SU's most iconic play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's most iconic play?

That was a wheel route, not a bomb, but great play!
I’ll never forget I didn’t see it live we were actually on sportcenter! They switched the game to kanas state when they were #1 in the nation.

Gotta go with Owens for 2. There is a big difference between an 11-0 season and a 10-1 season.

Owens for 2 was a national moment in time when the whole country cut in to that moment.

McPherson-Moore was the most satisfying, get-the-monkey-of-our-back moment that officially put Syracuse on the map as a good football team nationally.

I can’t argue against any of those plays; but for me I’ll take any play that Eric Dungey made me shake my head. Fourth down reach to beat Clemson. Hurdling the safety against , I think Virginia. After throwing an interception against Miami, ripping the ball out and getting it back. Personal foul against Boston College. Yelling at Miami’s bench.

That play versus clemson where he acted like he was running then tossed it to Ishmail for the TD was huge.

I still think Johnny Morant’s over the shoulder, one hander against WVU in the Dome is one of the best catches I have seen.

How about Garrett Williams’ int against FSU? where he tipped the ball to himself.

I’ll never forget I didn’t see it live we were actually on sportcenter! They switched the game to kanas state when they were #1 in the nation.

Thats nuts. I was at a bar in manhattan called the ainsworth. Dont think they switched over. That was such a great game to watch. I was so happy when we won.

The Dar Dar reverse against Florida has to be on my Mount Rushmore.
I lived in Georgia at the time so I heard how great the SEC was all the time. Wow that was amazing to be able to shut them up that day.

One of the two loudest games I ever saw in the Dome for football.

The crazy bounces that went against us all game long to keep VT in it...

And agreed -- that play had MASSIVE implications -- both in terms of us going to a big time bowl, but also in terms of how McNabb's legacy was cemented.

If we lose that game at home, who knows how things go from there on out. Maybe the 66-13 dismantling of Miami plays out differently.

What I remember is that I couldn't see if Brominski came down with it. But based upon the crowd reaction, you just knew.

Amazing.
I think I waited a good 10 seconds to start celebrating that TD because I kept expecting something to go wrong: a flag, he dropped it, he was out of bounds(I was lower corner but on the sideline near the opposite end zone, in the VT section so you couldn’t tell he was nowhere near out of bounds)….something heartbreaking always went wrong in close games it seemed, and that game had really conditioned me to expect the worst. Even when we finally took the lead, we gave it right back by VT picking off our 2 point conversion attempt and returning it. When does that ever happen? Smh.

Amazing and badly needed heroic play to win the game.

I think I waited a good 10 seconds to start celebrating that TD because I kept expecting something to go wrong: a flag, he dropped it, he was out of bounds(I was lower corner but on the sideline near the opposite end zone, in the VT section so you couldn’t tell he was nowhere near out of bounds)….something heartbreaking always went wrong in close games it seemed, and that game had really conditioned me to expect the worst. Even when we finally took the lead, we gave it right back by VT picking off our 2 point conversion attempt and returning it. When does that ever happen? Smh.

Amazing and badly needed heroic play to win the game.
That shouldn't have been 2 points for VT. He clearly and purposefully fumbled it forward into the end zone.

That shouldn't have been 2 points for VT. He clearly and purposefully fumbled it forward into the end zone.
Yup. Cartoonishly ridiculous “fumble”. Looked like something you’d see in a movie like “Little Giants” or something. Can’t believe the refs let that go. Part of why I couldn’t believe we actually won….because crap like that fake fumble kept happening all game.

i
In our recent history it has to be this...

Yeah, the Florida schools were dominating the headlines back then.

And the Dome's eruption was intense. Odd to think 49,000 people were in their seats at kickoff.
not me, yeah I was in the concourse and the eruption was crazy causing me to sprint to get to my seat.. Having just moved back to the Cuse after 10 years away I was awestruck that this was now Syracuse football having left when we still struggled and downright sucked in the 70's. I was like cool, SYRACUSE FOOTBALL!

not me, yeah I was in the concourse and the eruption was crazy causing me to sprint to get to my seat.. Having just moved back to the Cuse after 10 years away I was awestruck that this was now Syracuse football having left when we still struggled and downright sucked in the 70's. I was like cool, SYRACUSE FOOTBALL!

You have a tailgate problem. There's probably a 12 step program.

Although these days, why rush.

i
In our recent history it has to be this...
The play where he threw the BC guy out of bounds and then knocked someone over the bench or something is up there too.

Agree 1000%. After the turnover on the 2 point conversion attempt, the VT player was off to the races -- seemingly with a clear path to the end zone for the safety. To McNabb's credit, he hustled and chased the guy down, pulling him down backwards somewhere inside the 10. Blatant forward fumble, but it happened before the era of replays.

We were the victim of a bunch of middle aged refs trailing the play by 40 yards and not seeing the play, only the net result of a second VT player falling on the ball in our end zone. Complete BS.

Glad it didn't cost us the game.

Kevin Johnson's kickoff return in the 1997 Kickoff Classic rout against Wisconsin (34-0) gets lost in the mix. I always think of it as being the play that opened up two memorable seasons - junior and senior seasons for McNabb, Johnson, Konrad, et al. Yes, we lost the next three frustrating games after that, but then we ripped off 8 wins on the way to the Fiesta Bowl.