Syracuse Area | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Area

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
What are the things that you think are mostly clearly/closely associated with the Syracuse area?

Those that are Syracuse Born and Bred:
- Syracuse University
- Heid's
- the French Fort
- Onondaga Lake
- that... "It's Happening Now at PennCan Mall"
- Salty Sam

Outsiders
- The Dome (Carrier/JMA or otherwise)
- Snow
- Syracuse University
- Jim Boeheim

Last edited:
What are the things that you think are mostly clearly/closely associated with the Syracuse area?

Those that are Syracuse Born and Bred:
- Syracuse University
- Heid's
- the French Fort
- Onondaga Lake
- that... "It's Happening Now at PennCan Mall"
- Salty Sam

Outsiders
- The Dome (Carrier/JMA or otherwise)
- Snow
- Syracuse University
- Jim Boeheim
i think Syracuse is most associated with

Snow
JMA Wireless Dome
the Syracuse Univerisity men’s basketball program
Syracuse University football program
Syracuse lacrosse
Syracuse University
Dinosaur BBQ
Erie Canal
Heids (and Hoffman hotdogs and coneys)
Salt Potatoes
NYS Fair
Gianelli sausage
Onondaga Lake and Onondaga Lake Park
Syracuse Mets (Chiefs)

Okay, so I live in Canada.

At work all I ever do when we talk about Syracuse is talk about the "shot clock" in Armory Square. I tend to exaggerate how magnificent it is.

I can talk about the origins of this thing for an hour I've researched it so much.

Whenever ANYONE is driving through New York for any reason to go somewhere else in the United States I try to get them to go. I heavily encourage it as a tremendous experience as a solo traveler, or for your family.

Two people have taken me up on the offer. Some people Google it and laugh as they're aware that I exaggerate things. Two actually took the time to go see it though.

The first found it funny. They weren't super-happy about visiting, but liked Armory Square, and ate at the Dinosaur BBQ - and we REALLY laugh about it all now. Especially the next part...

The second dude is in a two year long war with me over the "shot clock" and loses his mind whenever I tell someone else to go see it. I mean LOSES his mind. It's not my fault you didn't Google it!!!!

It's the screensaver on my work laptop. lol

348s.jpg

This will date when I lived in Syracuse:

Switz's
Carousel Mall
The MOST
Those cool buildings that are both old and futuristic looking at the same time (I don't know anything about architecture, I know the style has a name, whatever, fight me)
Sports Star 2000
The water treatment plant, which #truelotharios knew was the place to drive by on your date if you needed to air one out
Spaghetti the Warehouse
Lights on the Lake
Lookers (never went there, but heard many a legend)

View attachment 228540View attachment 228539This will date when I lived in Syracuse:

Switz's
Carousel Mall
The MOST
Those cool buildings that are both old and futuristic looking at the same time (I don't know anything about architecture, I know the style has a name, whatever, fight me)
Sports Star 2000
The water treatment plant, which #truelotharios knew was the place to drive by on your date if you needed to air one out
Spaghetti the Warehouse
Lights on the Lake

Wow, how could I have forgotten Switz's?? Spent many a day there back in the toy section growing up, but probably even more so at Halloween trying to find just the right costume!! And, as long as we're in N. Syracuse, how about Sweetheart Corner?

Sweetheart Corner Pic.jpg

And the competition…… Williams.

image0.jpeg

Last edited:
Switz's was the Amazon of our day. William's had the best selection of Asian food of any store in the area.

Don't forget Service Merchandise.

The lakes of Oneida and Green. One for fishing/boating the other people looking/swimming.

Armory Squate
Green Lakes
Tipperary Hill
Colemans
Don't forget the street light in Tipp Hill. A couple things for me are Dunk and O'Bright St Patrick's Day sale, Tully's and Brooklyn Pickle. Also "Ya Gotta Regatta".

Attachments

• 14505490-large.jpg
    14505490-large.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
i think Syracuse is most associated with

Snow
JMA Wireless Dome
the Syracuse Univerisity men’s basketball program
Syracuse University football program
Syracuse lacrosse
Syracuse University
Dinosaur BBQ
Erie Canal
Heids (and Hoffman hotdogs and coneys)
Salt Potatoes
NYS Fair
Gianelli sausage
Onondaga Lake and Onondaga Lake Park
Syracuse Mets (Chiefs)
Talking about the Fair, I think the butter statue needs a separate mention.

Pastabilities brought in the DD&D crowd so prob merits a mention
You could probably do a good top ten just focusing on food destinations in CNY...

Edit: it should mention fried haddock, pizzas sliced Twin Trees style, spicy tomato oil, stretchy bread and Columbus Bakery bread.

Last edited:
Carrol's - Was this one Erie Blvd.? I think there was one in N. Syracuse and one in Erie Blvd., but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.

0515carrols-2jpg-ac25d3f0d1a01a65_large.jpg

This will date when I lived in Syracuse:

Switz's
Carousel Mall
The MOST
Sports Star 2000
Spaghetti the Warehouse
Lights on the Lake
th

Carrol's - Was this one Erie Blvd.? I think there was one in N. Syracuse and one in Erie Blvd., but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.

0515carrols-2jpg-ac25d3f0d1a01a65_large.jpg
I can't tell from this picture but if I had to guess, I would think this one was in Mattydate. Doesn't look like Thompson Road to me.

Some of the Burger King restaurants in CNY were formerly Carrol's locations.

The last one was on Thompson Road, just down the road from Carrier.

More history from Herb Slotnick here.

I can't tell from this picture but if I had to guess, I would think this one was in Mattydate. Doesn't look like Thompson Road to me.

Some of the Burger King restaurants in CNY were formerly Carrol's locations.

The last one was on Thompson Road, just down the road from Carrier.

More history from Herb Slotnick here.

In Albany, we had Carrol's and Service Merchandise also, which was mentioned previously. And as you said, a lot of Carrol's turned into Burger Kings.

As a kid, I loved Service Merchandise. I thought it was the coolest thing waiting for the stuff to come down the conveyor. Only thing that was better was when we used to go down to the city and would have lunch at the automat. That was the bee's knees. LOL!!!