Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro...

the 1st time the Garden gets 7k for the friday night double header after playing in front of 4 & 5k on wed and thurs...they will start to think long and hard about whether or not they want the BET.

plus you have to think that the 5 teams in texas and the 4 in california and the 6 in indiana etc...would like the tourny moved closer to their home turf.

the 1st time the Garden gets 7k for the friday night double header after playing in front of 4 & 5k on wed and thurs...they will start to think long and hard about whether or not they want the BET.

plus you have to think that the 5 teams in texas and the 4 in california and the 6 in indiana etc...would like the tourny moved closer to their home turf.
my money is on the whole clusterfcuk collapsing before MSG gets a chance to opt out of renewal

and for the guy who said the thing is in trouble because SU left - nope. the BE has been in critical condition for a decade. thank goodness we got on one of the life rafts.

It's only fair that they rotate it every year among the schools, so we get it once every 14 years.

Come to think of it, I'll seek if I can pre-book the Sheraton for March 2025 now.

isn't he right, though? about being the "granddaddy?" wasn't the ACC the first conference to install a post season tournament?

There is nothing wrong with being respectful of their traditions. Remember, the ACC threw Syracuse a lifeline in an era of uncertainty. The Big East is a mess, the Big Ten didn't want Syracuse, and the fact is that the football program is not an appealing draw when it comes time to negotiate media contracts. Now, I'm not saying that SU should go bowing and stooping, hat in hand, but a certain amount of gratitude is appropriate.

People here talking about Swofford's arrogance - how about the expectation that a 60 year tradition should be scrapped just like that. That is arrogance, IMO.

Want to like this multipel times. Exactly how I feel.

Does the ACC Tourney sell out in Greensboro? I vaguely recall that unlike years ago ... they don't.

Do you need further proof that SU (and Pitt) will be no more than poor cousins in the ACC.

“There’s a belief from our schools that the ACC tournament was born in this state, and this is its real home.”

I'm sorry to think that SU will never be a big factor in the ACC because the North Carolina crew will never let them be. Or at least for the foreseeable future.
Methinks you over-react. I'd expect in the long term to see the ACC tournament held in Greensboro every other year, with a North/South ping pong rotation the other years.

And perhaps Syracuse fans should accept the challenge and turn our first ACC tournament into our southern garden party. Our loud, drunk, obnoxious and vulgar fans will make an impression. Hopefully one that pisses of their fans and brings us some instant heal heat.

I like where your head's at.

Can you imagine if Duke and UNC joined the BE, you think we'd be gung ho about moving the BET to Greensboro?

I definitely think it is in the best interest to rotate the ACC tournament and have it played in the Garden on occasion, but as has been said, other people have traditions too. No reason to flush that down the drain for us.

Basically what I expected. We wanted the financial deal and playing in the ACCT in Greensboro instead of the BET in MSG is part of that. I'll really miss the BET. The atmosphere for 4 days in NYC is amazing. The ACC is not moving their tourney. Greensboro is convenient for 10 of the 14 schools. Expect it to be held there 4 of every 6 years with the other 2 in DC and Atlanta. Maybe they'll try Boston once every 10 years for the northern crew. I don't see it ever going to NYC. Big East basketball is not going away...though it and the BET won't be quite what it was when the newbies arrive to water down the field. But as long as they have UConn, Georgetown, Nova, an improving St. John's, ND, and Temple there will be top 20 caliber teams and good match ups. I can't see the ACC using the Prudential Center in Newark as a site. The arena is nice but the surrounding area is not. The Barkley Center in Brooklyn I read is already committed to the A-10 for several years. Maybe if Temple leaves the A-10 that changes but who knows. Anyway, I'm sure they would prefer an every year commit from the A-10 to a once every 4/6 years from the ACC. I'd like to check out the atmosphere at the tourney in Greensboro. But I have a feeling tix will be hard to come by. Duke/UNC own the thing. It's close to their campus and a big alumni base. They're in the semis and finals every year. They own the thing like we owned MSG. It will be a hostile atmosphere when we play, I'm sure. And that always makes it less fun.

Too much reverence for tradition got the Big East into the trouble its in now. IF the opportunity is there to play the conference tournament at MSG--an infamous stage in the #1 media market in the US--the league would be ing idiotic not to make it happen. Acknowledging that MSG is a superior site to Greensboro may upset some people but it is the absolute truth.

Greensboro isn't holding the ACC Tournament this year since they'll also be holding the NCAA first two rounds with the ACC as host. I imagine that one of the years that this happens again (which seems to be fairly often), that you'll see the tournament head north to like DC or NY.

Lot of people are taking much for granted in assuming that the MSG people would actually want to trade the Big East Tournament for the ACC brand.

Do you really think that the NY Metro would prefer to watch teams like UNC, SU, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Duke when they can watch DePaul, SMU, Central Florida, San Diego State and Rutgers?? These are sophisticated Manhattanites we're talking about here, not a couple of rubes from Otisco.

Lot of people are taking much for granted in assuming that the MSG people would actually want to trade the Big East Tournament for the ACC brand.

Do you really think that the NY Metro would prefer to watch teams like UNC, SU, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Duke when they can watch DePaul, SMU, Central Florida, San Diego State and Rutgers?? These are sophisticated Manhattanites we're talking about here, not a couple of rubes from Otisco.

Just imagine what you'll have to pay on the street to get in for that SMU-USF and DePaul-Houston Wednesday afternoon clash.

What makes the Big East tournament so much fun to be at and also watch on tv is that the semis and finals are played/shown in primetime on Friday and Saturday and it gives the fans at the Garden that much more time to get liquored up and crazy. The ACC semis and finals are shown in the early afternoon and always seem bland. The crowds hardly seem into it unless it's Duke vs. UNC and the crowd is all of their fans.

I still think that it will eventually rotate to MSG. How often? That's the question. I can't tell whether Swofford is being arrogant in that article or if he is just saying the right things for the longtime ACC teams...for now.

I feel fairly confident that he is doing his best to reassure the blue bloods of the ACC that while times are changing, some things will remain the same - like the ACC tourney in Greensboro. Meanwhile He's working on changing things.

Gotta remember that the Carolina mafia isn't just a college thing. I remember Carolina folks freaking out when NASCAR Pulled the plug on races at Rockingham Speedway...even though the races couldn't even sell out the relatively tiny capacity there.

Time won't stop, no matter how much the Carolina folks want it to. The ACC will make the right business decisions with Swafford at the helm. The folks in Carolina will bitch about it endlessly when he does. And life will continue to go on.

Acknowledging that MSG is a superior site to Greensboro may upset some people but it is the absolute truth.

This is what they're missing. The ACC has acted like there's something wrong with making a value judgment. It's not the case that Washington = Atlanta = Greensboro = whatever other lousy sports town the ACC Tournament has been in. There are necessarily differences among these cities.

They've been pandering to different constituencies. That's lame. Part of the reason the Big East has been great is the reliance on the Garden (with the Knicks floor) as the great constant. Different players, different teams, different coaches, same building. The venue is the best option anywhere.

The ACC should identify the best place for the tournament and stick with it. There's nothing exciting about the event rotating among different cities.

The ACC should identify the best place for the tournament and stick with it. There's nothing exciting about the event rotating among different cities.
You don't really want that. If they have to pick one place it'll be Greensboro, Charlotte or Raleigh.

You don't really want that. If they have to pick one place it'll be Greensboro, Charlotte or Raleigh.

I'd probably be dissatisfied with their choice, but I'd give them some credit for picking one.

Aside from the Big East, I don't know where the Power 6 tournaments are this year. They shouldn't be proud of that.

The best option would be to rotate the Greensboro Coliseum and Madison Square Garden every year. 3 of every 5 years, it would be hosted at Greensboro. Which would please the Carolina-4. It seems fans of schools outside of NC would welcome the Garden with open arms.

Rotating between the two, would be a pretty easy sell to recruits. "Hey kid, want to play a conference tournament in two of the country's most famous arenas?"

Aside from the Big East, I don't know where the Power 6 tournaments are this year. They shouldn't be proud of that.
That's 'cause you're a homer. :)

SEC in N'Orleans (no, not at the SuperDome) and ACC in Atlanta (no, not at the Georgia Dome), BET at MSG. I know that Big XII rotates between KC & Dallas (and maybe elsewhere), no idea about B1G & PAC. I would guess that B1G does Detroit, Indy and possibly Chi-town.

It's not arrogance.
It's tradition.
It's stronger in the south.
The ACC believes in it and lives it.
People probably have to live there for a while to really understand it.

It's odd for them to play the ACC tourney as far north as DC.
Don't expect it in NYC.
It's NOT all about the Benjamins for them.
Wish we were more like that.

That way we wouldn't be wondering if there's a way to play G-town every year.
KEEP HATE ALIVE!

GO ORANGE!

That's 'cause you're a homer. :)

SEC in N'Orleans (no, not at the SuperDome) and ACC in Atlanta (no, not at the Georgia Dome), BET at MSG. I know that Big XII rotates between KC & Dallas (and maybe elsewhere), no idea about B1G & PAC. I would guess that B1G does Detroit, Indy and possibly Chi-town.

I think St. Louis might be in the mix for the Big XII, too. Los Angeles has been a frequent home for the PAC, not sure if it's there every year, though.

Too darn much to keep straight. SEC in Atlanta, XII in Kansas City, PAC in Los Angeles, and Big Ten in Indianapolis would be easier to remember.

And perh
Methinks you over-react. I'd expect in the long term to see the ACC tournament held in Greensboro every other year, with a North/South ping pong rotation the other years.
And perhaps you are right. It may be response to the those who think that SU will soon dominate the ACC. A rotation that you mention is a fair way of doing it with it more likely being like Greensboro-Northern city-Greensboro-Southern City-Greensboro. One problem is that a big arena would give a much more favorable contract to an annual event than one that is there at best every other year or once every four years if that and that may be just the excuse the ACC could use to stay in one place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom