Sudden recruiting uptick... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sudden recruiting uptick...

I’m still waiting for everyone to complain and say we shouldn’t be doing this since everyone complained about how unfair it was for so long at other schools.
Dont wait any longer. I hate it all….transfer rule, NIL, private jets with rappers to a game….. it all sucks. Whether we do it or another school. I get why we’re doing it but it’s all SLIME. College sports is a cesspool of sludge and raw sewage.

Yes. Now allowed and being used like crazy. Based on a supreme court ruling that players could profit from their name, image and likeness (NIL). It has to be arms length from recruiting so it is not pay for play. Usually involves doing some sort of promotional work for a company , or in Adam's case he is paying them to do community service projects. There are some "rules" and Weitsman has to go through SU compliance for approvals, which he is making very clear that he is doing.
So the players who will be sitting courtside with him tonight are being flown up with their families in private jets. They will not be talking to the coaching staff as you have to keep NIL recruiting separate from Syracuse University recruiting.
I can only image how after you fly them in private jets all over the country, wind and dine them, and pay them millions of dollars that they will be "putty" in the coaches hands. I think most teams will have a lot of drama queens starting. This could be fun to watch in the future.
Linda, I just saw this. Thanks for that answer.

I think my favorite part of this whole thing was that Boogie Fland wasn't available, so Weitsman was like "eh?"... then hit the personal rolodex for the next available Boogie & landed on A Boogie wit da Hoodie & brought him instead. The low key flex is so strong, haha.

Yes. Now allowed and being used like crazy. Based on a supreme court ruling that players could profit from their name, image and likeness (NIL). It has to be arms length from recruiting so it is not pay for play. Usually involves doing some sort of promotional work for a company , or in Adam's case he is paying them to do community service projects. There are some "rules" and Weitsman has to go through SU compliance for approvals, which he is making very clear that he is doing.
So the players who will be sitting courtside with him tonight are being flown up with their families in private jets. They will not be talking to the coaching staff as you have to keep NIL recruiting separate from Syracuse University recruiting.
I can only image how after you fly them in private jets all over the country, wind and dine them, and pay them millions of dollars that they will be "putty" in the coaches hands. I think most teams will have a lot of drama queens starting. This could be fun to watch in the future.
And the NIL advertisers and boosters can’t coordinate the recruitment in any way with the coaching staffs/programs. They can’t even talk about it. But Duke and UK and Kansas have been using certain boosters to do this stuff for years. Then schools like LSU basketball got in the game but got in trouble for it b/c of the FBI wiretap (and fired their coach when they got caught… should also be banned from tourney but that’s a different story). I agree, this is not sustainable in the long run. We need federal intervention to set up some guardrails.

I can see these NIL contracts eventually being required to not box a player into a particular residence. If you want a player to perform a service, where he lives should not matter, right?

I can see these NIL contracts eventually being required to not box a player into a particular residence. If you want a player to perform a service, where he lives should not matter, right?
Who’s going to make that rule? Contracts are decided between the two parties. Anyone who says the NCAA or Congress is going to do anything here has their head in the sand.

As a contract litigation attorney, one thing I'm 99% sure of is that if a kid wanted to break his contract and play somewhere else, Adam would let him without suing him for damages (and, as a matter of law, he couldn't force performance). It would be a horrible look if Adam sues a recruit or otherwise tries to enforce a contract provision. That would scare off other recruits. Also he doesn't need the money damages.

As a contract litigation attorney, one thing I'm 99% sure of is that if a kid wanted to break his contract and play somewhere else, Adam would let him without suing him for damages (and, as a matter of law, he couldn't force performance). It would be a horrible look if Adam sues a recruit or otherwise tries to enforce a contract provision. That would scare off other recruits. Also he doesn't need the money damages.

Yeah it's the same reason why you rarely, if ever, will see a school sue a donor who doesn't fulfill a pledge. Not worth the hassle and you don't want to scare off other donors who might fear being sued if they make a commitment that they end up not being able to/choose not to complete.

Yeah it's the same reason why you rarely, if ever, will see a school sue a donor who doesn't fulfill a pledge. Not worth the hassle and you don't want to scare off other donors who might fear being sued if they make a commitment that they end up not being able to/choose not to complete.
So you’re saying if I pledge $50M to SU and get my name on a new building… that they won’t come after me if I am suddenly not able to give a penny?

I hear what you are saying but what keeps a recruit from taking a NIL contract, living some place else and playing for another team?

the latest recruit that Adam flew in with a couple of rappers on a private jet is the #97 recruit? That’s comparable to Bell’s final ranking. I hope he realizes that to win a championship - as he predicts in the next 5 years - we’ll have to secure some elite talent.
Thats a little concerning to me that shows how much decline our program has went through. Moore might be a really good player, and be underrated etc but to have to roll out the red carpet for a barely Top 100 player who wont even be playing here until October of 2024 (unless he reclassifies, of course) is hard to get excited about.

Appreciate and thankful for what Adam is doing and maybe this is what needs to be done to get the ball rolling and dominoes to start falling to create momentum.

But I think with the state of our program right now, we might need to over pay to get recruits. As a Mets fan, I know the feeling of having to outbid other franchises to get the best free agents.

I think the next investment he might need to make is retain Jesse or lure a portal C if he leaves. Or another F if Benny or someone leaves.

I hear what you are saying but what keeps a recruit from taking a NIL contract, living some place else and playing for another team?
Im no expert, but nothing except terms of contract and compensation.

You wait to compensate until they are enrolled in class and here locally for intended school/team.

You dont want to compensate a ton way before they sign a National Letter of Intent and flip their commitment. That would be losing out on a good faith investment.

And the NIL advertisers and boosters can’t coordinate the recruitment in any way with the coaching staffs/programs. They can’t even talk about it. But Duke and UK and Kansas have been using certain boosters to do this stuff for years. Then schools like LSU basketball got in the game but got in trouble for it b/c of the FBI wiretap (and fired their coach when they got caught… should also be banned from tourney but that’s a different story). I agree, this is not sustainable in the long run. We need federal intervention to set up some guardrails.
It is absurd for any reasonable person to think that what AW is doing with Moore (and other high school prospects) is not directly tied to recruiting. It's not a criticism of him, but a criticism of a system that is totally out of control and hypocritical to say the least. The fact that it was done under cover previously, and is now out in the open doesn't justify the fact that it can't be called for what it is. Let's put all the cards on the table, then figure out what can work legitimately for college sports and college athletes. There's a business model out there which needs to be implemented. We're just at the initial stages of making that happen.

So you’re saying if I pledge $50M to SU and get my name on a new building… that they won’t come after me if I am suddenly not able to give a penny?

Yes that's what I'm saying, in most cases. Of course, they aren't going to accept your commitment without assurance that they believe you are able and willing to follow through on that pledge. Examples of schools suing donors are few and far between, and usually only happen in extreme cases.

Thats a little concerning to me that shows how much decline our program has went through. Moore might be a really good player, and be underrated etc but to have to roll out the red carpet for a barely Top 100 player who wont even be playing here until October of 2024 (unless he reclassifies, of course) is hard to get excited about.

Appreciate and thankful for what Adam is doing and maybe this is what needs to be done to get the ball rolling and dominoes to start falling to create momentum.

But I think with the state of our program right now, we might need to over pay to get recruits. As a Mets fan, I know the feeling of having to outbid other franchises to get the best free agents.

I think the next investment he might need to make is retain Jesse or lure a portal C if he leaves. Or another F if Benny or someone leaves.
Moore won't be ranked 97 when all is said and done. Look at the player not the ranking.

Sorry, Usually you need to give a portion of that up front before they put your name on said building that also takes a few years to build, and during said few years, they might expect you to pay more of your so called "contribution" So come prepared to give a starting sum of, oh, maybe $10 million of your $50 million "pledge"

It is absurd for any reasonable person to think that what AW is doing with Moore (and other high school prospects) is not directly tied to recruiting. It's not a criticism of him, but a criticism of a system that is totally out of control and hypocritical to say the least. The fact that it was done under cover previously, and is now out in the open doesn't justify the fact that it can't be called for what it is. Let's put all the cards on the table, then figure out what can work legitimately for college sports and college athletes. There's a business model out there which needs to be implemented. We're just at the initial stages of making that happen.
I believe it is done through 3rd party services that are set up by each school's athletic departments. Of course they need to know who we want, so that recruit puts their name into our NIL "interest" portal, and then AW gets it from there. It is the actual negotiations that is hands off, and for ex. when Moore comes up with Adam in the private jet with the big hip hop or rap artists, AW makes it perfectly clear on all social media and press that this person is NOT on a recruiting trip and is his personal guest. He also points out that Moore will not be talking to any coach or team player during his NIL visit. AW is very good about keeping the NIL separate from recruiting. We do have a poster on here who knows AW and can clarify the process better if we need. I am also guessing those on here who serve on the athletic board can also chime in. But instead of saying it is "directly" tied to recruiting, I think the better word is "peripherally".

I believe it is done through 3rd party services that are set up by each school's athletic departments. Of course they need to know who we want, so that recruit puts their name into our NIL "interest" portal, and then AW gets it from there. It is the actual negotiations that is hands off, and for ex. when Moore comes up with Adam in the private jet with the big hip hop or rap artists, AW makes it perfectly clear on all social media and press that this person is NOT on a recruiting trip and is his personal guest. He also points out that Moore will not be talking to any coach or team player during his NIL visit. AW is very good about keeping the NIL separate from recruiting. We do have a poster on here who knows AW and can clarify the process better if we need. I am also guessing those on here who serve on the athletic board can also chime in. But instead of saying it is "directly" tied to recruiting, I think the better word is "peripherally".
I'm not criticizing you, but whether it's "peripheral" or not it's just a matter of semantics. I doubt that any of his personal guests that happen to be high school basketball players aren't recruits. Now if he just happens to bring up a national merit scholar to entice him to attend SU you might be able to change my mind. In the meantime, if it happens to be a highly skilled high school athlete I just can't help but think there might be an ulterior motive here. The fact that he (or any other program) can currently do it doesn't mean it will not have to be addressed in the very near future. Just isn't sustainable the way it is now.

Here’s a novel idea - NCAA gives each school an NIL collective “salary cap” with tie-in to academic progress.

Not to beat a dead horse but my grandson had a recent recruiting experience, just in the world of business. His "official" recruiting visit mainly involved the typical one on one interviews and discussion about the company executives. He was brought back a second time, but that visit was solely to wine and dine him and show him the benefits of living in the area. Never once met with company executives. In the real world these were both "recruiting" visits intended to entice him to join the company. Both visits influenced his decision. See any similarities??

Is there evidence that Duke has paid players?

I'm not criticizing you, but whether it's "peripheral" or not it's just a matter of semantics. I doubt that any of his personal guests that happen to be high school basketball players aren't recruits. Now if he just happens to bring up a national merit scholar to entice him to attend SU you might be able to change my mind. In the meantime, if it happens to be a highly skilled high school athlete I just can't help but think there might be an ulterior motive here. The fact that he (or any other program) can currently do it doesn't mean it will not have to be addressed in the very near future. Just isn't sustainable the way it is now.
I prefer this model over the previous one which allowed UK, Duke, UNC, and Kansas to do whatever the Fcuk they want while everyone else got penalized for having players work at the YMCA.

Last edited:
You just make weekly personal appearances a part of the contract that would make living anywhere else onerous... "Weekly appearance Friday morning outside Manley fieldhouse for photo opportunity" for instance.

Any serious beach of contract is cause for cancellation.

EDIT: I don't think they are writing a million dollar check and walking away. It will bea salary like any job. And like any job you can get fired for not performing. If the player doesn't fulfill obligations implicit or implied, they'll get fired for their breach. Just like any job.

Last edited: