Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he does. And I think he does a fine job as a DT. I just think, as well as others, that Steven is/was better suited to the OL.
cubs, will he try and make the move to OL now that he will be moving on to a new program?

In my opinion, the reason why Zaire was able to accrue so many tackles is because Steven kept the guards and center from moving up into the secondary. As far as an NFL calibre DT? I personally don't think so. Not that he sucks; rather there are a number of other DTs in his class that would probably be selected before him. But, there was talk behind the scenes of him being a mid-level OL pick. Was told 3rd round or so.
I wasn't demeaning your son. My point was more to the poster who overeacts to everything.

I wasn't demeaning your son. My point was more to the poster who overeacts to everything.

I want to second that as I responded to your post. I have nothing but respect for Steven. This will be a big loss to the defense to not have him.

That was because our D stymied their highly explosive offense and got the ball back. And Clark did some heavy lifting in that effort.
The D didn't stymie VPI look at the stats. They made timely stops but VPI moved the ball up and down the field all game long.

They had over 450 yards. The offense won the game as they had long drives and wore the VPI defense into being gassed out.

cubs, will he try and make the move to OL now that he will be moving on to a new program?

I'd been encouraging Steven to move to the OL since his freshman year. He's honestly REALLY good at it. But, Steven has a thing for being an NT. So, I don't know if he'd make that move.

I'm just giving voice to what must be going through the coaching staffs mind but they can't express in public.

The D didn't stymie VPI look at the stats. They made timely stops but VPI moved the ball up and down the field all game long.

They had over 450 yards. The offense won the game as they had long drives and wore the VPI defense into being gassed out.
The whole "bend don't break" defense. Worked against VT.

Well, here's how it's working; Steven got permission to look around. He sent that permission letter to some programs. There have been some responses. Those programs have requested the documentation from Tucker and the vascular surgeon. I assume each team physician will review the documentation and come to a determination.
Thanks, appreciate the insight.

I'd been encouraging Steven to move to the OL since his freshman year. He's honestly REALLY good at it. But, Steven has a thing for being an NT. So, I don't know if he'd make that move.
As a player I loved defense much more than offense. OL is a thankless position, you just take tons of punishment. I was better suited for OL and played through college but in my heart I wanted to be a defensive tackle.

Sounds like he's playing for the love of the game and not just a shot at the pros.

!@#$ Rutgers. That whole area smells like a fetid boil...

Question for you - and you can choose to answer as in-depth as you'd like to...

It is my opinion that this coaching staff has what it takes to get things done at a high level. Your comment about them being pure gold gives me great hope for the program. And I think the changes made in S&C have proven to be quite drastic and beneficial.

But in your experience as a parent, are the coaches hamstrung by lack of support in other critical areas? Obviously we know your opinion of the medical/AT staff. But are there other support areas that are lacking? (travel, nutrition, student-athlete development, etc.). And do you think that this will affect A) how successful they can be at Syracuse and B) how long they will be at Syracuse?

It would be a very big shame if we have a staff committed and capable to winning that is not given all the tools to be successful, especially with the amount of investment that has the potential of happening from the money made from the ACC. I think this was a main reason that Marrone felt like he had to go (along with his disregard to recruiting, IMO). I think Shafer was a bit over his head.

Question for you - and you can choose to answer as in-depth as you'd like to...

It is my opinion that this coaching staff has what it takes to get things done at a high level. Your comment about them being pure gold gives me great hope for the program. And I think the changes made in S&C have proven to be quite drastic and beneficial.

But in your experience as a parent, are the coaches hamstrung by lack of support in other critical areas? Obviously we know your opinion of the medical/AT staff. But are there other support areas that are lacking? (travel, nutrition, student-athlete development, etc.). And do you think that this will affect A) how successful they can be at Syracuse and B) how long they will be at Syracuse?

It would be a very big shame if we have a staff committed and capable to winning that is not given all the tools to be successful, especially with the amount of investment that has the potential of happening from the money made from the ACC. I think this was a main reason that Marrone felt like he had to go (along with his disregard to recruiting, IMO). I think Shafer was a bit over his head.

Travel arrangements are actually pretty good. Chartered flights out of town, and the team is usually at a top rate hotel fairly close by wherever they're playing. Nutrition? Sadly lacking when compared with other programs. For instance, Florida has an entire staff solely dedicated to the nutritional care of players. Player housing is another short-coming. Overall COA allowance is rather small, too. There are actually several G5 teams that far exceed what SU pays out in COA. SU's field house is pretty good, on par with a number of teams but, it doesn't touch any of the powerhouse P5 programs (e.g. Florida), and a few of the G5s (e.g. Cincinnati) have better facilities, too.

As to how these shortcomings (real or perceived) might impact how successful SU is/becomes, it probably does to a degree. Nice "digs" are always going to have an influence on the marquee recruits. Personally, if I were a player, I'd have chosen Florida, if my only concern was to play for a team that had all the bling. For right now, the biggest advantage that the current staff has over many other programs is that they're very personable, and have a genuine concern about the kids they're recruiting. Long term, though, SU is going to have to cough up the dough to help them out.

Travel arrangements are actually pretty good. Chartered flights out of town, and the team is usually at a top rate hotel fairly close by wherever they're playing. Nutrition? Sadly lacking when compared with other programs. For instance, Florida has an entire staff solely dedicated to the nutritional care of players. Player housing is another short-coming. Overall COA allowance is rather small, too. There are actually several G5 teams that far exceed what SU pays out in COA. SU's field house is pretty good, on par with a number of teams but, it doesn't touch any of the powerhouse P5 programs (e.g. Florida), and a few of the G5s (e.g. Cincinnati) have better facilities, too.

As to how these shortcomings (real or perceived) might impact how successful SU is/becomes, it probably does to a degree. Nice "digs" are always going to have an influence on the marquee recruits. Personally, if I were a player, I'd have chosen Florida, if my only concern was to play for a team that had all the bling. For right now, the biggest advantage that the current staff has over many other programs is that they're very personable, and have a genuine concern about the kids they're recruiting. Long term, though, SU is going to have to cough up the dough to help them out.
Thanks for being so forthcoming.

Yep. And if he were to make the pros, it'd be only long enough to pay for grad school.
That's a unique perspective. I hope he's able to find a new home where he can continue to play and get a chunk of it for free. I've gathered from the comments on here that he's trying to graduate early. Is that right?

That's a unique perspective. I hope he's able to find a new home where he can continue to play and get a chunk of it for free. I've gathered from the comments on here that he's trying to graduate early. Is that right?
His goal always had been to get the BS a year early so that he could potentially get a year of grad school in while under the football schollie.

No problem.

I'd expressed those opinions before. 'Bout a year ago, I think. Previous staff had the same things going on.

Thank you as well. Just feel like this staff is different than the prior one, which is why I asked. I think the potential to build a Top 25 program is there with them. Just hope we can sustain it and build a program rather than have a flash in the pan and have them leave.

Thank you as well. Just feel like this staff is different than the prior one, which is why I asked. I think the potential to build a Top 25 program is there with them. Just hope we can sustain it and build a program rather than have a flash in the pan and have them leave.
Me, too. Would seriously help the coaches if more were done to improve facilities, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.