Summer Workouts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Anyone hearing anything about who may be surprising in their unofficial workouts?

That actually didn't have my favorite play of his on the season.

It was a simple thing, but he got the ball at half court, saw the defense sleeping and in poor position, and made a simple drive and lay in.

It's the kind of good, fundamental play that makes the game easier that we need more of.

That actually didn't have my favorite play of his on the season.

It was a simple thing, but he got the ball at half court, saw the defense sleeping and in poor position, and made a simple drive and lay in.

It's the kind of good, fundamental play that makes the game easier that we need more of.
It's the curse of ESPN, just making the right play doesn't make it to the highlights... So every kid tries to do 360 dunks in traffic instead of laying it in.

Copeland is fun, but we don't really know what he can do yet. Half his positive plays come on "no, no, no, Yes!" type plays. He also had a lot of negative plays. If he can tighten those plays down, he can be very good for us. He's made to play a big guard in a three guards lineup.

He had 6 rebounds and .8 blocks per 40 minutes in conference play. By comparison, our forwards:

Chris Bell 4.2 and .6
Justin Taylor 4.3 and .5
Benny Williams 7.1 and .6
Maliq Brown 8.6 and 1.1

Though listed as a guard, Copeland fits right into that group as a rebounder and shot blocker.

If he can harness his other abilities...

Copeland is fun, but we don't really know what he can do yet. Half his positive plays come on "no, no, no, Yes!" type plays. He also had a lot of negative plays. If he can tighten those plays down, he can be very good for us.
He didn't really have a lot of negative plays, though. That's perception of his style more than reality, I think. It seems like he's a guy that would have a lot of negative plays, but at least on turnovers, he averaged 2.8 per 40. Not crazy for a ball handler. That's exactly what Judah and Joe averaged per 40.

He did have a negative assist to turnover ratio, but for a freshman playing irregular minutes that's probably somewhat expected.

He didn't really have a lot of negative plays, though. That's perception of his style more than reality, I think. It seems like he's a guy that would have a lot of negative plays, but at least on turnovers, he averaged 2.8 per 40. Not crazy for a ball handler. That's exactly what Judah and Joe averaged per 40.

He did have a negative assist to turnover ratio, but for a freshman playing irregular minutes that's probably somewhat expected.
When I was referring to negative plays, his .346 shooting is the largest part. He, like many players, forces up a bad shot when in over his head. A missed shot isn't a turnover, but one that is rushed with no chance of going in can lead to a break the other way.

His turnovers weren't great when you look at his season numbers. However, Copeland did much better with turnovers in conference play, averaging 2.4 assists to 1.2 turnovers in conference play. This sign of increasing maturity with the ball gives me much hope for him next season.

Copeland has good underlying statistics in steals, blocks, rebounding, assists to turnovers. I'm hopeful.

When I was referring to negative plays, his .346 shooting is the largest part. He, like many players, forces up a bad shot when in over his head. A missed shot isn't a turnover, but one that is rushed with no chance of going in can lead to a break the other way.

His turnovers weren't great when you look at his season numbers. However, Copeland did much better with turnovers in conference play, averaging 2.4 assists to 1.2 turnovers in conference play. This sign of increasing maturity with the ball gives me much hope for him next season.

Copeland has good underlying statistics in steals, blocks, rebounding, assists to turnovers. I'm hopeful.
I see what you're saying. I have pretty low expectations for freshman shooting percentages, so I tend to gloss over that. Plus, he didn't seem like a "bad shots" guy. If anything, I wanted him to be more selfish hunting his own shot. He seemed to get himself in trouble and put guys in weird positions being a little too unselfish. And he missed a lot of bunnies.

I'm optimistic that he figures it out. Like you said, there's a stat stuffer quality to his game some guys never really figure out. The more obvious basketball skill (scoring) will sort itself out.

Edited to add: he's like the polar opposite of Bell. Bell will make shots and score points in the minutes he gets. Pretty wide variation game to game on what else he gives you, and it might even be nothing.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. I have pretty low expectations for freshman shooting percentages, so I tend to gloss over that. Plus, he didn't seem like a "bad shots" guy. If anything, I wanted him to be more selfish hunting his own shot. He seemed to get himself in trouble and put guys in weird positions being a little too unselfish. And he missed a lot of bunnies.

I'm optimistic that he figures it out. Like you said, there's a stat stuffer quality to his game some guys never really figure out. The more obvious basketball skill (scoring) will sort itself out.

Edited to add: he's like the polar opposite of Bell. Bell will make shots and score points in the minutes he gets. Pretty wide variation game to game on what else he gives you, and it might even be nothing.
All good points.

My memory of his play and his good A/TO ratio in conference play didn't jive because of his tendency to overpass.

Maybe it's just that a normal inaccurate pass that gets knocked away for a turnover doesn't stand out in my mind like the more spectacular turnovers Copeland's tend to be.

Quadir wasn’t the main ball handler when he was on the floor and his turnovers per 40 are the same as the guys who have the ball the most. Just needs to clean up on turnovers and simplify his game

Quadir wasn’t the main ball handler when he was on the floor and his turnovers per 40 are the same as the guys who have the ball the most. Just needs to clean up on turnovers and simplify his game

He also just needs to realize 80 pct of the time its about making the simple play and being the hard working energy guy that does everything on the court. There will be that 20 pct throughout the season where matchups and growth as a player provides those special moments to showcase his ability to change a game through his vision, ball handling and flair.

His emotion and tenacity is infectious and will help the team for certain.

Last edited:
He also just needs to realize 80 pct of the time its about making the simple play and being the hard working energy guy that does everyone on the court. There will be that 20 pct throughout the season where matchups and growth as a player provides those special moments to showcase his ability to change a game through his vision, ball handling and flair.

His emotion and tenacity is infectious and will help the team for certain.
Oh My George Takai GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom