Syracuse administration needs to either get on board with the coaching staff | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse administration needs to either get on board with the coaching staff

Alsacs

Living Legend
Or we will become nothing more than check cashing tomato can for the powers in the ACC.

Reading Mr. Clark's unbias assessment its disappointing to know our administration can do better.

Nobody should expect Syracuse football to be the top of the spending in FBS football. However making sure our COL is atleast higher than all G5 schools should be minimum. It's an arms race out there and we have cashed checks now for 4 years and outside of the Ensley Center which was for the most part paid for thru donations we haven't invested much.

These students athletes today care about pomp and circumstance. We need to have a kitchen available for ALL sports athletes to have access for during the school year. These athletes need to get proper nutrition.

We need to update our infrastructure and not just be acceptable with the status quo . I am not saying spend money just to spend money. However we need to see some changes and while their was optimism when we got a new chancellor and AD. It hasn't materialized into much action.

This administration better work with Dino now because as he has shown he has left his last 2 jobs after 2 years.

We better show something as the guy gives off the vibe he knows how to get it done.

Before people say donate yourself I will say I give a donation within my means. I am no whale for the AD but I have given to the AD the last 5 years. Obviously I am the equivalent of a tick to their bottom dollar but after reading this Clark affair and the lack of momentum on the Dome project something has to be done.

Last edited:
Or we will become nothing more than check cashing tomato can for the powers in the ACC.

Reading Mr. Clark's unbias assessment its disappointing to know our administration can do better.

Nobody should expect Syracuse football to be the top of the spending in FBS football. However making sure our COL is atleast higher than all G5 schools should be minimum. It's an arms race out there and we have cashed checks now for 4 years and outside of the Ensley Center which was for the most part paid for thru donations we haven't invested much.

These students athletes today care about pomp and circumstance. We need to have a kitchen available for ALL sports athletes to have access for during the school year. These athletes need to get proper nutrition.

We need to update our infrastructure and not just be acceptable with the status quo . I am not saying spend money just to spend money. However we need to see some changes and while their was optimism when we got a new chancellor and AD. It hasn't materialized into much action.

This administration better work with Dino now because as he has shown he has left his last 2 jobs after 2 years.

We better show something as the guy gives off the vibe he knows how to get it done.

Before people say donate yourself I will say I give a donation within my means. I am no whale for the AD but I have given to the AD the last 5 years. Obviously I am the equivalent of a tick to their bottom dollar but after reading this Clark affair and the lack of momentum on the Dome project something has to be done.

Just to speak of the highlighted point and what I know about cost of attendance, it is set by the University and is on all statements having to do with the cost of any normal student attending Syracuse. If they raise that number, it could deter the average student from coming if it is too high. Not sure it has much to do with the athletic administration. I could be wrong though.

Just to speak of the highlighted point and what I know about cost of attendance, it is set by the University and is on all statements having to do with the cost of any normal student attending Syracuse. If they raise that number, it could deter the average student from coming if it is too high. Not sure it has much to do with the athletic administration. I could be wrong though.
Don't tell me it's costs more to go to Auburn or Tennessee than Syracuse for COL.

All the schools cook the books for COL to be whatever they want. We choose to pay less.

Regarding dorms.. didn't SU just recently build some new dorms? If so, why wasn't one of the new dorms dedicated to housing student athletes and the current athletics dorms cycled to the gen pop?

Cost of attendance.

Syracuse doesn't make theirs public but based on what Mr. Clark it's below some G5 schools.

2015-16 CBS Sports FBS college football cost of attendance database

I understand that. But it's done by the Universities themselves.

Look at the University of Cincinnati's website:

Tuition & Fees

An excerpt:

The cost of attending UC consists of direct and indirect costs. Direct costs on your semester bill are tuition (instructional, general, technology, campus life, and program fees), room and board (for students residing on campus), and health insurance (if minimum insurance coverage is not documented). Attending college also includes indirect costs. Items such as books and supplies, transportation and parking, personal expenses, and off-campus rent are part of your budget though they will not be billed by the university.

In addition to the direct fees detailed above, we recommend you budget approximately $1,500 for books and supplies, $500 to $725 for transportation, and between $3,800 and $5,000 for personal expenses per academic year.

The link you provided lists Cincinnati as the top CoA school in their league at $6,082. Full scholarships cover tuition and fees, room, board and course-related books. Therefore, if you extrapolate the $500-725 for transportation and the $3,800-$5,000 in personal expenses, plus 'supplies' apart from books, you can get to $6,082.

In contrast, here is SU's site:
http://financialaid.syr.edu/costofattendance/undergraduate/
Financial Aid | Cost of Attendance: Undergraduate

They list:
Books & Supplies $1,469
Transportation $668
Personal Expenses $1,030

Judging from that, I'd say Syracuse's CoA is roughly $2,000-$2,300 per kid.

I'm not saying it doesn't cost more - I'm just saying it's structured by the school and not by the athletic administration necessarily. Is that a conversation that the AD can have with admissions or whoever designs this structure? I'm sure they can. But that number is not just pulled out of thin air and at the discretion of the AD.

Don't tell me it's costs more to go to Auburn or Tennessee than Syracuse for COL.

All the schools cook the books for COL to be whatever they want. We choose to pay less.
That number is for more than sports. It is reported to the Feds, I believe, and affects student aid calculations campus/wide. Anyone know the specifics?

Regarding dorms.. didn't SU just recently build some new dorms? If so, why wasn't one of the new dorms dedicated to housing student athletes and the current athletics dorms cycled to the gen pop?

They didn't build them across from the Manley complex.

I understand that. But it's done by the Universities themselves.

Look at the University of Cincinnati's website:

Tuition & Fees

An excerpt:

The cost of attending UC consists of direct and indirect costs. Direct costs on your semester bill are tuition (instructional, general, technology, campus life, and program fees), room and board (for students residing on campus), and health insurance (if minimum insurance coverage is not documented). Attending college also includes indirect costs. Items such as books and supplies, transportation and parking, personal expenses, and off-campus rent are part of your budget though they will not be billed by the university.

In addition to the direct fees detailed above, we recommend you budget approximately $1,500 for books and supplies, $500 to $725 for transportation, and between $3,800 and $5,000 for personal expenses per academic year.

The link you provided lists Cincinnati as the top CoA school in their league at $6,082. Full scholarships cover tuition and fees, room, board and course-related books. Therefore, if you extrapolate the $500-725 for transportation and the $3,800-$5,000 in personal expenses, plus 'supplies' apart from books, you can get to $6,082.

In contrast, here is SU's site:
Financial Aid | Cost of Attendance: Undergraduate

They list:
Books & Supplies $1,469
Transportation $668
Personal Expenses $1,030

Judging from that, I'd say Syracuse's CoA is roughly $2,000-$2,300 per kid.

I'm not saying it doesn't cost more - I'm just saying it's structured by the school and not by the athletic administration necessarily. Is that a conversation that the AD can have with admissions or whoever designs this structure? I'm sure they can. But that number is not just pulled out of thin air and at the discretion of the AD.
Based on the numbers you gave from SU
1500+700+1000= 3200

That is the minimum SU's COA should be for all these athletes.

I highly doubt SU gives out that much and the fact SU is one the least transparent schools on what they give out doesn't give me confidence in the adminstration doing right by these athletes.

I was a fan of Syverud but the more time passes by he isn't showing anything to feel he is anything but a penny pincher correcting Cantor's drunk sailor spending.

Based on the numbers you gave from SU
1500+700+1000= 3200

That is the minimum SU's COA should be for all these athletes.

I highly doubt SU gives out that much and the fact SU is one the least transparent schools on what they give out doesn't give me confidence in the adminstration doing right by these athletes.

I was a fan of Syverud but the more time passes by he isn't showing anything to feel he is anything but a penny pincher correcting Cantor's drunk sailor spending.

The $1,500 is books + supplies. Books are the majority of that number and cannot be included in the cost of attendance. I am pretty confident that the number is as high as the University allows it to be at this time.

The $1,500 is books + supplies. Books are the majority of that number and cannot be included in the cost of attendance. I am pretty confident that the number is as high as the University allows it to be at this time.
It shouldn't be 2200 - 3000 dollars at Syracuse and more expensive at other ACC schools.

This is the way the SU administration chooses to cook the books. These athletes could get 5000 dollars per semester easily no problem.
Rutgers is 4900 dollars per semester.

It shouldn't be 2200 - 3000 dollars at Syracuse and more expensive at other ACC schools.

This is the way the SU administration chooses to cook the books. These athletes could get 5000 dollars per semester easily no problem.

I'm not saying you're wrong in anything you've said. I'm just saying it's a University administration choice. Not an Athletic Department structure.

There's no comparison in the cost of living between New Brunswick, NJ and Syracuse, NY. With 100 being the national average cost of living - New Brunswick, NJ is ranked 118 and Syracuse, NY is 83. I imagine the universities base it on a of cost of living index. I don't know but I would hope that common sense wise the NCAA should be monitoring it and using some type of cost of living index so it's not abused or giving unfair advantages. At least that is what I'd hope and expect

A lot of kids have moved off campus now. Shy will be moving to a new apartment built just off campus. Most of the juniors and seniors are doing it. They will get their money from their scholarship in their checks because they left campus instead of it paying for dorms. This should free up the nicer apartments that were given to the juniors and seniors and they should be able to get the younger kids out of the smaller brick dorms.

There's no comparison in the cost of living between New Brunswick, NJ and Syracuse, NY. With 100 being the national average cost of living - New Brunswick, NJ is ranked 118 and Syracuse, NY is 83. I imagine the universities base it on a of cost of living index. I don't know but I would hope that common sense wise the NCAA should be monitoring it and using some type of cost of living index so it's not abused or giving unfair advantages. At least that is what I'd hope and expect

If it's not based on a cost of living index, it should be. Should be a sliding scale so that you effectively get the same amount regardless of what school you attend. Anything less is moronic IMO and just opens the door for this to be an additional item used in the arms race. And that shouldn't be the point of it. Students should not be making a decision on which school to attend because one offers a more generous COA stipend.

I think the powers that be are fine collecting millions of dollars every year and don't really care how well the teams perform.

I don't think that funding, or a failure to invest in revenue sports, is what was keeping the doctor from clearing Clark. That's just silly.

I don't think that funding, or a failure to invest in revenue sports, is what was keeping the doctor from clearing Clark. That's just silly.
You are completing missing the point of my post if that was the main takeaway you took from it.

You are completing missing the point of my post if that was the main takeaway you took from it.

I'm sorry if I offended you, and I get your point. However, you specifically cited that as evidence for your point, and it's silly and irrelevant.

ummm so based on what reported on the radio today, the kid had been referred to a hematologist that disagreed with some doctors from Alabama. one of the big sources of anger on this board was that some "family practitioner" was making a decision outside of his jurisdiction. guess what the family is leaking the information, maybe they are more worried about the NFL than the kid is.

I'm sorry if I offended you, and I get your point. However, you specifically cited that as evidence for your point, and it's silly and irrelevant.
Not offended honestly was just correcting the record.
My post was mainly frustration at the status quo out of the leaders on the Hill.

We need some changes implemented to fix all of different issues.

ummm so based on what reported on the radio today, the kid had been referred to a hematologist that disagreed with some doctors from Alabama. one of the big sources of anger on this board was that some "family practitioner" was making a decision outside of his jurisdiction. guess what the family is leaking the information, maybe they are more worried about the NFL than the kid is.
You are aware that the "family" that is "leaking" the info is a member of this board...and posts all the time...

I can assure you that the ONLY thing that they are worried about is Steven's welfare. As far as I am concerned, as a father of 3 myself, nothing else matters.

Not offended honestly was just correcting the record.
My post was mainly frustration at the status quo out of the leaders on the Hill.

We need some changes implemented to fix all of different issues.
I can definitely agree with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom