Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gbinije wasn’t turning heads at Duke.

it’s ridiculous to have G and Elijah comparisons for the sake of powdering up this acquisition, but it is fair added perspective considering this kid did reclassify.

Who knows what hes capable of. Im confident though that hes better than what his Marquette stats say though.

I have never seen Symir play at any level, but the descriptions posted here from various recruiting sites - he sounds like a clone of Brandon Triche. Physical combo guard with a PG mentality who is a good but not great shooter. Strength, length and athleticism for the top of the zone. Similar rankings coming out of HS.

Doesn't have the star potential of Kadary to be sure, but sounds like he should be talented enough to push Joe for time. If JB allows it.

I have never seen Symir play at any level, but the descriptions posted here from various recruiting sites - he sounds like a clone of Brandon Triche. Physical combo guard with a PG mentality who is a good but not great shooter. Strength, length and athleticism for the top of the zone. Similar rankings coming out of HS.

Doesn't have the star potential of Kadary to be sure, but sounds like he should be talented enough to push Joe for time. If JB allows it.

Brandon Triche would be our best player next year if he was on this team. Symir is not that. Not even close.

I don’t think his Marquette stats reflect his potential. But that’ll be the narrative he’ll face heading into practice. Think CNY kids do well with a chip on their shoulder though.
Wel he was higher rated coming out of high school than Kadary, so there's that. Not saying he has anywhere near the potential Richmond showed this year, but he's a viable piece. And he wants to be here.

When do we think Jimmy Boeheim announcement happens? That has to be the next shoe to drop or you think Jim will wait to see how the transfers shake out?

Anyone judging Symir harshly is only doing so based upon some very limited stats. Nothing else.
There is a reason Shaka Smart reached out to him and wanted him to stay.
Go watch some video of him playing. You may change your mind. He looks the part. Good handle, can drive, really good court awareness looking for the extra pass.
This is a kid who will accept his role, be a team player, and do everything he is asked of. The type of player any good team needs.
May not ever be a star but will do anything to help the team win ballgames.

Gbinije wasn’t turning heads at Duke.

it’s ridiculous to have G and Elijah comparisons for the sake of powdering up this acquisition, but it is fair added perspective considering this kid did reclassify.

Who knows what hes capable of. Im confident though that hes better than what his Marquette stats say though.
What makes this a false equivalent is that neither of those guys was brought in to replace a really good player that transferred out due to not being on the same page as the head coach.

my issue is that JB should have moved heaven and earth to keep Kadary here. It wouldn’t have taken much...

My initial posts were unfair to Symir.
i hope he kills it here and he’s a great cog to a team.

I guess my posts were just reacting to a confirmation, despite what others have posted here, that next year will be Joe for 30+ mins a game. I truly believe this move solidified it. I don’t expect them to bring in any other guard to challenge for playing time.

Maybe I’m wrong.

regardless, was and is unfair to Symir. congrats on coming back home

At this point is Brandon’s career he started for two years, including on a team that should’ve won a championship and was in the top 10 most of the year. Relax.

The only person some of these posters would be happy bringing in to replace Kadary would be Kadary, or as I saw someone post yesterday, Magic Johnson in his prime.
Welcome Symir.

The kid from Auburn is who we need.

Its not just the board either. 75-80 percent of the fan base is fed up with JB based on facebook/Twitter and my alumni contacts.

I love this. A kid that wants to be here. Former top 100 recruit. Solid build. Good defender. I look at it this way. In a roster of 13 players, we need 5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers. Currently we have 4 guards (Buddy, Joe, Symir and Chaz). So, we can pick up one more guard, and we really need to. Hopefully he is an impact transfer or a freshman becomes available like Kadary did. We have a more glaring need at forward and center. Hopefully we get some good news on those two fronts soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom