Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you say this?

Your numbers are your numbers.

Brycen Goodine at Providence has been terrible. He was terrible at Syracuse.
There’s kids all over college sports that are in a bad fit and go to a new school and play better. It’s not black and white.

But be negative if you would like to. I don’t really give a f*** it’s exhausting.

From two years ago when he reclassified from 2020 to 2019.

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 04/12/2019​

Jerry Meyer

Jerry MeyerDIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL SCOUTING

PROJECTION​

UFA

COMPARISON​

Jerel McNealPHOENIX SUNS

Good physique for a point guard, and he can also play shooting guard. A physical slasher who passes well off the dribble. Loves to set players up but is a quality scorer as well. Quality rebounder as a guard who can defend at a high level and defend multiple positions. Plays with an edge and competes.Could develop into an NBA player.

Was rated with .97ish skills where .999 was the highest. Believe that the lower score had to do with his late reclassifying into 2019 when compared to 2019 recruits. Still not A Kadary but has the abilities. Don’t know what happened at Marquette.

It's of course a downgrade...but really, we could do a heck of a lot worse.

With all the portal chaos...this is a multi-year commit, who we won't be losing to the pro game! Don't hate it. If he over performs expectations(which is possible), then we'll all be happy.

I saw the kid play against UNC for Marquette and asked why we didn’t recruit him.
So I am glad he is on the team.
We still need a lot more talent.
As Joe Girard shouldn’t be a PG playing the bulk of the minutes if we want to compete for the top of the conference.

Welp, talent wise we lost this trade between him and Richmond big time. I will say him, Buddy and JG3 know each other well and played together on the AAU circuit so the chemistry will be there. I also feel like the players will know their roles a lot better based on that.

So positives from this:
Chemistry and players knowing their roles

cons:
talent LOL

Fellas I’m just gonna say it. If we don’t get 2 really solid transfers this off season we aren’t going to be very good next year. Like I don’t think we will be .500 good next year. So I’m gonna wait and see what we do with some other transfers coming in, plus to see what Quincy does. But players like Symir and Boeheim jr aren’t going to get the fans excited and aren’t going to make us better. The staff needs to bring in more talented guys than these 2 out of the portal and that is just a fact

He wants to play at Syracuse. Good for him.
And 3 years of eligibility and more then likely won't be transferring again. Hes ok with the system in place and his role and who knows what he will be as a upperclassmen. Theres lots of upside for sure. I get it, people will be disappointed no matter what because of what we lost (im one of them) but this is a solid pick up. I can talk about our deficiencies that we will still have with the 2 starters but that's not going to change at this point and it's a broken record. Its obvious we gotta build this team around Buddy/JG3 so a physical defender is probably a solid choice! Glad he's a local and is so excited to be a part of the program. Let's roll!

I hope this kid does great for us and shoves it up the arse of everyone hammering him right now. I am not happy about Kadary leaving either, but shut the hell up with this kid, he was pushed by Marquette to reclassify when maybe he needed an extra year, he will be happier back home, which could make him a better player here.

True. Elijah Hughes did stink at ECU and obviously stunk Torrence has experience playing with Joe Girard and Buddy Boeheim from their AAU days.

Elijah scored 7 points a game in his freshman year, avg 20 mins a game, then got to sit for a year to work on his game under the staff

Symir scored 2 pts a game in 12 mins a game over 2 years.

other than that, basically the same.

Welp, talent wise we lost this trade between him and Richmond big time. I will say him, Buddy and JG3 know each other well and played together on the AAU circuit so the chemistry will be there. I also feel like the players will know their roles a lot better based on that.

So positives from this:
Chemistry and players knowing their roles

cons:
talent LOL

Fellas I’m just gonna say it. If we don’t get 2 really solid transfers this off season we aren’t going to be very good next year. Like I don’t think we will be .500 good next year. So I’m gonna wait and see what we do with some other transfers coming in, plus to see what Quincy does. But players like Symir and Boeheim jr aren’t going to get the fans excited and aren’t going to make us better. The staff needs to bring in more talented guys than these 2 out of the portal and that is just a fact

Seems like Alan will be back tho

I saw the kid play against UNC for Marquette and asked why we didn’t recruit him.
So I am glad he is on the team.
We still need a lot more talent.
As Joe Girard shouldn’t be a PG playing the bulk of the minutes if we want to compete for the top of the conference.

Well that's good to hear from someone who has actually seen him play. We need guard depth and apparently he is goodwith his projected role. Hopefully he will develop.

Well that's good to hear from someone who has actually seen him play. We need guard depth and apparently he is goodwith his projected role. Hopefully he will develop.
Now we need forward to sign!!!!

Elijah scored 7 points a game in his freshman year, avg 20 mins a game, then got to sit for a year to work on his game under the staff

Symir scored 2 pts a game in 12 mins a game over 2 years.

other than that, basically the same.

Lol. It's a quick counter argument to "you are what your numbers say you are."

So when Elijah was at ECU averaging 7pts/game for a mid-major, you knew he was going to lead the ACC in scoring?

Poor Symir will be pegged to be an unfavored on before he even gets to campus because of Kadary. Here’s hoping his relationships with our guys cuts back on his learning curve. I’m still really bummed.
I think that’ll be Joe, not Symir

Lol. It's a quick counter argument that you are what your numbers say you are.

So when Elijah was at ECU averaging 7pts/game for a mid-major, you knew he was going to lead the ACC in scoring?

not at all.

im saying Symir is being brought in to fill a specific role.

True. Elijah Hughes did stink at ECU and obviously stunk here
Here we go.

Elijah Hughes was hurt during the ECU season - his one season. And averaged 7.5 ppg in 20+ mpg. He didn't stink.

Torrence averaged 11.9 mpg over TWO seasons and 52 games at the Big East level, and wasn't good enough three years ago when we passed on him.

What do you think has changed?

everyone needs to calm down. This covid year was a bummer for college kids. You are stuck in a dorm room, you aren't in front of fans, you are basically on lock down while you should be ripping it up on a campus and experiencing the big man on campus vibe. The natural reaction is kids wanting to go home and be around people they know.

I think we are making more of this (both on who's coming and going) than there is. Kids want to be loved and where the love can be is at home. I bet Richmond goes to Seton Hall or Uconn (i.e. closer to his home).

Once we get the dome rocking again, kids can sneak back into whatever the bar du jour is, we'll be attractive to out of towners again.

Breathe everyone.

Here we go.

Elijah Hughes was hurt during the ECU season - his one season. And averaged 7.5 ppg in 20+ mpg. He didn't stink.

Torrence averaged 11.9 mpg over TWO seasons and 52 games at the Big East level, and wasn't good enough three years ago when we passed on him.

What do you think has changed?

Hater. You hate Syracuse. The negativity. How dare you.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors