Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so disappointing. Find this hits hard when you're a season ticket holder who's whole year revolves around football season coming back. I can't imagine how the family's of all the players who've struggled with this medical staff feel.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Syracuse AD John Wildhack also told <a href="Mike Waters (@MikeWatersSYR) | Twitter">@MikeWatersSYR</a> this morning that he&#39;s &quot;confident in the work our medical team has done&quot; re Steven Clark. <a href="Stephen Bailey on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/MIYdyI2oSb</a></p>&mdash; Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) <a href="">July 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This was a very polite way of saying Dr. Tucker messed this up without drawing the ire of the NCAA (It's all about the student athlete ... who pays my salary) and the Chancellor/BoT (who really care about SU but are not ones to want everyone's attention on them). Well played, Mr. Wildhack.

He's a media person and understands PR. Having said that, I hope he doesn't actually think people are so stupid that they don't recognize the BS in his statement. This wasn't merely a difference of opinion. This was a nonexpert ignoring multiple experts that independently drew the same conclusion.

He doesn't think anyone buys the BS, but he cannot openly contradict the official opinion as put forth by Dr. Tucker. He has to stay with the decision unless/until the BoT/Chancellor make the change. Your analysis of Dr. Tucker's decision making process is on point, but Wildhack has to avoid the appearance that Dr. Tucker may get terminated based on poor decisions in lieu of the NCAA's position that the INDEPENDENT doctor has a final say. How independent is a doctor if he can get canned for a bad decision? That is how the NCAA will interpret the matter and then launch another investigation.

Wildhack is walking a tightrope and doing it well. It's on the BoT and Chancellor to handle th rest of the matter with dignity and professionalism. Unfortunately, SC may be a victim (still hoping things happen fast enough that Steven stays around and gets to play).

Wildhack's statement encourages me in that if he were truly constrained (i.e. the BoT issued a policy that DQs would always look towards avoiding liability), he would never get away with any perceived deviation from the "party" line. His statement backs up what others have said they are hearing (and Bcubs has stated plainly-H/T to Bcubs!). The big guys are listening!

He doesn't think anyone buys the BS, but he cannot openly contradict the official opinion as put forth by Dr. Tucker. He has to stay with the decision unless/until the BoT/Chancellor make the change. Your analysis of Dr. Tucker's decision making process is on point, but Wildhack has to avoid the appearance that Dr. Tucker may get terminated based on poor decisions in lieu of the NCAA's position that the INDEPENDENT doctor has a final say. How independent is a doctor if he can get canned for a bad decision? That is how the NCAA will interpret the matter and then launch another investigation.

Wildhack is walking a tightrope and doing it well. It's on the BoT and Chancellor to handle th rest of the matter with dignity and professionalism. Unfortunately, SC may be a victim (still hoping things happen fast enough that Steven stays around and gets to play).

Wildhack's statement encourages me in that if he were truly constrained (i.e. the BoT issued a policy that DQs would always look towards avoiding liability), he would never get away with any perceived deviation from the "party" line. His statement backs up what others have said they are hearing (and Bcubs has stated plainly-H/T to Bcubs!). The big guys are listening!
Can you point out where in his statement that makes you take heart?

Ok I'm hearing Tucker has long term ties to JB...unfortunately nothing changes at SUAD unless JB approves...nuff said...

Ok maybe you guys don't realize this but JB is SUAD.​

I don't think JB would support a friend if the friend was clearly wrong.

He would be honest if he had to be. JB isn't protecting Tucker IMO. Tucker is doing what the Syracuse adminstration wants done.

Love JB but is there anyone more loyal than him? He won't can his friend or would he?

Exactly! We know JB will defend people loyal to him to the death. Maybe we should send emails to JB. That may actually get Tucker to reopen the case. Sad.

Needs to retire now and maybe get a part time job at the DQ! He really is a mothertucker! Ben would have had his nuts hanging in his office by now.

This is all on the administration. How in the world do you employ, make a (i will call it well seasoned to be nice) primary doc to reign over a P5 fb program with all the elaborate training regimens and moving parts? Most teams have an orthopedic physician on staff as well as a primary doc. AGAIN, in the medical world, especially the over specialized world we live in; medicine is more specialized than ever. It's the foundation for our American healthcare woes. That's a conversation for another day on a different board. Point is, docs are deferring as a standard practice. Heck, cardiologists want nothing to do with a neck or abdominal symptom. Report and you are on your way to see a gastroenterologist and/or surgeon. Our in house doc is not only NOT willing to seek special/expert opinion but after being challenged he is not interested in listening to expert, specialty opinions and then reversing his original stance. That's sheer stubbornness, immaturity, AND a lack of care for the bottom line. The health and welfare of the kids you oversee. I dont know him personally, but he should be embarrassed.

Can you point out where in his statement that makes you take heart?

Fair question, it is not one specific comment but the whole of the comment and what was not said.

1. SUAD states "...welfare and well being of our student/athletes is paramount." Follows NCAA guidelines, sheds good light on SU, states a generally good position that most of us agree with in principal. None of us wants a kid who is truly medically DQ'd to play, we do not wish a permanent injury, or worse, on anyone.

2. Wildhack acknowledges inconsistent medial opinions, a truth nearly all of us have experienced or know someone who has. Nothing more than a fact.

3. Wildhack states the official University position line: "I'm confident in the work our medical team has done." The NCAA cannot complain, meanwhile the University powers that be can quietly address the matter. No dissension in the troops.

4. What is missing is the explanation of how/why Dr. Tucker is correct. First, it is a nearly impossible position to defend; second, it would paint the University BOT and Chancellor into a corner; third, it would create much more ill will trying to justify a very wrong decision in light of the facts as known at this time; fourth, it would mean Wildhack at least will comply willingly (no behind-closed-doors-disagreements); fifth, it would mean Wildhack will not fight for his coaches and athletes.

5. Immediately following the official line of confidence in the medical team, Wildhack, without missing a beat, acknowledges Steven may play elsewhere. This strongly indicates that Wildhack sees the issue and probably indicates that the University sees the issue. The issue being that the medical decision is likely driven by fear of liability (which may not matter as the team medical personnel issued the brace that caused the blood clots for which they are likely liable - see a NY attorney for clarification and real legal advice about this instance) and not by sound medical opinion. By stating that Steven may have other playing opportunities, Wildhack has also opened the door for other schools to take a closer look at Steven's abilities. Wildhack essentially invites other schools to look at Steven's abilities and medical record and openly states Steven will have the University's support if he leaves to play elsewhere. Plainly, Wildhack knows Steven has the ability and health to play.

6. Wildhack moves right into support for Steven. Classy and proper. Steven deserves the University's support and the fans support, he has both. Wildhack is on board with Steven's best interest. Not sure if this is a signal that Wildhack is trying to force the matter behind closed doors and encouraging Steven to hold on a little longer (or possibly the medical red shirt season), but he pledges support for Steven.

Conclusion: The pressure is on Wildhack and the administration. Someone had to release a public statement. Wildhack (a Newhouse grad if I recall), the former ESPN exec, handled the matter delicately, professionally, and gave full support to Steven. Each of which should be expected by us all (who love SU for whatever reason). Wildhack delivered. Point #4 is what encourages me most. If Wildhack was merely a tool, he would have "justified" Dr. Tucker's decision, or at least attempted to do so. Instead, he covered all bases to avoid significant scrutiny, ignored a defense of Dr. Tucker and opened the door to other schools recruiting Steven, a slap in the face of Dr. Tucker (Steven is medically DQ'd even though he can play elsewhere), placing the ball in the administration/BoT's court. This may take time, but Dr. Tucker will probably take a quiet retirement...not soon enough, but sooner rather than later.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, others are free to have their own and express them as such. A few; Bcubs, Bambrewer, Chakka, and others; may have a better interpretation based on their proximity to the people and events related to this issue and I welcome any insight (whether I am right or wrong), this is just my take on it.

DFM4u23UAAgaWP8.jpg:large

Is there any way to get all the fans to mass boycott the 1st half of the opening game. Then when they do get to their seat after half time on the tv camera side put up a big TIFO we support Clark, remove Tucker. Hit the University were it counts in their wallet.

Fair question, it is not one specific comment but the whole of the comment and what was not said.

1. SUAD states "...welfare and well being of our student/athletes is paramount." Follows NCAA guidelines, sheds good light on SU, states a generally good position that most of us agree with in principal. None of us wants a kid who is truly medically DQ'd to play, we do not wish a permanent injury, or worse, on anyone.

2. Wildhack acknowledges inconsistent medial opinions, a truth nearly all of us have experienced or know someone who has. Nothing more than a fact.

3. Wildhack states the official University position line: "I'm confident in the work our medical team has done." The NCAA cannot complain, meanwhile the University powers that be can quietly address the matter. No dissension in the troops.

4. What is missing is the explanation of how/why Dr. Tucker is correct. First, it is a nearly impossible position to defend; second, it would paint the University BOT and Chancellor into a corner; third, it would create much more ill will trying to justify a very wrong decision in light of the facts as known at this time; fourth, it would mean Wildhack at least will comply willingly (no behind-closed-doors-disagreements); fifth, it would mean Wildhack will not fight for his coaches and athletes.

5. Immediately following the official line of confidence in the medical team, Wildhack, without missing a beat, acknowledges Steven may play elsewhere. This strongly indicates that Wildhack sees the issue and probably indicates that the University sees the issue. The issue being that the medical decision is likely driven by fear of liability (which may not matter as the team medical personnel issued the brace that caused the blood clots for which they are likely liable - see a NY attorney for clarification and real legal advice about this instance) and not by sound medical opinion. By stating that Steven may have other playing opportunities, Wildhack has also opened the door for other schools to take a closer look at Steven's abilities. Wildhack essentially invites other schools to look at Steven's abilities and medical record and openly states Steven will have the University's support if he leaves to play elsewhere. Plainly, Wildhack knows Steven has the ability and health to play.

6. Wildhack moves right into support for Steven. Classy and proper. Steven deserves the University's support and the fans support, he has both. Wildhack is on board with Steven's best interest. Not sure if this is a signal that Wildhack is trying to force the matter behind closed doors and encouraging Steven to hold on a little longer (or possibly the medical red shirt season), but he pledges support for Steven.

Conclusion: The pressure is on Wildhack and the administration. Someone had to release a public statement. Wildhack (a Newhouse grad if I recall), the former ESPN exec, handled the matter delicately, professionally, and gave full support to Steven. Each of which should be expected by us all (who love SU for whatever reason). Wildhack delivered. Point #4 is what encourages me most. If Wildhack was merely a tool, he would have "justified" Dr. Tucker's decision, or at least attempted to do so. Instead, he covered all bases to avoid significant scrutiny, ignored a defense of Dr. Tucker and opened the door to other schools recruiting Steven, a slap in the face of Dr. Tucker (Steven is medically DQ'd even though he can play elsewhere), placing the ball in the administration/BoT's court. This may take time, but Dr. Tucker will probably take a quiet retirement...not soon enough, but sooner rather than later.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, others are free to have their own and express them as such. A few; Bcubs, Bambrewer, Chakka, and others; may have a better interpretation based on their proximity to the people and events related to this issue and I welcome any insight (whether I am right or wrong), this is just my take on it.

That would be the most optimistic take. Of all of it, #5 resonates.

I don't even know what to say if JB really is protecting his friend. Don't even wanna think about it. He has to care about the Football program. I'll never know, as I'm not in the know, but really disappointing if JB cares more about Tucker than SU Football, and the student athletes. I know he has a lot of clout, but that's just insane to think of. This whole situation is just a complete joke, but with tort it unfortunately makes sense, I guess.

Great parsing, makes a lot of sense. Agree about #4 - no attempt to defend the indefensible is encouraging. Keeping fingers crossed not all is lost for Steven. This whole situation is mind-boggling and quite upsetting. Can't even begin to imagine what the family is going thru.

I don't even know what to say if JB really is protecting his friend. Don't even wanna think about it. He has to care about the Football program. I'll never know, as I'm not in the know, but really disappointing if JB cares more about Tucker than SU Football, and the student athletes. I know he has a lot of clout, but that's just insane to think of. This whole situation is just a complete joke, but with tort it unfortunately makes sense, I guess.

Thats not what is going on - point of clarification.

Basically Tucker's where he's at because of JBs connection & approval. JB is not supposedly involved in this current DQ at all (at least I hope not anyways). It's more about how did Tucker get the job in the first place...had to get a approval via JB (as the story goes). They are the same age you know...and I think they live close to each other (don't know for sure and I'm not looking this up).

Anyway, I was asked by a few if Tucker had connections to BOT. I was told it has more to do with a JB connection in how he got the job in the first place. That's the historical progression. I wonder if Tucker is JBs doc (or once was).

Regarding Steven's DQ, that's on Tucker, not JB at all. Hope this makes more sense (I've had a few tonight because I'm so pissed with Tucker & Steven's DQ). I would hope that JB doesn't stand in the way if Tucker was ever asked to resign but JB is a loyalist as we all know.

Ok I'm hearing Tucker has long term ties to JB...unfortunately nothing changes at SUAD unless JB approves...nuff said...

Ok maybe you guys don't realize this but JB is SUAD.​
I knew it! That's why I said he must be one of JB's golfing buddies when Chakka mentioned a ridiculously long 'process' of removing Tucker. Bet this dude thinks he's untouchable because he's JB's buddy (and he might be right) :mad:

The thing that makes it easy to believe is that JB's loyalty and stubbornness seem to sometimes blind him to the truth. He's the type of guy that would take Tucker at his word regardless of objective evidence.

Thats not what is going on - point of clarification.

Basically Tucker's where he's at because of JBs connection & approval. JB is not supposedly involved in this current DQ at all (at least I hope not anyways). It's more about how did Tucker get the job in the first place...had to get a approval via JB (as the story goes). They are the same age you know...and I think they live close to each other (don't know for sure and I'm not looking this up).

Anyway, I was asked by a few if Tucker had connections to BOT. I was told it has more to do with a JB connection in how he got the job in the first place. That's the historical progression. I wonder if Tucker is JBs doc (or once was).

Regarding Steven's DQ, that's on Tucker, not JB at all. Hope this makes more sense (I've had a few tonight because I'm so pissed with Tucker & Steven's DQ). I would hope that JB doesn't stand in the way if Tucker was ever asked to resign but JB is a loyalist as we all know.
What is Dr. Tucker's level of expertise on sports injuries, and specifically, concussions? If nothing special, then that is a great reason to retire him and bring in someone new, assuming that such a person could be found. Same general idea as replacing hicks for football.

Come to think of it, can a school have a dedicated doctor for football, who knows a good deal about high-intensity violent contact sports?

I feel like a lot of you need to back off the ledge. The kid could've been a beast but one player won't make or break a season. All due respect to him and his family but he's also not single handedly winning games. The whole situation is crap but let the season play out and try not to think the sky is falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.