Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Swofford on expansion, ACC tourney and Greensboro...

Greensboro Coliseum Complex

The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is a multi-building facility designed to serve the citizens of Greensboro and the surrounding area through a broad range of activities, including athletic events, cultural arts, concerts, theater, educational activities, fairs, exhibits, and public and private events of all kinds including conventions, convocations and trade and consumer shows. It is both a primary center of activity for the community and a leading economic generator for this region.

The Greensboro Coliseum Complex consists of 23,500-seat Greensboro Coliseum (the largest single-seat arena in the nation), 2,400-seat War Memorial Auditorium, 300-seat Odeon Theatre, the 167,000-square foot Special Events Center that includes three exhibition halls, a 4,500-seat mini-arena and eight meeting rooms, and the 30,000- square-foot Pavilion, located adjacent to the Special Events Center.
The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is one of the most actively booked facilities in the country hosting more than 850 events on an annual basis. With its incredible versatility, the Complex has gained worldwide acclaim from promoters, producers, event planners and patrons.
The Complex expanded dynamically in 2011 with the addition of four new, unique venues that attracted thousands of visitors and brought millions of dollars in economic impact to the Greensboro community.
ACC Hall of Champions, an 8,100-square-foot museum that showcases ACC history through interactive displays, unique institutional exhibits and multi-purpose program space. Highlights include a four-foot, 360-degree, state-of-the-art video globe with a unique, multi-media display of conference highlights, life-size ACC school mascot exhibits that have been a huge hit with younger visitors and an interactive exhibit that lets fans face off in a head-to-head challenge to test their knowledge of ACC sports trivia.
Greensboro Aquatic Center, a 78,323-square foot, state-of-the-art facility with three bodies of water and a seating capacity of 2,500. This GAC brings together all major aquatic sports – competitive swimming and diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and other unique sports - all in one venue.
White Oak Amphitheatre, an outdoor venue with a seating capacity of over 7,600, including more than 2,000 reserved seats. White Oak Amphitheatre hosts a diverse selection of community programs, music, arts and crafts and festival type events.
The Terrace, a 12,900-square-foot banquet facility ideal for hosting speaking engagements, hospitality functions and upscale dining events in a luxurious, richly decorated setting.

I think St. Louis might be in the mix for the Big XII, too. Los Angeles has been a frequent home for the PAC, not sure if it's there every year, though.

Too darn much to keep straight. SEC in Atlanta, XII in Kansas City, PAC in Los Angeles, and Big Ten in Indianapolis would be easier to remember.

I think the Pac-12 is in LA every year. I had the memory that the Big 10 being in Chicago, but apparently they rotate between Chicago and Indy?

Anyway, I agree with the point that the BET being at MSG every year is a good thing for the tournament, gives it an identity, all that good stuff.

First, the only place in the NYC area that it will ever go is MSG. Newark? Be serious. And I do think MSG will be in the rotation. Greensboro may get the most dates, but the ACC will at least test the waters in NYC to see how it would work as a more regular venue.

The Big10 should OWN Chicago (I would say Detroit, but it's Detroit). Second option is Indianapolis, but that just doesn't seem to carry the same cache as Chicago. Chicago is the mid west. Big Shoulders and all.

The Big East has been smart to lock up MSG. It's their signature. Goes together like hot pretzels and mustard.
madison-square-garden-1.jpg

The Pac12 taking LA is a perfect fit.
living-los-angeles.jpg

The SEC should make New Orleans their capitol.
neworleans.jpg

The Big12 will make their home wherever the Texas Longhorns tell them to make it.
images

The ACC is in a difficult spot. I'm sure the old guard wants no part of giving up control of the North Carolina-centric nature of the conference. The fact is, they may never have to. But nationally, North Carolina doesn't carry the same prestige of NYC, Chicago, LA or even New Orleans. Greensboro is the boonies as far as the rest of the country is concerned. The major cities within that footprint -- not already staked out by others -- that do fit the bill are Washington DC, Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Miami.

DC is too "Northern" and would never sit well with the North Carolina mafia.
Philadelphia has no representation within the conference, so they're out.
Miami is too extreme -- a southern city that's really a northern city.
That leaves Atlanta -- which would absolutely work, except it's not in North Carolina. I suspect they will decide that Greensboro is the conference's permanent home. I think it's mistake. But it is what it is.

Greensboro is the conference's permanent home. I think it's mistake. But it is what it is.

Given that in the last 7 years, the ACC tournament has been held in Greensboro, DC, Tampa, Charlotte, and Atlanta... I'd hardly call Greensboro "permanent".

Given that in the last 7 years, the ACC tournament has been held in Greensboro, DC, Tampa, Charlotte, and Atlanta... I'd hardly call Greensboro "permanent".

True. But my point was, the major conferences are smart to lock in one permanent location -- just as the Big East did with MSG. Bouncing a tournament around if great for small conferences. But the big boys need to develop their tournament image, make it consistent.

True. But my point was, the major conferences are smart to lock in one permanent location -- just as the Big East did with MSG. Bouncing a tournament around if great for small conferences. But the big boys need to develop their tournament image, make it consistent.
That is one way to look at it. Another is that they should play in a bigger stage...and spread the wealth among the regions. The excitement of being in MSG say, every 3 years...would be great for recruiting, for northern fans, and for southern fans looking for an awesome road trip.

Charlotte would be cool...there's no Wolfgang's Steakhouse, but Morton's, Ruth's Chris and Capital Grille will do. :)

I'm looking forward to the first time it's in Greensboro. I see our locust fanbase rolling in there and horrifying the Tobacco Road schools.

I'm looking forward to the first time it's in Greensboro. I see our locust fanbase rolling in there and horrifying the Tobacco Road schools.

Many won't have too far to travel either...

I love the elitist attitude on this board sometime (sarcasm!) the Big East isn't going anywhere for their post season tourney! 1 the good old boys won't allow the AcC tourney north of Maryland and 2 the Big East won't agree to leave MSG every four years. Whoever thinks this Is smoking something!

Greensboro Coliseum Complex

The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is a multi-building facility designed to serve the citizens of Greensboro and the surrounding area through a broad range of activities, including athletic events, cultural arts, concerts, theater, educational activities, fairs, exhibits, and public and private events of all kinds including conventions, convocations and trade and consumer shows. It is both a primary center of activity for the community and a leading economic generator for this region.

The Greensboro Coliseum Complex consists of 23,500-seat Greensboro Coliseum (the largest single-seat arena in the nation), 2,400-seat War Memorial Auditorium, 300-seat Odeon Theatre, the 167,000-square foot Special Events Center that includes three exhibition halls, a 4,500-seat mini-arena and eight meeting rooms, and the 30,000- square-foot Pavilion, located adjacent to the Special Events Center.
The Greensboro Coliseum Complex is one of the most actively booked facilities in the country hosting more than 850 events on an annual basis. With its incredible versatility, the Complex has gained worldwide acclaim from promoters, producers, event planners and patrons.
The Complex expanded dynamically in 2011 with the addition of four new, unique venues that attracted thousands of visitors and brought millions of dollars in economic impact to the Greensboro community.
ACC Hall of Champions, an 8,100-square-foot museum that showcases ACC history through interactive displays, unique institutional exhibits and multi-purpose program space. Highlights include a four-foot, 360-degree, state-of-the-art video globe with a unique, multi-media display of conference highlights, life-size ACC school mascot exhibits that have been a huge hit with younger visitors and an interactive exhibit that lets fans face off in a head-to-head challenge to test their knowledge of ACC sports trivia.
Greensboro Aquatic Center, a 78,323-square foot, state-of-the-art facility with three bodies of water and a seating capacity of 2,500. This GAC brings together all major aquatic sports – competitive swimming and diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and other unique sports - all in one venue.
White Oak Amphitheatre, an outdoor venue with a seating capacity of over 7,600, including more than 2,000 reserved seats. White Oak Amphitheatre hosts a diverse selection of community programs, music, arts and crafts and festival type events.
The Terrace, a 12,900-square-foot banquet facility ideal for hosting speaking engagements, hospitality functions and upscale dining events in a luxurious, richly decorated setting.

Welcome ACC fans. After game watching please make your way to the Golden Corral or Shoney's! It's not like you can go bar hopping around the Greensboro Complex.

Is the ACC coming to MSG really that easy to pull off?

It's not like the BE will agree to play the BET somewhere else once every four years. And the ACC will clearly never settle on one site. MSG may ditch the BET for 100% of the ACCT's, but they're not gonna risk losing the BET for 25% of the ACCT's.

The ACC may consider Newark or Barlcay's, but I would bet against ever seeing the ACCT in MSG.

A-10 is holding its tourney in Brooklyn. So that's out.

I've never spent much time watching the ACC tournament, but when I did the crowd, atmosphere, and love-fest from the announcers made me feel like I was watching a golf tournament in comparison to watching the Big East.

Agree. ACC tourney is a snoozefest.

“We feel their fan bases would embrace the opportunity to come south in March,” Brown said. “They’re coming down to play golf and watch the tournament instead of sloshing through the snow up at Madison Square Garden.”

On this point alone, I'm not sure I agree with homie. The fan base in the NE would be depressed if they couldn't watch the tourney in MSG. Southern folks have NYC on their bucket lists and this would be a great excuse to check it off. Besides, early March in the south is not as warm as indicated (this year being an exception) and, sans the '03 drought, it rains every other day in March. Folks that plan to golf in early march better bring some galoshes with 5-inch cleats.

Well, if it is down there in year 1, I will personally make sure that I am as stereotypically Irish Catholic drunk as humanly possible to terrify the Tobacco Road folks into thinking that their nightmare is coming true - Loud Papist Yankees who are drunkards.

Well, if it is down there in year 1, I will personally make sure that I am as stereotypically Irish Catholic drunk as humanly possible to terrify the Tobacco Road folks into thinking that their nightmare is coming true - Loud Papist Yankees who are drunkards.

Right there with you

DC is too "Northern" and would never sit well with the North Carolina mafia.
Philadelphia has no representation within the conference, so they're out.
Miami is too extreme -- a southern city that's really a northern city.
That leaves Atlanta -- which would absolutely work, except it's not in North Carolina. I suspect they will decide that Greensboro is the conference's permanent home. I think it's mistake. But it is what it is.

My bet would be Charlotte.

This thread amuses me. I love how so many think that all the southerners down here don't know how to deal with yankees. Do you guys even realize how many of us yankees already live down south? North Carolina in particular is full of yankees. At this point there might be more upstate New Yorkers living below the Mason-Dixon line then there are actually living in upstate New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom