Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games | Syracusefan.com

Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games

That sucks. Although all of us that did our annual pilgrimage to MSG for the BET can now go for duke v. Cuse. Blarney!!

I'll get the pitchforks and torches. She is gonna catch all kind of hell for this. It's gonna get ugly, fast.

Unfortunately, Bees called this one a while back in his interpretation of her comment regarding "the big apple".

Wheres the dissapointment?? You know they are going to put it on a Weekend if they can. ;)

And if they keep to a weekend schedule this will be great for the students and tuition to get weekend bus trips to NYC. It could help many of the courses SU is offering in the longrun.
The more we get tied in with NYC and being NY's college team the better.

Of course its important to keep the dome rocking. IF all the big games are done at the garden then more good teams will be asked for early in the season pushing us away from our cupcake schedule possibly.

Wonder how the university will work that in for season tickets. With Bus rides?

...let's not get too carried away..."some games with Duke and NC"...is not every game...and NYC has been vital for the 'Cuse strategy for sometime. Certainly this board of fanatic 'Cuse fans such as myself, had to know that the positioning as the NYC team was just not for discussion but as a very real tactic to gain interest in 'Cuse from the ACC/Big Ten...remember last year when the thought was being the NYC team might help 'Cuse with Big 10...

Yes is sucks that some games will not be at the Dome...but it isnt like we havent played home games in NYC...we have joked about the fact it really isnt a home game like ESPN and analysts say...but you cannot have it both ways...if that positioning helped 'Cuse get into the ACC and out of a floundering BE...then here is to Cantor and the good Doc for thinking of it!!!!!

I am ok with this as long as we play Duke home games in Greensboro instead of that glorified high school gym in Durham.:noidea:

WOW!!! So we are going in as an unequal in hoops. Duke and Carolina will only play us if they don't have to do it on our home court. How do you compete in a conference if you don't get the homecourt advantage for your home court games. Playing at MSG is not the same as playing in the Dome!

Who couldn't see that coming after they already decided to move the best football games to NYC. They may as well tear down the Dome as they won't need it anymore for football or basketball. Just like football, when they announce schedules in the future for basketball, I bet you see a decrease in season tickets. We'll be losing Gtown, Nova, maybe UConn in the Dome and it will be replaced by UNC or Duke in the Dome every 4 years.

In all my years of following SU basketball this may be the single most idiotic decision I've ever seen. As was said above, season ticket holders are getting screwed. Buses to NYC, please! Home games are Carrier Dome not MSG no matter how you spin it.

The NYC market will get as much out of televised games as having 20000 people be able to see the game live.

I'll get the pitchforks and torches. She is gonna catch all kind of hell for this. It's gonna get ugly, fast.

Hey, if they don't want to sell ANY freaking tickets to the fans, I guess that's their business. But I've had just about enough of this, moving all our games against exciting opponents away from the Dome. This is pure stupidity. Branding only takes you so far. And, BTW, does the Garden hold 33,000 for a basketball game?

She said she wants to put 60K in the Dome for Duke and UNC. Everything else is jumping to conclusions.

I would not be surprised to see us play those schools at MSG though if our Big East purgatory continues.

And, fwiw, MSG might've been part of the bid. Dunno on that.

Hey, if they don't want to sell ANY freaking tickets to the fans, I guess that's their business. But I've had just about enough of this, moving all our games against exciting opponents away from the Dome. This is pure stupidity. Branding only takes you so far. And, BTW, does the Garden hold 33,000 for a basketball game?

Who have we moved? Seriously, I hate that term - moved. We're talking about games down the line (in football) that were never gonna be played in the Carrier Dome. And they weren't coming because the gate sucks and I am sure some football coaches feel that it's a gimmicky venue for their takeaway.

It's a flat-out terrible thing to even consider playing Duke and UNC in NYC.

I'm OK with the football games, for a host of reasons. But there is no need to play conference hoops games away from the Dome.

Go ahead and schedule an annual game with St. John's at MSG and never ask them to play in Syracuse. I'm OK with that. But Duke/UNC at MSG, even once, is a lousy slap in the face to the local fan base (the hoops one that actually supports the program better than all but one in the country).

What is flat out terrible is remaining in the Big East, if playing one game in MSG every year is what pushed over the top, then so be it. I would much rather play in a bastardized Big East conference, earning 30% of the conference revenue... Cantor spoke about packing the dome versus UNC and Duke, so surely there seems to be some compromise working. Whatever needed to be done was done.

If Syracuse is New York's college team then playing a game a year in MSG for hoops and maybe a game a year in the Meadowlands is fine with me, all I know is what we had for 8 years wasn't working as a whole and if we needed to leverage our strengths to land in the ACC then so be it. It's done now. IT HAD TO BE DONE

I am actually enjoying this forward thinking by Cantor and Gross much ike the west coast football trips, keep it up, great job.

against Duke and North Carolina to play them in the Garden.

What the $#@#& !!!

The University obviously does not give one **** about the fans who have built this goddamn program.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/home_away_from_the_dome_syracu.html

I think that we had to throw some chips on the table to the ACC. I personally think that 30K in the Dome would be attractive but the ACC might covet a presence in the NYC area.

We have already clearly been willing to trade something on the hoops side in exchange for everything else. If this is a chip that had to be played in order to avoid sweating out being left behind in the BE then I guess it had to be done.

As much as I hate to say it the dome isn't exactly a huge homecourt advantage. Its a absolutely beautifull court filled with tradition. BUT the student section is only stuck on one side, it doesn't get to rowdy when you get away from it, and the fans are a ways off the court.

Having something like the garden turns it into a glorified NBA atmosphere like no other place can. That is good for our basketball program good for ACC basketball, great for media and good for hype and recruiting.

One of the plusses of the dome when its not packing 25,000 plus is to beat up on the not so good teams and watch our guys just play run and gun athletic basketball. Sometimes those are the home games enjoyed the most.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a ACC garden double header. Especially if Uconn pushed their way into the ACC. I am all for playing better midmajors (like gtown) early in the year to make up for a game or two at the garden.

If this was a "chip" that had to be played to get us into the ACC, then I would credit Gross and Cantor will an incredible lack of outside the box thinking on the subject. There are many other ways to bring SU and the ACC to the NYC market and to MSG than for SU to move its home games against top quality conference opponents to MSG.

For god sakes people it doesn't take much thought to come up with 25 better ways to do this. How about a Pre-Season ACC tournament in MSG? How about a series of ACC vs. Classic non-conference Rivals matchups in MSG - SU vs. Georgetown; UNC vs. Kansas; Duke vs. the Citadel? How about the ACC vs. Big Ten (name your conference) Series in MSG? How about agreeing to play an additional "ACC" game each year against the marquee opponent that doesn't count for purposes of conference standings in MSG?

If the premise for why this might occur is correct, than the ACC wanted this to happen as much as SU does, so why not expect them to be flexible and creative in coming up with ways to make it happen as well. Moving SU home conference games out of the Dome is about the least creative way I can think of to accomplish the goal, unless of course its the Tobacco Road Mafia's way of trying to keep us at a competitive disadvantage in which case it's genius.

Awful, hopefully they wake up.

Move the acc/big challenge to msg, have a preseason tourney with nyc teams in msg, schedule an ooc game there. But not screw up homecourt advantage.

We are a top 5 program and do not need to move home games to get exposure, those games will be prime time if they were held in manley.

Awful, hopefully they wake up.

Move the acc/big challenge to msg, have a preseason tourney with nyc teams in msg, schedule an ooc game there. But not screw up homecourt advantage.

We are a top 5 program and do not need to move home games to get exposure, those games will be prime time if they were held in manley.

I read here all the time that SU has a tremendous advantage when they play in MSG, not true?

I read here all the time that SU has a tremendous advantage when they play in MSG, not true?

There is no question that SU has a great NYC following and an advantage over another neutral court team when they meet in MSG, but if you think SU has a bigger advantage playing UNC in MSG than it would playing UNC in the Dome you are smoking crack.

So basically we have to go into Cameron and the Dean Dome and get our heads chewed off and UNC and Duke get NYC recruiting exposure in a semi-hostile atmosphere.

Seems equitable:confused:.

If this was a "chip" that had to be played to get us into the ACC, then I would credit Gross and Cantor will an incredible lack of outside the box thinking on the subject. There are many other ways to bring SU and the ACC to the NYC market and to MSG than for SU to move its home games against top quality conference opponents to MSG.

For god sakes people it doesn't take much thought to come up with 25 better ways to do this. How about a Pre-Season ACC tournament in MSG? How about a series of ACC vs. Classic non-conference Rivals matchups in MSG - SU vs. Georgetown; UNC vs. Kansas; Duke vs. the Citadel? How about the ACC vs. Big Ten (name your conference) Series in MSG? How about agreeing to play an additional "ACC" game each year against the marquee opponent that doesn't count for purposes of conference standings in MSG?

If the premise for why this might occur is correct, than the ACC wanted this to happen as much as SU does, so why not expect them to be flexible and creative in coming up with ways to make it happen as well. Moving SU home conference games out of the Dome is about the least creative way I can think of to accomplish the goal, unless of course its the Tobacco Road Mafia's way of trying to keep us at a competitive disadvantage in which case it's genius.

agree completely. there are other ways to bring the acc to nyc. i love all the smarky comments that if people don't like it, just give up your seasons. that's exactly the attitude that reduces attendance in the dome.

There is no question that SU has a great NYC following and an advantage over another neutral court team when they meet in MSG, but if you think SU has a bigger advantage playing UNC in MSG than it would playing UNC in the Dome you are smoking crack.

Is it worth $8-9 mil a year? That buys me a lot of crack, good crack as well. If people are cancelling their seasons for hoops let me know, I am looking to upgrade

against Duke and North Carolina to play them in the Garden.

What the $#@#& !!!

The University obviously does not give one **** about the fans who have built this goddamn program.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/home_away_from_the_dome_syracu.html
Has Cantor fallen victim to the sportscasters brainwashing that MSG/NYC is a "home game" for SU?
Somebody who knows calculate the differnce in income for 30,000 in the dome to 18,000 (?) in MSG. Are ticket prices for MSG 60% higher to make up the difference?