Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits

Our #50 ranked class is not going to compete for an ACC championship. We now have good coaching but so does our competition. We need to haul in top 20 recruiting classes. Open the purse or throw in the towel.

Agree - but not that high. We’ll get it done with classes in the 30-40 range, get quality transfers, and get solid QB play. To compete nationally would be the step after that (top 20 classes - but probly really need top 10). Open question as to whether that’s possible.

McNabb hasn’t been good in 10 years,

Freeney 5.

The rest don’t register.

What will register and what the ‘brand’ needs to be is...dropping big scores week in and week out.

Orange is the new fast.

Let’s start by scoring 350pts next year (I’m taking the over) and make a bowl. Then drop a double nickel for the win there.

Get people taking about the Orange as a rising from the ashes program, then we can point to all the guys P routinely sent to the NFL.

The Orange can be an 8-10 Win team, year in and year out again.

It all starts on Offense...and the pieces are getting there.

To be fair - we already get mentioned as “being on track” or “up and coming”... more wins would cement that 100%

I agree with a lot of what you said, however I would argue your NFL talent statement was off base. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith were playing with McNabb, Harrison, Kevin Johnson, Freeney, Mungro, Darius, Tebuky Jones, Konrad, etc. we have had plenty of pro players that these kids grew up with, the problem is we haven’t had many college players of note.
I see what your saying. But with the exception of McNabb no 18 year old recruit today outside of Onondaga County has a clue who those Syracuse players are. I mean its just a reality. A few might know Freeney...maybe. But KJ, Dariuos, Tebucky, Konrad, even Harrison as he has been gone for a while...no recruit still in high school knows they went to Syracuse. Those aren't (and weren't) house hold names from their childhood who they saw on ESPN or ABC/CBS big game of the week when they were growing up. They know the kids for Bama, Ohio St, Michigan, LSU...etc. It's not a knock on any of those players or the school, it's just reality.

It sounds like a garbage study (I do this for a living), but of course there are realities to it. Cuse hasn't won in forever, it's cold here, it's far from lots of things, investment isn't the greatest, facilities are behind, etc etc etc.

But what else can you do aside from trying to be positive and make it better?
aside from the weather,we have never invested in the program when we were good, and ahead of the curve. we only invest after the fact, if we do at all. we are always behind the 8 ball--and that is su's fault. as far as i am concerned they exploit the fans, think small time and will remain small time. how is our 6y/o discussion on the dome renovation going???

Both of these stories, polls, whatever you want to call them are ridiculously stupid. How much data can you get from 200 recruits that are all probably top players and probably all knew where they were going anyway. There is no factual data in there whatsoever, IMO.
The other story is even worse. I don’t even know how they got their data since I stopped reading after I saw where certain cities were ranked. In what universe is Princeton, NJ that high on the list? Sure it’s a nice little town and a premier university but a football town? Hardly. The second was Missoula, MT where I lived almost half of my life. How does a city of 80k people who live, breathe and die Grizzly football land at #100 for small cities? Washington-Grizzly stadium, and its 26k seats, is Montana’s 6th largest city on game day Saturday. They have led the FCS in attendance in 8 of the last ten years. It’s a small stadium comparatively but it is beautiful with good sight lines everywhere, deafeningly loud and it’s not uncommon to see it on lists of must visit CFB stadiums. Hell, a magazine ABOUT stadiums listed it as the #7 CFB stadium in the country! Wa-Griz ranked among best stadium experiences in nation
(Sorry about my Grizzly diatribe as I realize this is a Syracuse forum but that made no sense to me).
So yes, both of these stories are completely bogus. The only downside is having a 16-17 y.o. kid find an article like that and actually believing it. And that’s all that matters.

Syracuse.com again today slamming football that's 3 times in a couple weeks. Getting kind of ridiculous now.
Totally agree and maybe Nate "the Weasel " Mink should head back to State College where he belongs. The dude is super negative about the Orange program and even if he is correct...enough is enough.

guys, the team that has won 5 national titles in the last 9 years is 19th in this poll. it's a dipsh** poll, plain and simple. Perfect fodder for the dipsh** crew over at the PS

They also have someone who is wildly considered one of the top 3 college coaches of all time, in his absolute prime. Not sure how they don’t have the best brand out there today.

aside from the weather,we have never invested in the program when we were good, and ahead of the curve. we only invest after the fact, if we do at all. we are always behind the 8 ball--and that is su's fault. as far as i am concerned they exploit the fans, think small time and will remain small time. how is our 6y/o discussion on the dome renovation going???

I think there were two times when you could say that the Program was acting ahead of the curve.

The first time in 1962 when Syracuse University constructed an indoor football practice facility - George L. Manley Field House. It was truly ahead of its time.

And, I think the second time was in 1980 when the University completed and opened the Carrier Dome. It revived the program and was a unique solution to the NE weather issue that has dogged a number of programs.

After that?

We have more or less been behind even middle of the road programs.

Come on, the cowardly way out is to slam the local press.

They're not in place to promote the program, SU pays people to do that.

The real answer is to get your program better. Full stop.
I'm saying three of these articles in a short span is overkill and just fodder for negative recruiting. Ill stand by that.

Come on, the cowardly way out is to slam the local press.

They're not in place to promote the program, SU pays people to do that.

The real answer is to get your program better. Full stop.

I agree.

The University has, in fact, damaged the Syracuse University Football Brand.

The elimination of "Orangemen." The elimination of other traditions such as the Saltine Warrior Fight Song or the name "Bill Orange" etc. (Obviously, the elimination of the Saltine Warrior mascot is part of it, but at this point there is nothing to discuss - that part of the tradition is over)

And, of course, the elimination of the classic uniform.

The use of multiple uniforms prevents anyone from identifying the Program on a regional or national scale.

I am repeating myself, I know.

But a return to the classic Coach Mac look - including the elimination of the "S" on the helmets - would be a very good step in restoring the Football Brand.

Do it!

Last edited:
the only way the university will take action is for people to stop going to the games, plain and simple. that happened when they were more or less forced to build a new stadium(dome). also helped along by the fire dept restricting attendance.
su is only reactive not proactive. they have,as orangepa says disgarded almost every tradition we had, and now has a flavor of the week uniform.

The actual pic six article wasn't that bad. They clearly state that the margins between power 5 schools can be razor thin.

Clemson game may have made some recruits take notice, but there needs to be more. How often is Cuse mentioned on college game day? Until there is more national success, the rank will stay low, but it doesn't matter.

When Devito committed, his friends didn't understand why he wanted to play for a team that "always loses". He talked to many staffs, and saw the potential here. The targets are what matter.

Look at BC. NFL defensive player of the year, and a recent NFL MVP, and they are ranked lower. Kids want to play for a team that wins, or a coach they really believe in, on the biggest national stage. I think more wins are coming, so I'm not worried. A new dome, that maybe gets a college game day show? More receivers/qb's with huge yards? They'll notice.

I agree.

The elimination of "Orangemen." The elimination of other traditions such as the Saltine Warrior Fight Song or the name "Bill Orange" etc. (Obviously, the elimination of the Saltine Warrior mascot is part of it, but at this point there is nothing to discuss - that part of the tradition is over)

The use of multiple uniforms prevents anyone from identifying the Program on a regional or national scale.

But a return to the classic Coach Mac look - including the elimination of the "S" on the helmets - would be a very good step in restoring the Football Brand.

Do it!
I don't know about our Brand, but we have a branding issue and I'm kinda tired of it. In the past 15 years(roughly)...

Orangmen to Orange
Big East to ACC
Numerous logo modifications including the failed SJ logo
Orange/Gray/Blue/White uniforms
Grob/Marrone/Shafer/Babers - this goes under offensive identity/Brand but still applies IMO and hurts recruiting since it seems we have the wrong type of players for each incoming system which bogs down the systems and makes kids have little faith.

And don't forget:

We compete every year for the Golden Snowball and are one of the top 5 least sunniest cities in the country.

I don't know about our Brand, but we have a branding issue and I'm kinda tired of it. In the past 15 years(roughly)...

Orangmen to Orange
Big East to ACC
Numerous logo modifications including the failed SJ logo
Orange/Gray/Blue/White uniforms
Grob/Marrone/Shafer/Babers - this goes under offensive identity/Brand but still applies IMO and hurts recruiting since it seems we have the wrong type of players for each incoming system which bogs down the systems and makes kids have little faith.

And don't forget:

We compete every year for the Golden Snowball and are one of the top 5 least sunniest cities in the country.

The weather has an effect, I'm sure.

But Michigan, Michigan State, ND, Wisconsin, Penn State and other big time programs have to deal with cloudy, rainy and snowy weather.

We have a Dome - as do a number of NFL teams - so we can overcome the weather.

Every 3 years they spend time and resources on some small stupid branding type adjustment in hopes that this will be the magical elixir to put our program on the map. Never works. Its always focused on the wrong things.

So much waste just to confuse the issue.

"Orange is the new fast". Like it...but we dont live it. We are not playing "greatest" show on turf-style football, taking advantage of our Dome, prepared to win or lose games 45-41. The tagline doesnt make any sense.

We just spend our efforts on the wrong things.

I’m gonna go ahead and say that I think it’s at least in the upswing. Tag lines such as Orange Is The New Fast, #BEL18VE whether you think appropriate or not are at least out there. That’s not normal in recent history, at least not that I can remember. The hype and highlight videos being made the last two years are on another level. The graphics on social media regarding signees, players of the week, etc are also like nothing we’ve ever seen.
Say it’s not great, but it’s better than the past. Upswing.

I'm surprised that Hamilton (Colgate) isn't ranked better than 47th. I have a camp there and take the kids sometimes. It's quite an experience. Can't fathom that there is a dozen small cities with a better ranking.

can we nuke this thread, not a good look. Some good points in conversation for sure, but knowing recruits and parents look here why contribute to the uphill battle faced here. Just my .02$

Every 3 years they spend time and resources on some small stupid branding type adjustment in hopes that this will be the magical elixir to put our program on the map. Never works. Its always focused on the wrong things.

"Orange is the new fast". Like it...but we dont live it. We are not playing "greatest" show on turf-style football, taking advantage of our Dome, prepared to win or lose games 45-41. The tagline doesnt make any sense.

millenials watching a game in a few years,will not be able to identify su by the uniforms. i hope they donate though, if they know who we are.:)

I know it's taking up so much time typing #OITNF

I agree.

Do it!

But, but, but...the players and recruits like the uniforms! People on here say so! It’s so cool and trendy to wear the wrong colors and different uniforms every week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom