Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits

I was in Scottsdale, AZ this past week when I came across the Fiesta Bowl Hall of Fame. I looked in the window - it was after the Hall had closed for the day.

I saw a display of helmets of the teams that have participated in the Fiesta Bowl and its sister bowl, which has gone by a number of names including the Insight.Com Bowl.

Anyway, I saw a brand that recognized immediately.

Fiesta Bowl Hall of Fame.jpg

The Orange helmet stands out because of its unique look - its sheer simplicity.

That look needs to be returned to the Program.

I was in Scottsdale, AZ this past week when I came across the Fiesta Bowl Hall of Fame. I looked in the window - it was after the Hall had closed for the day.

I saw a display of helmets of the teams that have participated in the Fiesta Bowl and its sister bowl, which has gone by a number of names including the Insight.Com Bowl.

Anyway, I saw a brand that recognized immediately.

View attachment 124530

The Orange helmet stands out because of its unique look - its sheer simplicity.

That look needs to be returned to the Program.

Only thing that really needs to be returned to the program is more wins and a few more fans, everything else is a bunch of nonsense. People need to get over the uniform nonsense. We aren't Penn St, Michigan, Alabama, etc or we would have never changed our uniforms in the 1st place.

Only thing that really needs to be returned to the program is more wins and a few more fans, everything else is a bunch of nonsense. People need to get over the uniform nonsense. We aren't Penn St, Michigan, Alabama, etc or we would have never changed our uniforms in the 1st place.

I know someone was complaining on another thread about how ugly our uniforms looked while beating Clemson? We had on orange jerseys and blue helmets! THE HORROR!

I did not care what helmets we were wearing. No one I knew seemed to notice as my phone was exploding with congratulations about the victory from my friends who follow other teams and college football in general. All they knew was that Syracuse beat the number 2 team in a stunning upset. No one said hey what was up with the uniforms?

Winning cures all!

Actually, the two go hand in hand - branding and winning/success.

As far as what Syracuse University Football is or is not, my suggestion is that you to read the text, "Psycho-Cybernetics"

I'll give you the abridged version - "if you think you stink, you stink."

I happen to feel that Syracuse University Football is a football tradition that is as rich as the programs your post references.

It's about time that the Administration - and many of the fans - recognized that, and treated the Program accordingly.

We can begin the process by reinstating the brand.

Last edited:
Sorry.

Disagree.

Ignoring a problem does not solve the problem.
But reviving a thread about how bad the problem is only perpetuates the problem according to your Psycho-Cybernetics post above.

Nah, OrangePa is right on this.

We don’t have uniforms so much as weekly clown costumes.

They look like they were made in the basement of some inner-city mom after someone stole her son’s stuff.

I think maybe we got into the Big Dance this year because of the SU basketball brand. It counts for something. If we somehow reestablish it in football that would be terrific. Too many times when there's a televised game our historic highlights are in B&W (Brown, Davis, Little). And while I revere those guys, many don't know who they are.
It's been a lonely walk in the woods for 15+ years now, but I'm still psyched. Especially with Babers in charge and the talent level we're evincing.

Sorry.

Disagree.

Ignoring a problem does not solve the problem.
The original post concerns recruits' perception of brand. I don't think the uniforms matter as much to recruits as they do to old-timer fans. Maybe a little projection of our point of view onto that of the kids.

IMO it is all about winning, period, end of story, where the kids are concerned.

If Penn State's brand was not irremediably tarnished by what was done at that damnable hellhole, then I don't think uniforms matter for a fart in a gale.

I think maybe we got into the Big Dance this year because of the SU basketball brand. It counts for something.
I think brand may have helped, and the numbers may have been just good enough, but does anyone else feel like there is a “make up call” vibe to it too? Three bubble teams don’t get in are coincidentally also FBI probe teams. Miami, ULou, UNC among others got much less punishment for far greater crimes and at this point, that includes PSU. I can’t help but wonder if there’s an unspoken apology in our inclusion. If so, shove it NCAA, we still feel we deserve to dance, but this crazy organization is just foolish enough to do something dumb like that and expect some form of gratitude for it.

Nope -- don't think there is a make up call in our inclusion in play-in game, nor do I think NCAA has regrets for tagging us after the Fab Melo incident.

We earned the play-in, just barely, but earned it with strength of early schedule, wins versus teams that are in, including road wins, and no real bad losses. Not worried about our basketball brand -- we have the Dome, top 2 or 3 in attendance, recent FF, top 20 team in the making for next season.

As for brand in football, there is a long way to go to build that back. Need more than hoping for 6 wins and a lightly attended bowl. Have to crush some rivals and be relevant in November -- in back to back years. Roster is getting better, but W/L is what matters.

Nah, OrangePa is right on this.

We don’t have uniforms so much as weekly clown costumes.

They look like they were made in the basement of some inner-city mom after someone stole her son’s stuff.
Wow.

Way to keep an arrow in your quiver there dude.

Once upon a time, Syracuse had the best uniforms in conference, instead of the worst. It's not our imagination, or because we're old farts resistant to change.

Syracuse | Style Points

I like the Mcnabb era Uni's. 2010-2012 were updated awesome. Seriously. Fix this. Uniform threads are stupid. Unless your uniforms went from best to worse.

Last edited:
Honestly can't imagine too many P5 schools have been consistently as bad as us since the turn of the century.

I-A Winning Percentage 2000-2017

We're #96 in the country. I saw Kentucky, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Kansas and Duke behind us.

Those schools play pretty good basketball.

Once upon a time, Syracuse had the best uniforms in conference, instead of the worst. It's not our imagination, or because we're old farts resistant to change.

Syracuse | Style Points

I like the Mcnabb era Uni's. 2010-2012 were updated awesome. Seriously. Fix this. Uniform threads are stupid. Unless your uniforms went from best to worse.

Excellent post!

This comment stood out to me, in the 1st spring scrimmage article. I believe it's from a non-syracuse fan.

• 3 days ago
Hope you guys have a great year. But, please ditch the uniforms...It's called tradition...You know like penn state, Michigan etc...For the love of god...those ugly uniforms have to go, get some self respect...

I-A Winning Percentage 2000-2017

We're #96 in the country. I saw Kentucky, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Kansas and Duke behind us.

Those schools play pretty good basketball.

Glad we're not Kansas fans. It's been brutal for them since they went 8-5 in 2009. They've gone 20-88 since then. The last 3 years for them have been an absolutely abysmal 3-33.

The crazier thing is the amount they've invested to suck so bad over this time period.

They've paid out over 14 million dollars in buyouts for 3 coaches to not coach there anymore (Mangino, Gill, Weis) and the current staff is making 4.6 million per year. Add on top of that the annual salaries for the 3 coaches they fired while they were still coaching and all of their staffs. They have paid their coaching staffs approximately 50 million dollars for a total of 20 wins.

Historically they haven't had much to root for either. 582–631–58 overall record.

Glad we're not Kansas fans. It's been brutal for them since they went 8-5 in 2009. They've gone 20-88 since then. The last 3 years for them have been an absolutely abysmal 3-33.

The crazier thing is the amount they've invested to suck so bad over this time period.

They've paid out over 14 million dollars in buyouts for 3 coaches to not coach there anymore (Mangino, Gill, Weis) and the current staff is making 4.6 million per year. Add on top of that the annual salaries for the 3 coaches they fired while they were still coaching and all of their staffs. They have paid their coaching staffs approximately 50 million dollars for a total of 20 wins.

Historically they haven't had much to root for either. 582–631–58 overall record.

Plus they are doing this with their facilities

KU Athletics renderings show major changes to football stadium as part of $350M plan

Yeah, its crazy how much money that school seems to have to burn. Apparently they have some big donors from what I've read.

They definitely do have the donors. I live in Kansas so keep up with them very easily. Heck they built a $20 million facility to basically house the rules of basketball and also has a few eating places.

They definitely do have the donors. I live in Kansas so keep up with them very easily. Heck they built a $20 million facility to basically house the rules of basketball and also has a few eating places.

Wish we had more big donors. Maybe if I win the lottery someday... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom