Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games

Is it worth $8-9 mil a year? That buys me a lot of crack, good crack as well. If people are cancelling their seasons for hoops let me know, I am looking to upgrade

Thought you said this wouldn't happen and people were reading too much into things? You're a mess. ;)

I have been a good soldier and reluctantly supported the move of some OOC football games against top name opponents to the NY Metro area. Let's face it, we don't fill the Dome for football - didn't sell out Penn State even with a huge influx of Nits, and at best we can pack in a shade under 50k for football. Given the current state of the program it's a reasonable move with the exposure and financial benefits likely outweighing the local indignity.

But our hoops program is NOT our football program. There is NO reason for us to give up a major home date other than kowtowing to the delusions of people that don't understand what Syracuse is. If we want to commit to play in a preseason event in NY every year, great. If we want to schedule an old rivalry game with SJU and hold in in MSG every year, I'll buy that. If we want to join another ACC power and maybe schedule a non-conference, in season doubleheader in the garden (think North Carolia - Michigan State; Syracuse - Kansas) every year, sign me up. But to even CONSIDER taking a conference matchup, moving it 5 hours from campus and playing in an arena that offers 1/3 fewer seats is a slap in the face to the fans that helped sustain the program over the last 30+ years.

She said she wants to put 60K in the Dome for Duke and UNC. Everything else is jumping to conclusions.

Yeah, people are getting carried away.

It'd be surprising and disappointing to see a conference "home" game get scheduled in New York instead of the Dome. I'll believe it when I see it. And I'll probably complain about it. Until then, nothing to get worked up about.

If this was a "chip" that had to be played to get us into the ACC, then I would credit Gross and Cantor will an incredible lack of outside the box thinking on the subject. There are many other ways to bring SU and the ACC to the NYC market and to MSG than for SU to move its home games against top quality conference opponents to MSG.

For god sakes people it doesn't take much thought to come up with 25 better ways to do this. How about a Pre-Season ACC tournament in MSG? How about a series of ACC vs. Classic non-conference Rivals matchups in MSG - SU vs. Georgetown; UNC vs. Kansas; Duke vs. the Citadel? How about the ACC vs. Big Ten (name your conference) Series in MSG? How about agreeing to play an additional "ACC" game each year against the marquee opponent that doesn't count for purposes of conference standings in MSG?

If the premise for why this might occur is correct, than the ACC wanted this to happen as much as SU does, so why not expect them to be flexible and creative in coming up with ways to make it happen as well. Moving SU home conference games out of the Dome is about the least creative way I can think of to accomplish the goal, unless of course its the Tobacco Road Mafia's way of trying to keep us at a competitive disadvantage in which case it's genius.

The easy answer to this is that SU can only propose things that SU has direct control over. We can propose SU games in NYC but we don't have the authority to unilaterally propose most of your other ideas.

Also, my guess is that it has a bit to do with the whining from NYC fans (and possibly NYC $$$ donors) who are upset at losing SU presence in the Big Apple.

People need to take a step back from the ledge. Nothing's been moved yet. I would bet Chancy Nancy doesn't know as much as she thinks she does about this. I took the comment when I first read it as it would be awesome to play those teams down there, not that it was definite. I think she was taken out of context a little and maybe it came out wrong. Until the games are announced being there, people need to relax...

Are people really going to give up season tickets because of this statement?

And we already have our first unforeseen downside to joining this league, despite being at least a year away from actually playing in it.

Living in the tri-state area I catch just about every SU game at MSG, so I appreciate every chance I get to see them. But I more than understand the plight of the local SU fan who will miss out on opportunities to see one of the few good programs in this miserable conference; Duke, UNC and now Pitt are the only really attractive opponents it has to offer these days. And to echo the sentiments of some other posters, the home court advantage at MSG vs. Duke and UNC will not be nearly as strong, as you know, actually playing at home. I guess Nancy and TGD have now bought the media hype that MSG is a home game.

Yeah, people are getting carried away.

It'd be surprising and disappointing to see a conference "home" game get scheduled in New York instead of the Dome. I'll believe it when I see it. And I'll probably complain about it. Until then, nothing to get worked up about.

Except she did say she would do that.

“We haven’t gotten that far, but we absolutely have plans to do that – absolutely,” Cantor said of moving some SU home games to a New York City arena, such as Madison Square Garden."

against Duke and North Carolina to play them in the Garden.

What the $#@#& !!!

The University obviously does not give one **** about the fans who have built this goddamn program.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/home_away_from_the_dome_syracu.html

wow..From a bball perspective , I feel like we were just bluffed out of huge pot by a pair of nothing. Big East basketball ruled and SU was one of the king pins. Now we are going to be treated like the ugly stepchild to an mean old aunt who had one foot in the grave. Instead of letting her fall in we pulled her out took her place. I still think this was a dumb move even for football. We wont know for at least 4 years. We can buddy up with BC at the bottom the heap.

People need to take a step back from the ledge. Nothing's been moved yet. I would bet Chancy Nancy doesn't know as much as she thinks she does about this. I took the comment when I first read it as it would be awesome to play those teams down there, not that it was definite. I think she was taken out of context a little and maybe it came out wrong. Until the games are announced being there, people need to relax...

Are people really going to give up season tickets because of this statement?

Lets hope she has no idea what she is talking about (doubtful) because she said she absolutely has plans to do it.

Lets hope she has no idea what she is talking about (doubtful) because she said she absolutely has plans to do it.
I don't think Gross or Boeheim would allow that to happen. I'm sure the first game against each will be at the Dome. I'm ok with one of them being moved once, I doubt this would be an annual thing.

Hey, if they don't want to sell ANY freaking tickets to the fans, I guess that's their business. But I've had just about enough of this, moving all our games against exciting opponents away from the Dome. This is pure stupidity. Branding only takes you so far. And, BTW, does the Garden hold 33,000 for a basketball game?
“I’m really looking forward to the day we get 60,000 Central New Yorkers in the Carrier Dome for Duke or North Carolina,” Cantor said. SU remains committed to keeping those games at the Dome on a regular basis, she said.

Settle down papa bear. You are attacking a straw man.

Yet another gaffe by TGD and Cantor.

Duke at the Garden = Road Game.

I also don't recall ever seeing Duke or UNC playing conference games in Charlotte.

I don't think Gross or Boeheim would allow that to happen. I'm sure the first game against each will be at the Dome. I'm ok with one of them being moved once, I doubt this would be an annual thing.

That's the key name right there.

I wonder how Cantor's conversation with JB would go.
"So Jim, we're moving our home games against our most significant conference competitors to a neutral venue 4 hours away. Oh, you'll still have to play them on their campuses though. They are competing for ACC championships, after all. New York's College Team!!!!"

He would quit. I genuinely think he would quit if Cantor and Gross go through with this.

Some people act like he's gonna be around 10 years into ACC play and involved in a lot of this talk. Meanwhile his retirement is a lot closer than many seem to realize, I mean he's coming up on 70 years of age.

Is it worth $8-9 mil a year? That buys me a lot of crack, good crack as well. If people are cancelling their seasons for hoops let me know, I am looking to upgrade

You can have plenty around us in section 105 unfortunately. If some home games were moved to Madison Square Garden etc - that would be the last straw for many. The base in basketball is much larger and more loyal but doing something like putting home games in MSG - not good at all. Why call it Syracuse University - just beg NYU for their moniker and move the university there. Duke doesn't play UNC in Charlotte, DC nor Atlanta etc - bet they have more graduates there too. Hoping even the thought is squashed quickly.

People are reacting like every single game against Duke and UNC for the next 40 years are being moved to the Garden. God forbid we move one game. Maybe it's a MD game, maybe someone else. No one knows until it's officially announced so just relax people.

People are reacting like every single game against Duke and UNC for the next 40 years are being moved to the Garden. God forbid we move one game. Maybe it's a MD game, maybe someone else. No one knows until it's officially announced so just relax people.
Moving any conference game to a neutral venue is complete garbage. I don't care if we move the Wake Forest game to MSG once every decade, it's still awful. Nobody in the ACC does it now, so we will be the only conference school doing this. Its so small time for any major program, especially a program of our stature.

Moving any conference game to a neutral venue is complete garbage. I don't care if we move the Wake Forest game to MSG once every decade, it's still awful. Nobody in the ACC does it now, so we will be the only conference school doing this. Its so small time for any major program, especially a program of our stature.

Another problem is going to be that unless they have an uneven schedule, we would normally only see a Duke every 2-3 years in the Dome. If that game or games gets moved to MSG, we may only get a Duke in the Dome every 6 years. Move 2 consecutive Duke games to MSG and we may see them once a decade in the Dome.

The easy answer to this is that SU can only propose things that SU has direct control over. We can propose SU games in NYC but we don't have the authority to unilaterally propose most of your other ideas.

Also, my guess is that it has a bit to do with the whining from NYC fans (and possibly NYC $$$ donors) who are upset at losing SU presence in the Big Apple.

Imagine that? Money making the decisions. Good post. It's survival

Thought you said this wouldn't happen and people were reading too much into things? You're a mess. ;)

She did say that she still plans on playing Duke/ UNC in the dome as well. For all we know we wind up playing Maryland in the Garden

Maybe SU's ability to host sellouts in NYC is valued and a reason for offering us rather than others. DG has done a good job creating,promoting, and now capitalizing on that. Having some home games in MSG may be a price we have to pay for getting a seat at the table. That said, I don't think it could possibly be an all the time thing. You know the administration wants the big $$ from record crowd type games at the Dome.

Before we all go off the deepend, we all need to calm down and wonder what the 800 lb gorilla would say. Would ESPN give the ACC more money to move a marque gameday game with Dicki V, where the number 1 and 3 winning coaches in history could play before the largest on campus crowd in history to madison square garden? No matter what the commissioner and Nancy might have said ESPN will always have their say.