Summer Workouts | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Two bold predictions based on absolutely no knowledge:

1. Davis will be more effective than Freeman, at least for the first half of the season and maybe the whole thing.*
2. We'll be at our best with Carlos on the floor.

*Might be predicting this because Benny scarred me when it comes to big forwards ranked highly on potential and athleticism.
Benny had zero basketball skills.

Don’t love a video with Chance on a bike :/
Hope no one is relying on him this season. I have no knowledge of the situation, but it seems to me that Chance is likely just one of those injury prone people. Lord knows we've had plenty of those lately..

Hope no one is relying on him this season. I have no knowledge of the situation, but it seems to me that Chance is likely just one of those injury prone people. Lord knows we've had plenty of those lately..

He’s an X factor if truly healthy. It’s all an “if”. My biggest worry is he’s got knees like Brandon Roy did except how they were at the end.

Could absolutely just be him warming up/down. Nothing about it says injury.

Of course and wasn’t saying it did- simply just hoping to see him on the court vs on the sideline as much as possible. Last year before the re injury was announced even the little highlight videos of the pre season showed Chance on the side etc so again just hoping it’s nothing more than just a coincidence with how they filmed it which is probably the case.

With the "scare" of Westry sitting on the exercise bike fresh in my mind, I spent a few minutes thinking about the rotation without Westry. Our core players will be Lampkin, Freeman, Bell and Starling, with the other starter being in flux (my guess is Lucas Taylor, but reasonable men may differ) and the minutes after the big 4 being matchup and "what have you done for me lately" driven.

I talked myself into liking Lucas Taylor more than Davis recently because of their disparity in shooting and the opportunity cost of Davis being on the floor... We want Bell and Freeman out there whenever possible.

My latest thoughts on rotation and minutes.

Lampkin, McLeod 25-15
Freeman, Davis, Majstorovic 30-8-2
Bell, Davis, Taylor 32-5-3
Starling, Taylor, Moore 32-6-2
Carlos, Taylor, Cuffe 20-10-10

Lampkin 25
McLeod 15
Freeman 30
Davis 13
Bell 32
Taylor 19
Carlos 20
Starling 32
Cuffe 10

Deep bench, Moore, Majstorovic 4

Moore and Majstorovic will have plenty of DNPs, but also get it there for relatively big minutes some games, but mostly the first 9 will rotate in and out.

I think late season, Davis loses minutes as Bell and Freeman need to be out there, and one of the guards not named Starling will also come out of the rotation, as Red trims the do or die lineup to a JB-like 7.5.

Lampkin, McLeod 25-15
Freeman, Davis 35-5
Bell, Davis 35-5
Starling, Guard1 35-5
Guard2, Guard1 25-15

Two late points:

I have no solid guesses as to whom Guard1 and Guard2 will be in this instance.

If you type guard often enough in a short period it stops looking like a real word.

If Westry is healthy and the player I think he is, one of the guards gets pushed down or out of the rotation by Westry. Again, I really have no idea how the order looks right now.

It does seem to signify they aren't fully attuned to what lunatics we are, reading a ton into a random pic from a tweet...

Warming up is highly the most likely truth given its sort of a “hard work” video but it’s not the image I would have used given how things have gone for Chance at SU to date.

Anyone heard anything on how Petar has looked now that he’s working out with the team? Curious if he’s raising some eyebrows and could be a contributor this year or is more likely to be a development year. Thanks in advance for any input

Welp, McLeod is seen in a walking boot today…

He was before and Donna noted it in the article.

FYI subscriber article.

Also I would note that the boot could be for recovery after practice and workouts to minimize stress on it while walking around campus. That’s hardly unusual and would make sense.

Last edited:
With the "scare" of Westry sitting on the exercise bike fresh in my mind, I spent a few minutes thinking about the rotation without Westry. Our core players will be Lampkin, Freeman, Bell and Starling, with the other starter being in flux (my guess is Lucas Taylor, but reasonable men may differ) and the minutes after the big 4 being matchup and "what have you done for me lately" driven.

I talked myself into liking Lucas Taylor more than Davis recently because of their disparity in shooting and the opportunity cost of Davis being on the floor... We want Bell and Freeman out there whenever possible.

My latest thoughts on rotation and minutes.

Lampkin, McLeod 25-15
Freeman, Davis, Majstorovic 30-8-2
Bell, Davis, Taylor 32-5-3
Starling, Taylor, Moore 32-6-2
Carlos, Taylor, Cuffe 20-10-10

Lampkin 25
McLeod 15
Freeman 30
Davis 13
Bell 32
Taylor 19
Carlos 20
Starling 32
Cuffe 10

Deep bench, Moore, Majstorovic 4

Moore and Majstorovic will have plenty of DNPs, but also get it there for relatively big minutes some games, but mostly the first 9 will rotate in and out.

I think late season, Davis loses minutes as Bell and Freeman need to be out there, and one of the guards not named Starling will also come out of the rotation, as Red trims the do or die lineup to a JB-like 7.5.

Lampkin, McLeod 25-15
Freeman, Davis 35-5
Bell, Davis 35-5
Starling, Guard1 35-5
Guard2, Guard1 25-15

Two late points:

I have no solid guesses as to whom Guard1 and Guard2 will be in this instance.

If you type guard often enough in a short period it stops looking like a real word.

If Westry is healthy and the player I think he is, one of the guards gets pushed down or out of the rotation by Westry. Again, I really have no idea how the order looks right now.
Look after 2 years of not playing if Westry contributes it probably won't be a lot. I can't see him playing more than 20 minutes a game. After 2 years there will be a lot of rust, and with injury history, He probably should play limited minutes.
If he gets through the year with no more problems then next year he can become a fulltime player.

Look after 2 years of not playing if Westry contributes it probably won't be a lot. I can't see him playing more than 20 minutes a game. After 2 years there will be a lot of rust, and with injury history, He probably should play limited minutes.
If he gets through the year with no more problems then next year he can become a fulltime player.
Fair enough. My expectations from Westry have gone down continually as the reports and videos seem to indicate he's not the player we projected when he was an unusual top40 prospect.

I really thought last year he could come in and be great for us. He still could, details of how he really is with his health and skills are hidden behind the blue curtain.

If he's the guy from two years ago before the injuries started, he's our fifth starter and one of our best players.

He won't be that guy to start the year. He might never be that guy again.

I'm halfway expecting he's going the Sidibe/Coleman route. Some guys just never recover.

My fingers are crossed.

But we'll be ok if he can't play, Red did a good job recruiting depth and talent after the struggles last year.

Last edited:
Very awesome to hear Petar, Elijah and all the new guys! I'm a New Yorker, but tough to argue with Lamp about Texas and Louisiana food.

Got family down there and no ribs, Mexican (except Mexico) and breakfast tacos touch Austin TX and no Po' Boys touch New Orleans.
Memphis for ribs.

Memphis for ribs.
dfcf3e4b-4883-4313-9cdc-5acc7d9554a8_text.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors