SyraCRUZ Tailgate 2023 - Time to Step Up! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SyraCRUZ Tailgate 2023 - Time to Step Up!

Are we seeing less people giving money or the same people giving less money?

Which also points to the NIL fatigue and low long will people with real money keep throwing it at kids when it really only seems to be the same teams at the top..

Are we 3-5 yrs away from the same 10-20 teams winning most of the games but having to spend gobs of NIL money and the other 30-50 teams in the same spot they are now but figuring out NIL is not something they have to spend gobs on because at some point those kids still want to play ball and take the free ride?

Are we seeing less people giving money or the same people giving less money?

Which also points to the NIL fatigue and low long will people with real money keep throwing it at kids when it really only seems to be the same teams at the top..

Are we 3-5 yrs away from the same 10-20 teams winning most of the games but having to spend gobs of NIL money and the other 30-50 teams in the same spot they are now but figuring out NIL is not something they have to spend gobs on because at some point those kids still want to play ball and take the free ride?

We had 75 unique donors last year. So far we have 35 this year. If you remove a very large anonymous donation of $5000 from last year our average donation was $147. To date the average pledge is $124, so it's a little of both at this point. But things really didn't kick in last year until June so hopefully we will see a surge.

Concerned at this point that we will not be able to do everything we did last year, but will still be able to sponsor Enrique and at least a few guest appearances. I'm sure there are several who have been put off by NIL fatigue as you phrase it and the state of college athletics with NIL abuses and the transfer portal, but our initiative is NIL done the right way. Too many feel NIL is something that is done with OPM (other people's money) when the fact is that we all have a role, whether it is through donations to the collectives, registering on INFLCR and offering individual transactions, urging businesses you support to get in the game and supporting those who do, or by becoming a donor to the SyraCRUZ Tailgate.

The intent of our little project is not necessarily to help make Syracuse a national power, but to show appreciation for some exceptional student athletes who have chosen to wear Orange. Those who had the opportunity to meet Enrique and Rhino as well as the tailgate guests we sponsored last year all got to see that these are quality young adults on and off the field or court. And the athletes we sponsored have all expressed to me their appreciation for all the support this group has offered as well as how much they have enjoyed the interaction.

As a reminder, if you plan to donate but haven't made a pledge yet, all I need at this point is the amount you intend to contribute. Payment can come later. Message me here or email to dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com with name, board name, email and pledge amount. Every little bit counts!

We had 75 unique donors last year. So far we have 35 this year. If you remove a very large anonymous donation of $5000 from last year our average donation was $147. To date the average pledge is $124, so it's a little of both at this point. But things really didn't kick in last year until June so hopefully we will see a surge.

Concerned at this point that we will not be able to do everything we did last year, but will still be able to sponsor Enrique and at least a few guest appearances. I'm sure there are several who have been put off by NIL fatigue as you phrase it and the state of college athletics with NIL abuses and the transfer portal, but our initiative is NIL done the right way. Too many feel NIL is something that is done with OPM (other people's money) when the fact is that we all have a role, whether it is through donations to the collectives, registering on INFLCR and offering individual transactions, urging businesses you support to get in the game and supporting those who do, or by becoming a donor to the SyraCRUZ Tailgate.

The intent of our little project is not necessarily to help make Syracuse a national power, but to show appreciation for some exceptional student athletes who have chosen to wear Orange. Those who had the opportunity to meet Enrique and Rhino as well as the tailgate guests we sponsored last year all got to see that these are quality young adults on and off the field or court. And the athletes we sponsored have all expressed to me their appreciation for all the support this group has offered as well as how much they have enjoyed the interaction.

As a reminder, if you plan to donate but haven't made a pledge yet, all I need at this point is the amount you intend to contribute. Payment can come later. Message me here or email to dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com with name, board name, email and pledge amount. Every little bit counts!

To the point about how they are great kids on and off the court

The prime example for me is JG3.

From watching him on the court etc I just felt he seemed cocky, kind of seemed like a bit of a jerk to me

Talked to him at one of the tailgates at length and found out that this kid is awesome. Very humble, very supportive of the team (at the time) and at the end of the day, just a kid in college.

Anyway, it was awesome to get to know the athletes that were guest appearances. We might not have given them a fortune, but all of them were so appreciative of what we did give to them.

Hoping we can bank some serious donations in the next few months so that this program can continue.

It truly is NIL done right

Just crossed the $5000 pledged threshold. If you are still on the fence, watch the video posted above and get in the game. This is NIL the way it's meant to be.

Both Chris and Enrique talk about family and that while it's not life changing money, we made an impact in their lives.

Just crossed the $5000 pledged threshold. If you are still on the fence, watch the video posted above and get in the game. This is NIL the way it's meant to be.

Both Chris and Enrique talk about family and that while it's not life changing money, we made an impact in their lives.
Mark in for $144, connect on it soon

Thanks. Great to have you back!
your avatar pic is perfect as is this
godfather-3-just-when-i-thought.jpg

STO and IB sum it up perfectly above, after 50+ years its tough to say goodbye and just couldn't, Especially after watching that Syracruz documentary short on us. At least not with football, hoops, yeah not so much, gonna enjoy the extra $3-4k in the pocket and watch from afar to at least not feel like a total loser after exclaiming I'm done.

No seriously as I wrote to you guys privately, its been like a cycle of grief finally coming to acceptance the new world of college sports and apparently the place we're gonna land in it, the Geer reality slap in the face yesterday to further make and solidify that realization. Sucks.

Just not gonna be as heads in deep with the hopes/desires of maybe once in a blue moon making it to the promised land with football, cuz it aint gonna happen. Having that conscious thought reality in mind will make things easier going forward.

If and until there's substantial NIL/Portal rules and changes to help keep our best home, not gonna invest as much with time, as much $ as well as emotion in it all, but will still enjoy the connections we've all made in the past moving ahead with family and friends here and beyond is the perspective I've come to.

Also Plan to hit up some more other local small college games so may miss a game or two, or three, but, yeah, too hard to give up our perennial underdog Orange. We’re gonna be a bit more of an underdog it appears, so yeah, it'll just make the future glories (like when we beat Clemson again at home!) all the better right?!

Last edited:

STO and IB sum it up perfectly above, after 50+ years its tough to say goodbye and just couldn't, Especially after watching that Syracruz documentary short on us. At least not with football, hoops, yeah not so much, gonna enjoy the extra $3-4k in the pocket and watch from afar to at least not feel like a total loser after exclaiming I'm done.

No seriously as I wrote to you guys privately, its been like a cycle of grief finally coming to acceptance the new world of college sports and apparently the place we're gonna land in it. Sucks. Just not gonna be as heads in deep with the hopes/desires of maybe once in a blue moon making it to the promised land with football, cuz it aint gonna happen. Having that conscious thought reality in mind will make things easier.

If and until there's substantial NIL/Portal rules and changes to help keep our best home, not gonna invest as much with time, as much $ and emotion in it all but will still enjoy the connections we've all made in the past going forward with family and friends here and beyond is the perspective I've come to. Also Plan to hit up some more other local small college games so may miss a game or two, or three, but, yeah, too hard to give up our perennial underdog Orange, we're just a bit more of an underdog, so yeah, it'll just make the future glories (like when we beat Clemson again at home!) all the better right?!

When they expand the CFP we will be in, at some point.

Book it

When they expand the CFP we will be in, at some point.

Book it

If they keep it open that could be our saving grace. If the ACC gets torn apart in 8-12 years...we could reorganize into something more sensible. Maybe gather 8 football teams and hook back up with the Big East and get an automatic bid.

If the P2 loads up with all these top programs they will make more money but how will their fans like being 7-5 most years?

No seriously as I wrote to you guys privately, its been like a cycle of grief finally coming to acceptance the new world of college sports and apparently the place we're gonna land in it. Sucks.

Just not gonna be as heads in deep with the hopes/desires of maybe once in a blue moon making it to the promised land with football, cuz it aint gonna happen. Having that conscious thought reality in mind will make things easier going forward.

If and until there's substantial NIL/Portal rules and changes to help keep our best home, not gonna invest as much with time, as much $ as well as emotion in it all, but will still enjoy the connections we've all made in the past moving ahead with family and friends here and beyond is the perspective I've come to.

Also Plan to hit up some more other local small college games so may miss a game or two, or three, but, yeah, too hard to give up our perennial underdog Orange. We’re gonna be a bit more of an underdog it appears, so yeah, it'll just make the future glories (like when we beat Clemson again at home!) all the better right?!
You had me worried! Glad you stepped back!

Followed up via email today with coaches that I met with at the spring game to enlist their support for our guest program in the fall. Coaches Treanor, McIntyre and Legette-Jack are all in on what we are doing and I copied coaches Autry and Gait who will certainly have some representation.

Would love to expand on this part of the project but need everyone’s help. If you haven’t made a pledge yet, just email or message me per the initial post in this thread. Won’t need payment until early summer.

This could be the NIL that changes a undergrad’s outlook on college sports at SU before the big dogs come knocking with tampering NIL offers when he blows up. Forms real connections with the fans and culture.

This is good stuff

This could be the NIL that changes a undergrad’s outlook on college sports at SU before the big dogs come knocking with tampering NIL offers when he blows up. Forms real connections with the fans and culture.

This is good stuff

100%

Hopefully more people jump on to help out this effort.

It brings such great program loyalty. The student athletes absolutely love meeting with the fans and it makes it very personal

This is good stuff
Great idea, but two of our guests last year portaled.

Great idea, but two of our guests last year portaled.
Girard and who? Girard’s situation is different than Jesse’s and Lamson’s

I believe Owens from the women‘s team transferred.
I think she was a grad transfer in and realized the extra season was not for her. Just quit the team. Do not believe she transferred.

Very nice young lady. It is a shame it didn't work out.

I don’t blame Girard, there was a coaching change and life had been pretty sweet for him with Boeheim

Let's keep all the portal talk and other discussion in the appropriate threads. Every one of our guests proved to be appreciative, committed and a delight to talk to and get to know a bit.

Factoring in projected payouts to two football players, 5 guests and merchandise start up and holding back a small nest egg to start 2024 we would currently be about $2200 away from what we would need to fully fund the program for this season assuming 100% compliance with pledges, If you haven't climbed aboard yet, now is the time. We have pledges from 42 donors this year including 5 first timers. We had 74 last year so 37 of our first year supporters are missing to date. Please share with fellow fans on and off the board and let's get this done!

We will make some "free money" with our leftover Koozie sales this year. Hopefully enough to support 1 or 2 extra tailgate guests.

These are very high quality stitched koozies. Officially licensed too!

I believe Owens from the women‘s team transferred.
Unfortunately, she never played a game for the Orange. She was very nice and we had a great chat with her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom