Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro... | Syracusefan.com

Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro...

CuseLegacy

Greensboro ‘solid’ as men’s site
• The league hasn’t determined sites for the men beyond 2014-15.
BY DAVID MORRISON

Staff Writer
GREENSBORO — The ACC men’s basketball tournament has bounced around over the past eight years, with host sites including Washington, Tampa and Atlanta, site of this year’s tournament at Philips Arena.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford doesn’t expect that sort of experimentation to change as the conference expands northward with the impending additions of Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

But he also doesn’t expect the tournament to stray from Greensboro Coliseum, the place that has hosted it 23 times in its 58 seasons. Greensboro, site of the last two, will also host the event in the 2013-15 seasons.

“I don’t see that changing in the future,” Swofford said after speaking at a luncheon Monday at the Greensboro Coliseum, kicking off a three-week run in which it will house the ACC women’s tournament and the second and third rounds of the NCAA men’s tournament.

“There’s a belief from our schools that the ACC tournament was born in this state, and this is its real home.”

Swofford said Greensboro’s future with the ACC men’s and women’s tournaments is “very, very solid,” even as the conference’s agreement with the Greensboro Coliseum Complex is set to expire after the next three seasons.

Matt Brown, the Coliseum’s managing director, said it’s mostly up to the ACC to start taking the next round of bids for future tournaments.

Brown’s team is expecting that to be sooner rather than later, maybe even after this year’s tournament ends.

To keep up with structures like Orlando’s Amway Arena and New York’s Madison Square Garden, the Greensboro Coliseum is scheduled for $24 million in improvements.

“It’s important for us to keep the focus that the patrons coming to the ACC tournament are paying a pretty attractive ticket price, and they want to have all the amenities that they would view to be in a modern, state-of-the-art facility,” Brown said.

And, when it comes to the conference’s new northern additions, there’s always the climate factor.

“We feel their fan bases would embrace the opportunity to come south in March,” Brown said. “They’re coming down to play golf and watch the tournament instead of sloshing through the snow up at Madison Square Garden.”

Meanwhile, Swofford said he doesn’t expect Pittsburgh and Syracuse to enter the league for the 2012-13 season.

Swofford said the ACC’s future schools are not quite as eager to circumvent the 27-month notice outlined in the Big East’s exit clause like West Virginia, which came to a recent settlement with the conference to join the Big 12 this summer.

“We’re ready to take the two schools whenever they can come,” Swofford said. “But we have felt — and Pitt and Syracuse have felt — that they need to go about this in a way that serves who they’re leaving as well as coming here.”

When the two teams do join, it sets up another challenge in planning a 14-team tournament as opposed to the 12-team model it has employed the past seven years.

Swofford said the league has reached no conclusions about changes to the tournament format, other than there’s a strong feeling that all 14 teams should be included.

The conference will try to learn from the example of the Big East, which has spread its 16-team tournament over five days since 2009, and also see what works for the SEC as it expands to 14 teams next season.

“You want to learn as much from others, understanding that the ACC tournament — in terms of collegiate tournaments — is sort of the granddaddy of them all,” Swofford said. “It’s something that’s very special to this league and its history.”

GetContent.asp

Swofford

I just got real sad thinking of not playing the BET in MSG. :(

The Grandaddy of them all? Pshhh.

“We feel their fan bases would embrace the opportunity to come south in March,” Brown said. “They’re coming down to play golf and watch the tournament instead of sloshing through the snow up at Madison Square Garden.”

Well we feel your fan base would embrace the opportunity to come north in March, when even pansies should be able to handle a little of that "slosh and snow." While they're here, they can experience a real city and a real stadium.

And we aint coming to play golf. We're coming to kick your *** and win your tourney.

I still think that it will eventually rotate to MSG. How often? That's the question. I can't tell whether Swofford is being arrogant in that article or if he is just saying the right things for the longtime ACC teams...for now.

I still think that it will eventually rotate to MSG. How often? That's the question. I can't tell whether Swofford is being arrogant in that article or if he is just saying the right things for the longtime ACC teams...for now.

Both

Swofford is originally from N. Wilkesboro,NC, played QB for Carolina and currently lives in Greensboro. Not too difficult to guess where his allegiances lie.

I just got real sad thinking of not playing the BET in MSG. :(

Me too. I'm all in for this move, but last night my boss suggested I take next Thursday off to go to the game, and I'm incredibly excited to just spend Thursday at the bars around MSG to hopefully talk with other fans and enjoy the whole scene.

I know we want to be out asap, but I'm kind of glad we will be in the conference next year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Really look forward going to the BET every year, it's probably one of the biggest drawbacks (if there's really one) of going to the ACC. Greensboro is about a 90 minute drive from where I live, so that'll be convenient, but no where near as fun/interesting. Putting all political correctness, etc, aside, JB's straight-shooting comments relative to Greensboro is simply calling a spade a spade...nothing to candy coat there.

Is the ACC coming to MSG really that easy to pull off?

It's not like the BE will agree to play the BET somewhere else once every four years. And the ACC will clearly never settle on one site. MSG may ditch the BET for 100% of the ACCT's, but they're not gonna risk losing the BET for 25% of the ACCT's.

The ACC may consider Newark or Barlcay's, but I would bet against ever seeing the ACCT in MSG.

"The conference will try to learn from the example of the Big East, which has spread its 16-team tournament over five days since 2009, and also see what works for the SEC as it expands to 14 teams next season."

Ugh.

It's not like the BE will agree to play the BET somewhere else once every four years. And the ACC will clearly never settle on one site. MSG may ditch the BET for 100% of the ACCT's, but they're not gonna risk losing the BET for 25% of the ACCT's.

The ACC may consider Newark or Barlcay's, but I would bet against ever seeing the ACCT in MSG.

How about the Dome? 1981 was one of the great experiences of my life.

Grandaddy of them all... I know everyone (or most) believe what they experience is the best. So I can't decide if it's just b/c of where I lived or not, but the buzz around the big east tourney and the fan base and media attention (also maybe b/c of the loc) is so much greater then that of any other tourney. I'm scared we're all going to hate the acc tourney and we'll be like those teams that only care about march.

I've never spent much time watching the ACC tournament, but when I did the crowd, atmosphere, and love-fest from the announcers made me feel like I was watching a golf tournament in comparison to watching the Big East.

That's actually a really good point and something I haven't thought too much about. Barclay's may be nice but definitely not as nice. Maybe we can bump the BE to Brooklyn somehow?

The writer of the article managed to speak with the Coliseum's managing director. I would love to hear someone pose these questions to the managing director of the Garden. I'd imagine he's tougher to get a hold of.

I don't think Swofford and co are that dense. If they want to brand the ACC as the east coast major conference, they'll have the tournament hit all the major locations through the region. Rotate between Boston, NYC, Philly, Pitt, DC/Baltimore, the Carolinas, Atlanta and Florida.

Do you need further proof that SU (and Pitt) will be no more than poor cousins in the ACC.

“There’s a belief from our schools that the ACC tournament was born in this state, and this is its real home.”

I'm sorry to think that SU will never be a big factor in the ACC because the North Carolina crew will never let them be. Or at least for the foreseeable future.

isn't he right, though? about being the "granddaddy?" wasn't the ACC the first conference to install a post season tournament?

There is nothing wrong with being respectful of their traditions. Remember, the ACC threw Syracuse a lifeline in an era of uncertainty. The Big East is a mess, the Big Ten didn't want Syracuse, and the fact is that the football program is not an appealing draw when it comes time to negotiate media contracts. Now, I'm not saying that SU should go bowing and stooping, hat in hand, but a certain amount of gratitude is appropriate.

People here talking about Swofford's arrogance - how about the expectation that a 60 year tradition should be scrapped just like that. That is arrogance, IMO.

isn't he right, though? about being the "granddaddy?" wasn't the ACC the first conference to install a post season tournament?

There is nothing wrong with being respectful of their traditions. Remember, the ACC threw Syracuse a lifeline in an era of uncertainty. The Big East is a mess, the Big Ten didn't want Syracuse, and the fact is that the football program is not an appealing draw when it comes time to negotiate media contracts. Now, I'm not saying that SU should go bowing and stooping, hat in hand, but a certain amount of gratitude is appropriate.

People here talking about Swofford's arrogance - how about the expectation that a 60 year tradition should be scrapped just like that. That is arrogance, IMO.

Agreed. I may not care or know as much about ACC history as I do BE/syracuse history, but that doesn't mean that the ACC doesn't have a rich history that it should be proud of. We are joining them, not the other way around.

Hopefully they will realize that to be a true Atlantic Coast Conference, it will have to occasionally rotate Tue tournament north. But that doesn't mean the ACC should throw away its traditions and its history.

And perhaps Syracuse fans should accept the challenge and turn our first ACC tournament into our southern garden party. Our loud, drunk, obnoxious and vulgar fans will make an impression. Hopefully one that pisses of their fans and brings us some instant heal heat.

Winning the ACC our first year and then winning the grand daddy of conference tournaments will go a long way to cementing our place.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Very good points and an interesting perspective. I just don't see us owing much of anything to the ACC. The Big East is a mess mostly because we're leaving. Fact is, they wanted to be the top dog in hoops again, and we're making that possible. We get part of a fat TV contract in return. Fair trade. Also, I'm not sure what you're alluding to with the 60-year tradition. Maybe I'm mistaken (and Moqui, I do believe you know a lot more about college hoops than I), but hasn't the ACC tourney been shifted around quite a bit?

I bolded that one sentence of your post because I think it's a very strong point. We should be thankful for them opening their doors to us. But now that they have, we aren't guests in their house, and we don't need to act like it.

- - -People here talking about Swofford's arrogance - how about the expectation that a 60 year tradition should be scrapped just like that. That is arrogance, IMO.[/quote]
While tradition is nice, there has to be a certain amount of willingness to grow other wise there would be no BCS. If tradition was maitained, the various bowls would actually mean something rather than having one declared the championship bowl. The North Carolina schools created the ACC and control it and they are not about to give up that control. If they want the conference to grow to 14 or 16 schools, they have to be willing to recognize all the schools as equals. they talk about how the northern schools would probaly like to go south for the spring. how about staying near home so more of their fans could see the games. With BC, SU and Maryland, there are at least 3 schools closer to MSG than Greensbrough.

Very good points and an interesting perspective. I just don't see us owing much of anything to the ACC. The Big East is a mess mostly because we're leaving. Fact is, they wanted to be the top dog in hoops again, and we're making that possible. We get part of a fat TV contract in return. Fair trade. Also, I'm not sure what you're alluding to with the 60-year tradition. Maybe I'm mistaken (and Moqui, I do believe you know a lot more about college hoops than I), but hasn't the ACC tourney been shifted around quite a bit?

I bolded that one sentence of your post because I think it's a very strong point. We should be thankful for them opening their doors to us. But now that they have, we aren't guests in their house, and we don't need to act like it.

They have had an ACC tournament for 60 years. The Coliseum was constructed in 1959, but the ACC didn't start holding the Tourney there until 1967. Since then it has been held in Greensboro 23 times.

And just because they opened the door to us doesn't mean we need to walk in and stuff on their carpet either...

Fact is we needed their generosity much more than they needed our basketball pedigree...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom