Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obligatory qualifier: this process is in place to protect student athletes who might be willing to take risks with their long term health that shouldn't be taken. It is important to have an ostensibly impartial outside party oversee such matters, who isn't going to be subject to pressure from the coaching staff to clear players who shouldn't be on the field.

But given the dissenting diagnoses from three separate, independent doctors who specialize in the field that is relevant to Steven's health issues, Dr. Tucker's decision seems absurd. And highlights a process that appears to be irreparably broken. At the very LEAST, I hope this triggers some internal scrutiny to gauge how this mechanism can be improved, and potentially who might need to be involved. Much earlier in this thread, somebody suggested that maybe it would be better to have a panel of doctors instead of one who has unilateral authority to render a decision that can't be appealed. The intent of the process is laudable, but the execution has been questionable.

I'm really sorry for the Clark family -- they are the ones who now have to deal with this life-changing decision.

Tucker is doing what Syracuse wants or they wouldn't continue the relationship.

The athletic department, general counsel for the school, and Board of trustees need to be inundated with complaints.

Tucker isn't an expert and it appears he is doing whatever can mitigate legal action against the school instead of doing what is in the best interests of his patients.

The AD will be receiving an email from me tonight. Probably won't matter a bit but definitely feeling the need. We are watching an administration severely hand-cuff a really, really good coaching staff. Why in the world would Dino stay unless there is a change in the medical staff? Just count the DQ'd players over the last 5 years. This is not the norm in big-time CFB.

Also, it seems like given the other cases outlined earlier in the thread, this reeks of selective prosecution of the DQ policy. Really feel bad for Steven and his family.

I hope your son gets a million offers. He deserves them all. Someone is going to get an absolute high-quality DT. Really, really frustrating that he won't be lining up for us up front this year.
Yep. We're SUPER pissed. And, thanks.

The AD will be receiving an email from me tonight. Probably won't matter a bit but definitely feeling the need. We are watching an administration severely hand-cuff a really, really good coaching staff. Why in the world would Dino stay unless there is a change in the medical staff? Just count the DQ'd players over the last 5 years. This is not the norm in big-time CFB.

Cuseman, I hope you DO send that email. But please don't couch it under the rationale of big time football, and the coaches being handcuffed--I doubt that the administration will be receptive to that kind of reaction from the fanbase, who care first and foremost about sports. Hopefully, you'll put the focus on the process, where it belongs -- and hopefully they get the message. Sorry to be preachy.

First and foremost, best wishes to Steven and his family.

Although I have total faith in Dino, I truly wonder at times whether the administration is up to the task of restoring the football program...all I know is this is going on 15 years of mediocrity and we can't seem to get out of our own way.

None of us would ever want anything but the best physically for every SU player, but this decision just smacks of antiquated thinking and a CYA mentality.

We just can't afford these types of issues during what is already an uphill rebuild.

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but do we have a list of players who have been medically DQ'd here, and went off to play at other schools? In the last like, 5 years?

Cuseman, I hope you DO send that email. But please don't couch it under the rationale of big time football, and the coaches being handcuffed--I doubt that the administration will be receptive to that kind of reaction from the fanbase, who care first and foremost about sports. Hopefully, you'll put the focus on the process, where it belongs -- and hopefully they get the message. Sorry to be preachy.
This isn't about disqualifying players. I want players to be disqualified if there's a health concern. Josh Allen in my opinion is rightfully being disqualified when you say heart I don't want to risk the kid having anything that could kill him.
But when we hear the details of this case it appears Tucker is practicing CYA medicine.

This isn't about disqualifying players. I want players to be disqualified if there's a health concern. Josh Allen in my opinion is rightfully being disqualified when you say heart I don't want to risk the kid having anything that could kill him.
But when we hear the details of this case it appears Tucker is practicing CYA medicine.
Absolutely agree, and again it is apparently selective CYA medicine.

Cleared by hematologist from the University of Rochester.
Dodging your son so that he doesn't have to answer his questions; failure to allow for due process by seeking a 2nd opinion on the matter (provided that the family selected hematologist gave him the "ALL CLEAR!" and university selected hematologist gave him the "NO GO!"); and now further complicated by yet another hematologist giving Steven the "ALL CLEAR!"

PAGING DR TUCKER...
51347404.jpg

Gonna put this out there now. Steven has been cleared by the team doc at Western Michigan to play for them. We're going up this weekend to check it out. I grew up in Kalamazoo, so, it's basically a homecoming trip for me.
I'd rather Steven play here, but since SU screwed this up (like most things lately), I think this sounds like a good landing spot. I liked Lester and Daoust is a fine defensive coach. Best of luck! I'm rooting for Steven wherever he ends up.

There can be multiple forms of venting. Feel free to send your own to him with your thoughts. The more, the merrier.

jwildhac syr.edu (put an at symbol between his name and syr.edu)

There can be multiple forms of venting. Feel free to send your own to him with your thoughts. The more, the merrier.

jwildhac syr.edu (put an at symbol between his name and syr.edu)

Completely agree. I just don't think that "venting" is going to get anything accomplished / changed.

Not trying to step on your toes, though.

Yep. We're SUPER pissed. And, thanks.
This is such a typical Syracuse move it makes me sick.

Bear - I'm rooting for your son to go to the biggest program that offers and dominate on TV every week before getting drafted to keep the story front and center until the program can make a change.

I've said it before - in all seriousness, if Syracuse University is this paranoid about lawsuits then they need to drop the program.

I won't be stepping foot in the Dome for a football game again until changes are made. There's no point in supporting a sports team that is not fully committed to competing with their peers. This -footing half-in/half-out approach is bullshit.

Here's Dino Babers the second he receives another HC offer from anyone else (and make no mistake - he's already looking).

Jc75Na.gif

Completely agree. I just don't think that "venting" is going to get anything accomplished / changed.

Not trying to step on your toes, though.

Not sure anything would change things, but if the AD got 150 emails tonight, some venting, some with a more rational approach, at least they'd take some notice. Better than the alternative of no one giving a damn. The AD needs to hear from their fan base from time to time.

I've said it before - in all seriousness, if Syracuse University is this paranoid about lawsuits then they need to drop the program.

I won't be stepping foot in the Dome for a football game again until changes are made. There's no point in supporting a sports team that is not fully committed to competing with their peers. This -footing half-in/half-out approach is bullshit.

Here's Dino Babers the second he receives another HC offer from anyone else (and make no mistake - he's already looking).

Jc75Na.gif

Your gif nails it. I won't go as far as not stepping foot in the Dome, because I'm an addict, but hopefully everyone appreciates the offensive football they're going to see this year. Its going to be short-lived without changes in commitment by the AD.

Not sure anything would change things, but if the AD got 150 emails tonight, some venting, some with a more rational approach, at least they'd take some notice. Better than the alternative of no one giving a damn. The AD needs to hear from their fan base from time to time.

If what Mr. Clark is saying about Western Michigan is true, then that should be a punch in the nose to our process. Hate to have it come down to losing such a key player to make that statement, but sometimes it takes something big to galvanize change.

And sorry for the tone of the note above--came across as telling you what to say.

This is so Bush league.

God our administration staying quiet is even more frustrating.

Fine you won't reverse on Steven Clark then get rid of Dr. Tucker NOW or we know the administration thinks nothing is wrong.

I have lost faith in Syverud. Wildhack still has some rope but the chancellor has been a lot of hot smoke. He caved on the NCAA appeal. The Dome project still hasn't been decided formally.
This guy has done not much except reign in Cantor spending.

I would think this is coming from some legal team that SU is relying on. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how an AD can overrule the 'final say' doctor that SU is utilizing.

Didn't Dr Raphael Irving leave around June 2014 and Dr Tucker named head team physician well before Wildhacks's hiring in 2016? Dr Tucker was hired before Coyle even. Ken Syveruud, a legal expert, was named chancellor in 2014. As I said I think many of these decisions are coming from the very top and being made for legal reasons not just medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.