SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition | Syracusefan.com

SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition

for big games, most of the time

when attending an away game, always (got very rude vibes when my boy and I were doing it in the family section of the RAC a few years back)
To be fair, we've been known to be a tad rude ourselves in that building.

IMG_0822.GIF

However, didn't you outnumber the Rutgirls fans 2 to 1 in your section?

my old neighbor used to work with a woman who's kid was on the team. dont remember his name, but think he was a decent player who ended up transferring. could look it up if I cared, but I don;t

anyway, the section was actually filled, but the stadium was far from it. of course, we were in the 3rd row, under a basket. section was filled with family and their top donors (all 6 of them). we kept our colors under wraps until tip off then peeled the outerlayers and stood and clapped...and clapped...and clapped b/c as too often happens it took us a while to get the first basket. there were a smattering of other clappers around but none close by. the daggers we got stared were priceless.

Anyone else hate this tradition? Only time the olds want to stand.

Nope. Crowd's been doing it my entire life, see nothing wrong with it, and can't imagine wasting energy to "hate" something so relatively insignificant.

If you [not "you" specifically] doesn't want to stand and clap, don't stand and clap.

Frankly, I wish we had MORE traditions. Disappointed that our politically correct last chancellor put the kibosh on the "you suck" chant. It also doesn't help that they've tried to turn the game atmosphere into a destitute man's NBA game, with dopey contests and music piped over the PA system, and deemphasized it being a college game atmosphere. Oh well.

Don't mind the tradition, but it's all we do. We don't have any cheers besides let's go orange. I wish we could come up with new chants/cheers.

Agree 100% Was typing something similar when you replied.

We have so few traditions that I'm okay with it. If we go very long without scoring, it does tend to put me on edge a little bit, but that's probably more the not scoring that's bothering me than the standing.

Anyone else hate this tradition? Only time the olds want to stand.

I do. I think its idiotic. Unfortunately because most people do like it I wind up standing just to see. Then, inevitably, it'll take 2-3 minutes to sink that FG and it just gets embarrassing.

Nope. Crowd's been doing it my entire life, see nothing wrong with it, and can't imagine wasting energy to "hate" something so relatively insignificant.

If you [not "you" specifically] doesn't want to stand and clap, don't stand and clap.

Frankly, I wish we had MORE traditions. Disappointed that our politically correct last chancellor put the kibosh on the "you suck" chant. It also doesn't help that they've tried to turn the game atmosphere into a destitute man's NBA game, with dopey contests and music piped over the PA system, and deemphasized it being a college game atmosphere. Oh well.

The band playing the "amen" song at the end of wins, the hey song, the tomahawk chop thing on kickoffs, etc...they've basically phased out every other tradition. SU does nothing to make the game atmosphere good. The fans overcome it for the big games, but SU doesn't help at all.

Anyone else stand & clap before the first FG each period even when watching in your living room?
No, because I hate that tradition. I remember being in the student section one year watching Seton Hall jump out to a 20+ point lead while everyone stood and clapped. Rush the court all you want, but the clapping has to stop.

Love the tradition, hate that pretty much no one participates anymore. I don't either, so I can't complain.

The band playing the "amen" song at the end of wins, the hey song, the tomahawk chop thing on kickoffs, etc...they've basically phased out every other tradition. SU does nothing to make the game atmosphere good. The fans overcome it for the big games, but SU doesn't help at all.

But they do like to blare music while doing Senior Day introductions, which is nice...

Is this the part where people who attend maybe 1-2 games a year want to dictate to the students and season ticket holders what the traditions should be?

It must be Spring.

:rolleyes:
If the person gives a lot of money like cto says it yes.I care what people like her think who only go to one or two games at the dome a year over season-ticket holder's who go to every game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom