SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU's "Stand & Clap" Tradition

I stand and clap for the opening kickoff.

Of course, where my tickets are, I could stand for the whole game and nobody would complain.

At Arizona, they stand and clap till the OTHER team scores. I've seen it and it is intimidating, especially once they start missing. Really gets them fired up to start the game.

It's more corny than cool. Out of all the unique things other schools do, including the presentation of the teams, we do a clap before a basket (which 80% of the crowd lets out a collective sigh) and have the weakest intros I've ever seen in any sport. UNLV has freaking fireworks during their player intros with 50 people in the stands and we have this garbage? Need to get it together.

It's more corny than cool. Out of all the unique things other schools do, including the presentation of the teams, we do a clap before a basket (which 80% of the crowd lets out a collective sigh) and have the weakest intros I've ever seen in any sport. UNLV has freaking fireworks during their player intros with 50 people in the stands and we have this garbage? Need to get it together.

Not sure if it's still the case, but I know the lights in the Dome used to take awhile to warm up which is why they couldn't shut them off for intros.

This. I've also noticed after a prolonged clap it's like the crowd used up all their spirit and needs to recharge.

I remember one game I went to like this I believe during the '10 run with 30k+ was eerily silent after. Like, I could hear the echo of the one fan periodically yelling positive phrases a few rows away. It was weird.

Not sure if it's still the case, but I know the lights in the Dome used to take awhile to warm up which is why they couldn't shut them off for intros.

I wonder how many Philips hue bulbs you can buy with the scrap weight of those lights.

Clapping and let's go Orange. Lame. Grand Canyon University hasn't been around that long and are miles ahead of us. Their student section is awesome.

A little almost on topic rambling. I just like the dome loud. I don't need predetermined chants to get into the games though it might be nice for the whole experience. When the dome is quiet it's very quiet and when it's loud it is unbelievably loud and exciting.

Is part of it a shift in fan culture? Presentation/expectations/increased security?

My uncle used to bring me too a lot of games when I was a kid. Football and basketball. We cheered the entire game and so did the entire section. Sometimes the crowd looked like it just came from work, more orange-speckled than orange.

Now when I go to the games people are decked out in orange gear and the dome looks pretty fantastic. But I often feel like the only one really into it in the section.
I get the stink eye just for standing up and cheering or clapping for a good play. My sister, all 5'4" of her was approached by a security guard bc a fan a couple rows behind us complained that we were standing with under two minutes left in a tie game.

I like the stand n clap bc at least we are all unified and it's somewhat unique. At least we have something to do together and I can stand up without getting in trouble. Lol.

Not every game will get a "what a wild singing at the Carrier Dome!" But I for one will compntinue to do my part.

My friends and I got jeered by a group of CUSE FANS sitting behind us for standing and clapping at the beginning of the UCONN game at MSG this year. I couldn't believe it. We just ignored them.

Boom Boom "HEY!!!!!" and "ORANGE!!!!!" would sound pretty cool in the Dome:

IMO the stand and clap is dumb. I hate when our fans do it on the road because it is just rude. If you are in an SU section fine, but most people never are. Also at least morph the stand and clap into the soccer clap so it looks cool and is somewhat intimidating. Clapping in general does very little as we have seen time and again. In addition, I think it would be good to do 2 mins before tip off and stop on the tip. Going on until our first bucket is counter productive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom