SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition

Anyone else stand & clap before the first FG each period even when watching in your living room?

I stand in clap for most games whilst at home.
for big games, most of the time

when attending an away game, always (got very rude vibes when my boy and I were doing it in the family section of the RAC a few years back)

They have no reason to be mad at SU. If it wasn't for Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes transferring from Cuse to Rutgers they wouldn't have made their last NCAA tourney appearance...26 years ago.

Love the tradition, hate that pretty much no one participates anymore. I don't either, so I can't complain.
Not sure what games you're attending. I've never once seen any less than 95% participation & that includes those sitting courtside, who I don't believe are allowed to stand.

Not sure what games you're attending. I've never once seen any less than 95% participation & that includes those sitting courtside, who I don't believe are allowed to stand.

Most people stand, and most people don't clap. There's virtually no audible clapping in the building.

Is this the part where people who attend maybe 1-2 games a year want to dictate to the students and season ticket holders what the traditions should be?

It must be Spring.

:rolleyes:
They don't like it because it's 2 minutes of game time that they can't stare down at their phones, assuming they even show in time to see the 1st FG :rolleyes:. I'm honestly baffled as to why anyone would dislike this tradition so much. Pretty soon, we may just be able to do it before our 1st points of each half in football....maybe starting between games 4-6 this year ;)

If we could come up with something else, I'd get rid of it. But as I feel it's one of the only ones we have, I'm inclined to keep it.

Exactly how I feel. Not crazy about it being stolen, though.

Honest question, but why do people hate the wave? It doesn't excite me or anything--just curious why all the hate. Is it just because it's old-fashioned?

I think Taurean may have set the Freshman record for "sit down" baskets this year, though Tyus also had quite a few. Onuaku has to hold both the single season & career records, though I wasn't around to see DC.

Most people stand, and most people don't clap. There's virtually no audible clapping in the building.
You may be correct on the clapping. There's also always a decent amount who sit when we hit a FT.

Last edited:
Is this the part where people who attend maybe 1-2 games a year want to dictate to the students and season ticket holders what the traditions should be?

It must be Spring.

:rolleyes:

Hey I went to my first football game last year. That should definitely qualify me to be Dome commissioner!

Not to play "super fan", but I remain standing even through commercial breaks if it takes that long. I remember the game at Pitt when they jumped out 17-0 & there was at least 2 commercial breaks. I guess I just embrace tradition...I thought it helped bring people together lol

They don't like it because it's 2 minutes of game time that they can't stare down at their phones, assuming they even show in time to see the 1st FG :rolleyes:. I'm honestly baffled as to why anyone would dislike this tradition so much. Pretty soon, we may just be able to do it before our 1st points of each half in football...maybe starting between games 4-6 this year ;)

I stand and clap for the opening kickoff.

Of course, where my tickets are, I could stand for the whole game and nobody would complain.

I think the dome itself kills traditions. It's so sterile and concrete-y.

Need dimmable lights, fireworks, retire Welcome to the Jungle, and get bigger banners that hang over the court, not up in a corner next to an HVAC fan and some speakers

Be loud, be proud, be orange.

Need dimmable lights, fireworks, retire Welcome to the Jungle, and get bigger banners that hang over the court, not up in a corner next to an HVAC fan and some speakers

How much longer is Welcome to the Jungle going to be used?! That whole schtick and the player intros needs to be revamped big time. This isn't a bunch of 30-40 year olds playing in a rec league. Geez.

How much longer is Welcome to the Jungle going to be used?! That whole schtick and the player intros needs to be revamped big time. This isn't a bunch of 30-40 year olds playing in a rec league. Geez.

Get rid of it and go back to just letting the band bang on their drums to help the crowd out.

Exactly how I feel. Not crazy about it being stolen, though.

Honest question, but why do people hate the wave? It doesn't excite me or anything--just curious why all the hate. Is it just because it's old-fashioned?
Nothing against the wave myself. I feel as if it is seen as cliche, and that's why people hate it. but i may be way off.

It doesn't bother me. Nice to see people standing once in a while. I do think it puts some pressure on the players. The Dome is great, but I've always thought it has its downfalls. When 30K moan after a miss then that has to feel pretty bad. Also, 30K holding their breath as a shot is about to go up. I think it has hurt some players, honestly. Besides this year, we play more free on the road. The Dome can be a weight on some player's shoulders. Just my opinion, as I'm not in their head.

Love the tradition, really sets the tone especially when we strike first.

It doesn't bother me. Nice to see people standing once in a while. I do think it puts some pressure on the players. The Dome is great, but I've always thought it has its downfalls. When 30K moan after a miss then that has to feel pretty bad. Also, 30K holding their breath as a shot is about to go up. I think it has hurt some players, honestly. Besides this year, we play more free on the road. The Dome can be a weight on some player's shoulders. Just my opinion, as I'm not in their head.

Can't say I've heard this excuse before. A for creativity! How many times are we getting 30K? How do you explain then all the times when it is dead and no energy?

Can't say I've heard this excuse before. A for creativity! How many times are we getting 30K? How do you explain then all the times when it is dead and no energy?

Who knows. Just a thought I've had. It also helps when you hit those shots, and the fans get going. I do think it can take you out of your game after a few misses. We have more no energy games from the fans yearly than the big ones. Sometimes we blow teams out like Nova, for the 1st, or they blow us out like Nova did for the 2nd.

It depends on the player. Some thrive, some seem shaken. It's like any game, I suppose. Start well then you gain confidence. Miss, and you lose it. Seems to happen quicker either way in the Dome, with the biggest crowds they ever see. Just my pseudopsychology. Nothing to back it up.

speaking of traditions, is Dome Ranger still with us? I'd love for someone to take over for him. I have friends who didn't go to SU ask about occasionally.

one tradition i'd like to see removed from the Hill is Shirtworld and Dave Jacobs ripping people off. That's an SU tradition for 30 plus years! I wish gentrification would remove him.

I'm not too keen on it, but also agree there should be something that involves the fans.

I will add though that I like standing and clapping alot more than the dated music played. As I've suggested before it would be really cool to have each years team vote for what song they want to be played while they warm up and tip off.

It also needs courtside seats to be, you know, on the court?

Need dimmable lights, fireworks, retire Welcome to the Jungle, and get bigger banners that hang over the court, not up in a corner next to an HVAC fan and some speakers.
Is there a grandfather rule that once the curtain is down it can never be restored? That would make a huge difference in warming up the place. And it offered plenty of opportunity for advertising, but hey, we don't make the decisions...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom