Summer Workouts | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Guess who is in town (for football?)

I saw that he was at Fran’s press conference. While he was in town, I hope he took the time to apologize to Red for trashing him and our staff on social media a few months ago. I love DC but he needs to do everything he can to support Coach Red. DC’s one of our most important Orange alumni.

I think his floor game improving is naturally something we’ve already litigated needing improvement. I was really focused on his ability as a primary option and what I like about his ability in that role in terms of what we have seen and what we know works in cbb.
Thought his game against UNC was a really good one. The first one against NC State was great too. When he gets into that mid-range consistently he's tough as a scorer. He actually averaged close to 16 ppg from mid-Jan on, but we were left with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths because he wasn't great the last three games (l'ville/clemson/nc state).

I think he can be a capable scorer. Just needs to do it consistently.

Thought his game against UNC was a really good one. The first one against NC State was great too. When he gets into that mid-range consistently he's tough as a scorer. He actually averaged close to 16 ppg from mid-Jan on, but we were left with a bit of a sour taste in our mouths because he wasn't great the last three games (l'ville/clemson/nc state).

I think he can be a capable scorer. Just needs to do it consistently.

Hopefully Mintz being gone along with his own improvements and an older team helps too. Those last two games Mintz took 21 shots in each to add insult to injury.

McLeod in a boot again. Here we go lol

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Soreness can be an issue with that injury and have nothing to do with re injury.

Two bold predictions based on absolutely no knowledge:

1. Davis will be more effective than Freeman, at least for the first half of the season and maybe the whole thing.*
2. We'll be at our best with Carlos on the floor.

*Might be predicting this because Benny scarred me when it comes to big forwards ranked highly on potential and athleticism.

Two bold predictions based on absolutely no knowledge:

1. Davis will be more effective than Freeman, at least for the first half of the season and maybe the whole thing.*
2. We'll be at our best with Carlos on the floor.

*Might be predicting this because Benny scarred me when it comes to big forwards ranked highly on potential and athleticism.
If Freeman can't beat out Davis early and overwhelmingly, the upside for our season is very low.

Davis is the least likely transfer to have a big impact on our season, at least on the court.

I think of Davis as Freeman insurance and don't think his game will translate to the ACC well at all. Small forward size, power forward game, and average (by the extremely high division one basketball scale) athleticism that isn't going to make up for his size deficiency.

Davis is listed at 6'7" 220lb, which is not going to compete with the taller, stronger big men in the ACC for long. Even at Delaware, in the CAA, (the 19th or 21st best conference last season, depending on rating system) Davis was a good, but not dominant, rebounder and scorer, with low efficiency because he was his team's best player. And it's not like he carried them anywhere, as they finished 6th in the conference.

I'm hoping that his value to the team comes largely in mentoring Freeman and playing 10-12 minutes per game backing up our two star forwards, or we are in trouble.

Davis is solid, experienced depth. That's all.

I like Davis as a player, and I'm glad he's here, but I hope Freeman keeps him on the bench because Freeman is too good not to play.

If Freeman can't beat out Davis early and overwhelmingly, the upside for our season is very low.

Davis is the least likely transfer to have a big impact on our season, at least on the court.

I think of Davis as Freeman insurance and don't think his game will translate to the ACC well at all. Small forward size, power forward game, and average (by the extremely high division one basketball scale) athleticism that isn't going to make up for his size deficiency.

Davis is listed at 6'7" 220lb, which is not going to compete with the taller, stronger big men in the ACC for long. Even at Delaware, in the CAA, (the 19th or 21st best conference last season, depending on rating system) Davis was a good, but not dominant, rebounder and scorer, with low efficiency because he was his team's best player. And it's not like he carried them anywhere, as they finished 6th in the conference.

I'm hoping that his value to the team comes largely in mentoring Freeman and playing 10-12 minutes per game backing up our two star forwards, or we are in trouble.

I like Davis as a player, and I'm glad he's here, but I hope Freeman keeps him on the bench because Freeman is too good not to play.
Davis isn't any smaller than Guerrier or Brissett, who were good 4s for us the last few years.

I haven't watched Davis other than highlights so I don't really know much about him - just going off feel, which in part is me probably being cautious since Freeman's recruiting stature as a big athletic forward ranked high mostly on potential and athleticism reminds me of Benny. There's obviously loads of differences between them too, I just haven't shaken off that debacle yet.

Also I'm hoping being a role player helps Davis, as being the star on offense probably didn't suit his game.

I agree that if Freeman doesn't decisively beat out Davis, our ceiling will not be great. Hopefully he plays himself into the lotto.

Davis isn't any smaller than Guerrier or Brissett, who were good 4s for us the last few years.

I haven't watched Davis other than highlights so I don't really know much about him - just going off feel, which in part is me probably being cautious since Freeman's recruiting stature as a big athletic forward ranked high mostly on potential and athleticism reminds me of Benny. There's obviously loads of differences between them too, I just haven't shaken off that debacle yet.

Also I'm hoping being a role player helps Davis, as being the star on offense probably didn't suit his game.

I agree that if Freeman doesn't decisively beat out Davis, our ceiling will not be great. Hopefully he plays himself into the lotto.
I realize my post was sounding kind of down on Davis. I'm not... I think he'll be a very solid rotation player, backing up both small and power forward.

But two of our most important players are playing the same positions as Davis. My hope is both Bell and Freeman are All-ACC type players, playing 30+ minutes a game. Davis is only playing when they aren't.

Additionally, some of our big guards are going to play a little SF in our three guard lineups. I think Westry and Lucas Taylor playing as big guards in the three guard lineup have higher upside than Davis in a lot of circumstances.

We also will try to get Majstorovic minutes, and I think they'll come from Davis, not McLeod or Lampkin. There is definitely a minutes crunch, and you kind of have to go for development and upside if Davis and Majstorovic are on equal footing after fall ball.

Davis played the 5 for Delaware at that size. He’s better than you think but he’s still depth. I’d say he has a better chance of having a bigger overall impact than Taylor does and that’s not a knock on Taylor. It will be matchup driven.

He doesn’t have to average big numbers to be an important factor.

Davis played the 5 for Delaware at that size. He’s better than you think but he’s still depth. I’d say he has a better chance of having a bigger overall impact than Taylor does and that’s not a knock on Taylor. It will be matchup driven.

He doesn’t have to average big numbers to be an important factor.
When Bell is resting, do you want Davis in his spot or Taylor, who is a little smaller (two inches and 15 pounds barred on the current roster) but a much better ball handler and three point shooter?

I don't think we have enough information, but a lineup of Center, Freeman, Davis, Starling and Guard is going to be a much worse shooting lineup than Center, Freeman, Taylor, Starling and Guard lineup. It's not really close. Davis is a guy who you might not green light even if unguarded from three. Davis is a career .246 three point shooter, compared to Taylor's .350 in a slightly better conference.

When Freeman is out, you want Davis or Majstorovic because they shore up Bell's rebounding weaknesses. But that is a limited role if Freeman is out there around 30 minutes a game.

There will be at least a handful of games this year we are really glad we have Davis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom