving...thats not brown.

If a thriving, good player leaves...it will be something new.
Quincy Guerrier was doing well. I would call him a good player (at SU).

Kids have been getting fat ole bags for longer than I’ve been alive. It’s just above the table now. Guess that’s harder for purists to stomach.
Just making it visible doesn't make it legitimate or less distasteful. It's replacing one sham with another.

So if the arena of college athletics today requires big outside $$, where does SU stand competitively with the rest of the world. AW might be unique here, but he certainly has many, many comparable deep pockets out there. I would guess we're middle of the pack at best.

We have two collectives, the 315 Foundation and Athletes Who Care. Both have some big donors and I know they have “taken care” of many athletes across a few sports. Don’t know their involvement in recruits.

Moore is 6’4” and can flat out shoot from all three levels. He’s athletic enough to be a great player in the ACC. The one thing you have to do in this conference is score the ball. The recruits we’re looking at can all score and are good athletes.

We have two collectives, the 315 Foundation and Athletes Who Care. Both have some big donors and I know they have “taken care” of many athletes across a few sports. Don’t know their involvement in recruits.
I've read both charters and they seem focused on community activities, social programs, and available to more athletes with minimal demands on their time. AW seems solely focused on rewarding talent (incoming and current) and upgrading the overall talent level. That's fine, but it has a different objective than putting a few bucks in player's pockets. It borders on creating a pay scale based on performance or ability to contribute to the success of the team. Not saying it's wrong, just a different objective.

I've read both charters and they seem focused on community activities, social programs, and available to more athletes with minimal demands on their time. AW seems solely focused on rewarding talent (incoming and current) and upgrading the overall talent level. That's fine, but it has a different objective than putting a few bucks in player's pockets. It borders on creating a pay scale based on performance or ability to contribute to the success of the team. Not saying it's wrong, just a different objective.

All true. But the collectives have helped with more than a few bucks in keeping some players here this past season.

Quincy Guerrier was doing well. I would call him a good player (at SU).
yeah but jimmy was being brought in to start over him so...idk...that was different...facing a demotion basically

The thing with these NILs… nothing stops another program from offering a better deal later on right? It’s no different than Cal swooping in last minute with a bigger bag.

The thing with these NILs… nothing stops another program from offering a better deal later on right? It’s no different than Cal swooping in last minute with a bigger bag.

Not sure. If they sign a contract…….

Not sure. If they sign a contract…….
But what stops the kid from breaking a contract? It would be interesting to see the language/legalese.

But what stops the kid from breaking a contract? It would be interesting to see the language/legalese.
Might be liquidated damages clauses, but not sure if they would stand up.