Syracuse hires Pat March, former Princeton OC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse hires Pat March, former Princeton OC

Time will tell doesn’t get me real excited pretty much ensures Ryan Powell won’t ever be on the sidelines. Syracuse has not faired well going outside it’s own DNA with assistants think back to the year Ohara I believe in 05 and Darin in 07 neither bad coaches but the outside blood didn’t have the desired eft

I'll be the first to say it (I think)... any concern Donahue is still around? Hoping he is given the freedom to install what has been successful in Princeton.

I believe Donahue was also in charge of the goalies and face-off units, so hopefully he can still help in those departments. Impossible to know how responsibilities will be doled out but I have to imagine that Donahue will still have a lot to teach and a lot of knowledge to impart on the team. I think having him on the sidelines is still a net positive.

I'll be the first to say it (I think)... any concern Donahue is still around? Hoping he is given the freedom to install what has been successful in Princeton.

I had the same thought, but maybe Donahue will concentrate on the faceoffs and the other areas he has coached and leave the offense to March.

Personally, like the hire a lot. Outside of the norm for the program, as they always hire from within. Also has shown results at Princeton. You flat out cannot argue with how the Tigers averaged 10 goals a game the year prior to his hiring, then averaging 15 under March. Regardless of new personel (Sowers) thats impressive. Also a much needed injection of youth to the coaching staff. Really hope Xanders is right when he says March can recruit.

Princeton had two freshman this past year who put up similar numbers to Dordevic and Curry as freshman. And of course they flipped our guy Marquez White (highly rated 2020 middie) to them. At the very least those three came aboard while he was on staff but who can say how involved March actually was in that recruiting process compared to the head coach and others. Possible that Xanders is just saying that based on the ratings of their incoming class as well, which looks like a pretty solid one.

Welcome to the Cuse family, Coach March!

Last edited:
I had the same thought, but maybe Donahue will concentrate on the faceoffs and the other areas he has coached and leave the offense to March.
KD knowledge will/ can be tapped on but March as asst coach/OC has to be given space to install his offense and tailor personnel to fit his schemes. Composition of attack unit now more intriguing. There will be a transitionary period but fresh paper will be drawn on.

KD is invaluable coach/ adviser/ resource who has been involved in all facets including faceoffs, goalie and defense so expecting him to help mainly in those areas which is ridiculously beneficial to all

Love the enthusiasm, but it's Coach March, like March Madness!
Thanks,
Darn spell correct is the bain of my existence.
I need to wait until I can check the post before moving on. I appreciate your help.

Princeton had two freshman this past year who put up similar numbers to Dordevic and Curry as freshman. And of course they flipped our guy Marquez White (highly rated 2020 middie) to them. At the very least those three came aboard while he was on staff but who can say how involved March actually was in that recruiting process compared to the head coach and others. Possible that Xanders is just saying that based on the ratings of their incoming class as well, which looks like a pretty solid one.

Yes, at least according to Xanders (which is all we have to go on these days), the Princeton recruiting classes for '19 and '20, which I imagine March had a hand in, look pretty strong. Below are the ranked players that PU has gotten commitments from.

2019 - #11, #21 #63, #67, #87
2020 - #26, #34, #52, #67, #68, #74

That easily outpaces Syracuse's recruiting rankings over those two years.

Would have loved to see Mike Abbott for local sentiment, but I trust the process. One thing that will apply to either of them is that I don't think you can really compare recruiting (incl. rankings) at Syracuse vs. Ivy Leagues. For lacrosse, when Ivy League knocks it sounds different.

Coach Desko has made some serious moves getting Scanlan to transfer and shaking up the staff.

March is also now SU's recruiting coordinator per the Press Release.

Between Carc's take on March after talking with people nationally (especially his recruiting reputation) and the fact that he was the Recruiting Coordinator at Princeton...this hire looks better and better as March's offensive coaching ability seems undeniable.

John Desko @JohnDesko
Welcome coach We’re excited to get Coach March up to Syracuse.

Lelan Rogers @LelanRogers
Welcome Coach March

Should we be alarmed that his offense went from 2nd in the nation, to 3rd, and then dipped down to 10th in his 3rd year at Princeton or no?

Liam Banks @LB3Liam
Welcome to the CuseMLAX family coach March. Current players should be pumped to have such a great offensive mind. 2021 Recruits who love to play an open free flowing offense should certainly be taking a look at wearing Orange #Dome #TopNotchFacilities #RunandGun #HHH

Should we be alarmed that his offense went from 2nd in the nation, to 3rd, and then dipped down to 10th in his 3rd year at Princeton or no?
Too many variables at play there and goals per game barely budged (+/- <1) in that period so it’s not a great stat to look at. I just want to see how he schemes without an all time player like Sowers. Carc spun it as a positive that he will have more freedom, we shall see.

March is also now SU's recruiting coordinator per the Press Release.

Between Carc's take on March after talking with people nationally (especially his recruiting reputation) and the fact that he was the Recruiting Coordinator at Princeton...this hire looks better and better as March's offensive coaching ability seems undeniable.
I think this is going to have a very positive effect in the recruiting department. My question is can he coach goalies/fogos as well? If so then this could turn out real well

Yes, at least according to Xanders (which is all we have to go on these days), the Princeton recruiting classes for '19 and '20, which I imagine March had a hand in, look pretty strong. Below are the ranked players that PU has gotten commitments from.

2019 - #11, #21 #63, #67, #87
2020 - #26, #34, #52, #67, #68, #74

That easily outpaces Syracuse's recruiting rankings over those two years.

He's an ambitious guy. What are the odds he stays longer than one or two years?

I think this is going to have a very positive effect in the recruiting department. My question is can he coach goalies/fogos as well? If so then this could turn out real well

Donahue coaches the fogos and goalies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom