Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football among the worst brands, according to recruits

Haven't read a Syr.com article in a few years. Those guys are clowns and I don't care what anyone else thinks about them.

Being in the Brand business, 1) I would not give much of a look at all at this study, and 2) if your immediate answer to fixing the Brand being spend significant nine figures to fix the Dome, not sure you can fully appreciate the realities of Brand management. Respectfully said.
I work in market research, and I do not put any stock in this study.

Two Syracuse.com articles in a week slamming our football program and community from our friends at Syracuse.com. No way in earth I believe that we are 61st out of 65 in the eyes of recruits. Another one of those subjective articles that could be spun many ways. I wish I had a subscription so I could cancel it.
By all means take something personally that isn't personal.

Just dont buy it . The football cities report had too many holes in it to even mention it. The recruiting article is out of wack because we were one of only a small number of teams that did not go to a bowl so if we went 8-4 this year it would change dramatically in just a few months. Stupid

By all means take something personally that isn't personal.
It was tongue in cheek, still think these reports from syr.com are useless.

The study is useless and means nothing.

I've been on lots of the Advance Publications websites lately (grad transfer stuff), and they all publish stuff like this. It's an editorial choice that comes from higher up, not some evil plot by a couple of beat writers.

I've been on lots of the Advance Publications websites lately (grad transfer stuff), and they all publish stuff like this. It's an editorial choice that comes from higher up, not some evil plot by a couple of beat writers.
I dont doubt that, but I know the casual fan, they read this stuff and take it as gospel and I here it regurgitated when we talk about SU football. Once again its not the people on this board most of whom will follow the program through thick and thin.

61st or 161st- makes little to no difference if we suck on the field.
Our 61st rated, ill-branded program received all the noteriety in the world when we, wait for it...won a big game vs Clemson.
We pull off a few more pelts next coupla years, start competing for ACC titles, and watch how fast our “brand” perception changes.
As a fellow alum put it, plain and simple: “Just WIN baby”!!

Perception is reality.

We've got the paper with the largest circulation and exposure, for all intents the voice of this city, putting out story after story (this is not the first article the PS has put out that delivers this same message), and you guys dismiss it out of hand. Garbage study, not true, dumb kids...

My firm just moved downtown. I get to now endure all this downtown committee bs about growth and investment, it feels like hanging out with cheerleaders. Meanwhile anywhere I walk around the office there are empty storefronts and a city that is just beat, everything is just beat down and rusty and gray. Poor and beat down people everywhere. The city doesn't breathe with life so much as it lets out a long slow groan.

I'm not the only one who can tell the difference between what I can see and what I want to believe. But I'm feeling like the only one who is uncomfortable with everyone around me talking about what they want to believe and pretending what they see isn't real.

Perception is reality.

We've got the paper with the largest circulation and exposure, for all intents the voice of this city, putting out story after story (this is not the first article the PS has put out that delivers this same message), and you guys dismiss it out of hand. Garbage study, not true, dumb kids...
It sounds like a garbage study (I do this for a living), but of course there are realities to it. Cuse hasn't won in forever, it's cold here, it's far from lots of things, investment isn't the greatest, facilities are behind, etc etc etc.

But what else can you do aside from trying to be positive and make it better?

Well, for those who believe in the old maxim that there is no such thing as bad publicity, articles like this must be a godsend.

Interesting that 18% of the 65 programs are private universities and 42% of them are in the bottom 25% of the rankings. You can't deny that private universities have a heavier lift for football success. Agreed, winning has a strong correlation but being a private university trying to field a competitive program would seem to be part of the challenge.

Private universities:
5. USC
7. Miami
9. Stanford
15. Notre Dame
26. TCU
44. Duke
45. Northwestern
53. Baylor
55. Wake Forest
59. Vanderbilt
61. Syracuse
64. Boston College

Selling the private school and academic pitch is also quite challenging as well. Among the aforementioned privates, SU (at #61) ranks higher only to Baylor and TCU which are 75 & 78 respectively.

Perception is reality.

My firm just moved downtown. I get to now endure all this downtown committee bs about growth and investment, it feels like hanging out with cheerleaders. Meanwhile anywhere I walk around the office there are empty storefronts and a city that is just beat, everything is just beat down and rusty and gray. Poor and beat down people everywhere. The city doesn't breathe with life so much as it lets out a long slow groan.

I'm not the only one who can tell the difference between what I can see and what I want to believe. But I'm feeling like the only one who is uncomfortable with everyone around me talking about what they want to believe and pretending what they see isn't real.
All due respect, and maybe I’m missing your message here, but the article seems to focus on the SU program, rather than the City of Syracuse itself. And i totally get your point that things are pretty bleak in the city, but that’s usually been the case for as long as i can remember.
I don’t think folks are ignoring or dismissing the article(s), but are in more of a- “No isht, Sherlock”! reaction mode. I mean, do those articles tell us anything we weren’t already aware of?
One of the reasons the media is loathed, by folks from all corners of the political & social spectrum, is their almost pathological fixation with telling us how bad & how much, everything about our very existence, SUCKS.
I’m not saying they aren’t entirely accurate in some cases, but i am saying they make a CHOICE on what they will talk and write about, & what they’ll focus on.
It’s no coincidence, IMO, that a day after one of our best recruiting class in some time, these articles are written to remind us once again, that we have little to celebrate. It’s like watching the news and having story after story, report after report of murders, natural disasters, and all manner of conflicts seemingly occurring everywhere! If you watch only that, all day long, you’d think that everything simply sucks, and there’s no way to fix any of it...so what’s the point in even trying?
They do that because its easier, more controversial, sparks more emotion from the audience. Optimism and hope, for lack of a better word, are boring.
But, winning cures all ills. We do that, and all the negativity in the world won’t matter as much. It won’t disappear of course, because to be sure the underlying issues will still be there. But for a brief period at least, and as much as they might prefer the opposite, the many nattering nabobs of negativism, will be forced to acknowledge something more positive. JMHO

Last edited:
And that crowd picture had to be taken 1 hour before the spring game. Worst attendance in a season doesn’t look that bad. They used a picture like that intentionally.

It’s another trolling bait-click article. The editing staff are just as clownish because they made it the featured story on the home page. Would you imagine Dave rahme pulling that stunt? I miss the days when journalists were somewhat qualified and respected their craft.

I get what your saying but fixing/building a new Dome not only helps solve a big problem for the football program it also helps out every other sports program moving forward. It's the elephant in the room these days that isn't getting talked about enough. The current facility is outdated and just bad.

In regards to brand I agree maybe its not the #1 thing to fix, but its on the list if you want to fix the SU football brand long-term[/

That focuses on fixing the product.

If Babers is targeting a kid, I’d love to know what that recruit thinks of our brand after that.

And that’s the case with broadcast media as well ... the real evil’s with the producers, for whom “journalism” is an afterthought.

Cleveland before LeBron.

Their brand really sucked. Old rust belt city, cold weather, lots of losing.

It takes consistent winning, competent leadership at HC and at AD. That’s it. No new paint or logos or uni’s (they can be helpful, but are not the key here).

Cleveland before LeBron.

Their brand really sucked. Old rust belt city, cold weather, lots of losing.

It takes consistent winning, competent leadership at HC and at AD. That’s it. No new paint or logos or uni’s (they can be helpful, but are not the key here).
Our #50 ranked class is not going to compete for an ACC championship. We now have good coaching but so does our competition. We need to haul in top 20 recruiting classes. Open the purse or throw in the towel.

Our #50 ranked class is not going to compete for an ACC championship. We now have good coaching but so does our competition. We need to haul in top 20 recruiting classes. Open the purse or throw in the towel.

We need classes in the top 30-35 range with our system and coaching...plus more $$$. Definitely more.

And I know some here will hate my post and say SU already has tradition and a brand...well they do with middle aged men and men entering their AARP years, but NOT with 18 year old recruits. Those recruits don't care about Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little. They care about the guys who they played on video games when they were growing up. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, and Emmit Smith..etc. In the eyes of those kids, SU has no tradition. The world has changed, SU has to change with it and not be stuck in their old ways.

I agree with a lot of what you said, however I would argue your NFL talent statement was off base. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith were playing with McNabb, Harrison, Kevin Johnson, Freeney, Mungro, Darius, Tebuky Jones, Konrad, etc. we have had plenty of pro players that these kids grew up with, the problem is we haven’t had many college players of note.

I agree with a lot of what you said, however I would argue your NFL talent statement was off base. Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith were playing with McNabb, Harrison, Kevin Johnson, Freeney, Mungro, Darius, Tebuky Jones, Konrad, etc. we have had plenty of pro players that these kids grew up with, the problem is we haven’t had many college players of note.
McNabb hasn’t been good in 10 years,

Freeney 5.

The rest don’t register.

What will register and what the ‘brand’ needs to be is...dropping big scores week in and week out.

Orange is the new fast.

Let’s start by scoring 350pts next year (I’m taking the over) and make a bowl. Then drop a double nickel for the win there.

Get people taking about the Orange as a rising from the ashes program, then we can point to all the guys P routinely sent to the NFL.

The Orange can be an 8-10 Win team, year in and year out again.

It all starts on Offense...and the pieces are getting there.

All we need is a plane flying over with a banner: 15 years of lousy football