Syracuse.com is a pay site now? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse.com is a pay site now?

i signed up. living out of state this the best source for whats happening in cny and environs. you need to think for yourself regarding the material presented.

I don’t get how they get away with keeping game time info, serious weather info or anything of that nature as a pay for content. If you pay for the internet it should be free

I get the print edition three days a week.

Digital is included.

If they were only going to deliver 3 papers a week, one of them has to be Monday. When they didn't do that, they lost most of their subscription base. I subscribed for years, despite very spotty service. Once they cut it to 3 days, and you don't have a morning paper to start the week, what's the point?

If they were only going to deliver 3 papers a week, one of them has to be Monday. When they didn't do that, they lost most of their subscription base. I subscribed for years, despite very spotty service. Once they cut it to 3 days, and you don't have a morning paper to start the week, what's the point?

Isn't Sunday considered the paper to start the week? What's the big deal about Monday except I guess during NFL season? Here in KC, they have an option that for only Wed - Sunday delivery because the Monday and Tuesday editions were thin after the big Sunday edition.

Isn't Sunday considered the paper to start the week? What's the big deal about Monday except I guess during NFL season? Here in KC, they have an option that for only Wed - Sunday delivery because the Monday and Tuesday editions were thin after the big Sunday edition.

Yeah, Monday's always been the thinnest paper; if there's any day to skip, that's the one.

And also, the Kansas City paper charges $12.99 per month for digital access. That's just one comparison point that was easy for me to find.

Yeah, you're exactly right. And I don't mean to be dickish or hyper-critical toward the P-S. It makes me sad, but I just can't rationalize spending for writing that I constantly criticize. I understand their constraints (though these shouldn't fully excuse the product), but in the end they just don't put out good work and it'd be crazy to expect it to get anything other than worse.
Maybe you’re criticisms are unfounded and unfair. Mike Waters and Donna Ditota are highly respected among the national college sports media. Talk to anybody in the college sports media world and they’ll tell you that. Football coverage may be another story but I can’t speak to that.

They're pricing it like a physical paper instead of pricing it for the internet market (cost structure?). But I have to say, most of my gripes have been with the editors. I think the staff does a good job overall. I think Waters is a good SU beat reporter. I like Donna's human interest stories. And Chris Carlson does an excellent job. But they have to be realistic about price.
They should consider doing a SU sports section only digital subscription for out of towners that is less expensive. I read some of the local news to keep up with what’s going on in the 315 (since I grew up there), but it isn’t a must-have like the SU sports coverage.

syracuse.com is so popular (i believe 1 of the most popular per capita in the country) because so many out of towners read it. I can tell you so many family/friends who moved out of syracuse 10-15-20 years ago read syracuse.com more often than their local newspaper.

charging them $20 is a punch to their gut and "they gone"

They should consider doing a SU sports section only digital subscription for out of towners that is less expensive. I read some of the local news to keep up with what’s going on in the 315 (since I grew up there), but it isn’t a must-have like the SU sports coverage.

I'd totally be on board with that. Kansas City Star started an online sports pass in August for $2.50 per month. Would love something similar for Syracuse

I'd totally be on board with that. Kansas City Star started an online sports pass in August for $2.50 per month. Would love something similar for Syracuse

I believe Charlotte sports is $35 per year.

Well Facebook made $3 billion last quarter on display ads. Obviously data is how that happens, but they do make a gargantuan amount of money from ads.
The amount of money that Facebook and Google make on digital advertising is nearly equal to the amount of ad revenue lost by local news print organizations over the past 15-20 years. Its why local news organizations are in crisis.

That would be a good idea for the PS. That’s the cost of a cup of coffee. I’d easily pay that or something around there. Lots of out of town Cuse fans read the PS online to get their fix of SU sports coverage.

Before there was an internet, you had to actually BUY a newspaper every day. Either you got home delivery, or you hit up a newsstand.

Nothing was ever free.
Plus, subscription costs were probably a bit lower because they were able to make so much money from ad revenue. Now much of that ad revenue goes to Facebook, Google and a few other internet giants, who are simply content platforms, not content creators.

I guess I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue. Paying $19.99 to access Syracuse.com is crazy man!

Ladies and gents, may I suggest the Daily Orange?

At times beats syracuse.com on stories, has journos talented enough that they will never work for syracuse.com, and it’s free.
Oh come on. The Daily Orange kids do a nice job with the student paper and I enjoy the SU sports coverage. But student journalists (whose writing skills are often questionable) can’t hold a candle to professionals journalists with decades of experience. That’s an absurd comparison.

Oh come on. The Daily Orange kids do a nice job with the student paper and I enjoy the SU sports coverage. But student journalists (whose writing skills are often questionable) can’t hold a candle to professionals journalists with decades of experience. That’s an absurd comparison.

I was referring to the sports coverage, and specifically SU sports coverage, since this is an SU sports message board. Students whose "writing skills are questionable" generally are not admitted to Newhouse, which is the source of most of the DO staff.

I've also been both a "Daily Orange kid" and a professional journalist with decades of experience. So I may have some insight into the subject. But then again, what the heck do I know? I'll give your view on the subject all the weight that it's worth.

Been a few days now. Since this news broke I’ve talked to maybe 20 people. Not one is going to pay $19.99 per month.

Yeah, Monday's always been the thinnest paper; if there's any day to skip, that's the one.

To me, Monday is the start of the work week and I want to know what's in the news when I hit my desk.

syracuse.com is so popular (i believe 1 of the most popular per capita in the country) because so many out of towners read it. I can tell you so many family/friends who moved out of syracuse 10-15-20 years ago read syracuse.com more often than their local newspaper.

charging them $20 is a punch to their gut and "they gone"

What a terrible decision! You start small and build your way up. First, you get people used to the idea of paying a little. Syracuse.com does not deliver the same value content as HBO - which also costs $20/month. Hell, Netflix is only $11.99/month.

What in the world were they thinking? Now, they're going to lose advertising dollars, too, because of a precipitous loss of readership. Nobody is going to sign up for this.

I can't see paying for any of this.

Too bad - I'm gonna miss their coverage of SU Sports (seriously), but I think they still owe me money for making me read Bud Poliquin articles for the last 30 years.

the deal is you find 2-3 people and split the cost. much like leave the paper in the office break room and people read it.

cause if no one buys the paper or pays for digital it goes away and then you get no local paper at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom