Syracuse hires Pat March, former Princeton OC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse hires Pat March, former Princeton OC

Donahue coaches the fogos and goalies
That’s right-forgot he was put into the volunteer position. Maybe that’s something he can specifically specialize in, and obviously March and Rodgers will handle the offense/defense. Much healthier then what we’ve had in the past (one guy managing over 3 areas)

Huh?
Is this the same Mitchell who just signed on at Providence a week ago after resigning in June after only a year at Bellarmine?

Why don't we give him a few games before we start worrying when/if he'll leave :)
because it's a factor in the decision to hire him regardless of his coaching skills. His trajectory is up fast. Good for him, but do we want to go through this again in 21? To me it's an obvious discussion before hiring.

because it's a factor in the
decision to hire him regardless of his coaching skills. His trajectory is up fast. Good for him, but do we want to go through this again in 21? To me it's an obvious discussion before hiring.

It's a great problem to have.

Great Hire. Checks all the boxes.

because it's a factor in the decision to hire him regardless of his coaching skills. His trajectory is up fast. Good for him, but do we want to go through this again in 21? To me it's an obvious discussion before hiring.

Even if (and it is a very big if) he left after two years, it would still be a positive that we shook up/modernized our staff and our offensive schemes. Even if he leaves it would probably be after introducing a new standard for how we run the offense that we would then look to replicate in our next hire. Presumably he could only leave to a higher level position after once again having great success with us as an OC. I will take two years of change/improvement even if it means going through this process again in a few years, especially since it was relatively painless this time around.

Even if (and it is a very big if) he left after two years, it would still be a positive that we shook up/modernized our staff and our offensive schemes. Even if he leaves it would probably be after introducing a new standard for how we run the offense that we would then look to replicate in our next hire. Presumably he could only leave to a higher level position after once again having great success with us as an OC. I will take two years of change/improvement even if it means going through this process again in a few years, especially since it was relatively painless this time around.

Cost of living in Syracuse is significantly better than Princeton, NJ. He is what in his early 30s? I am not sure if he is married or single. Could be a good lifestyle for him for a 3 to 4 years in CNY.

For recruiting saw this old artlcle. Given his father's connections in Maryland...we could make some headway in the region

Strangely, Princeton only has 5 players from the DMV and they are all JRs and SRs that likely committed before he was on board.

Here's the breakdown of Freshman and Sophomores:

Calif.

Colo.

1 went to Culver Military

Conn.

Fla.

Ill.

Mass.

1 went to Choate

N.C.

N.J.

N.Y.

Ont.

1 went to Culver Military

Pa.

R.I.

1 went to Deerfield

Texas

Utah

Last edited:
Strangely, Princeton only has 5 players from the DMV and they are all JRs and SRs that likely committed before he was on board.

Here's the breakdown of Freshman and Sophomores:

Calif.

Colo.

1 went to Culver Miltary

Conn.

Fla.

Ill.

Mass.

1 went to Choate

N.C.

N.J.

N.Y.

Ont.

1 went to Culver Miltary

Pa.

R.I.

1 went to Deerfield

Texas

Utah

interesting? Who knows

Satisfied and optimistic with the March hire assuming Donahue decided to transition into retirement but dont understand the take that our scheme was archaic. Older scheme but it was effective and adapted to the personnel at hand.

Tend to overlook that 19" offense ranked 15th in nation ahead of teams such as Maryland, UNC, Duke, ND, JHU, Denver and many more . Averaged nearly 13 goals a game against a tough sos without Dordevic (or a Scanlan). Scheme worked to strength of having several good players who moved the ball well and it was both pleasing and potent when hitting on all cylinders`. Offense bog down at times as most do especially when lacking that alpha who takes over but that is matter of personnel more so than scheme.

Princeton by comparison came in 11th in nation averaging a goal more a game against a softer schedule and blessed with Sowers qbing. The 1-4-1 is a different set but Curry and others dodged plenty last year. More interested in seeing the inversions and big little tactics as well as the younger energy of a players coach supported by experienced hands.
Say no more other than looking forward to 2020 season. I would expect our goals per game avg. to rise some with schedule but how Cuse O ares vs tougher teams will be the ultimate tale of tape.

interesting? Who knows

Can you really compare where Ivy League kids come from to where everyone else comes from? There are a lot of kids, athletically and academically, who could attend any number of D1 schools outside of the Ivy League. But the number of kids who are academically appropriate for the Ivy League, in addition to having the athletic bonafides to play D1 lacrosse, is far lower and an Ivy school has to take them from wherever they can get them.

painless??? remains to be seen. have we already agreed that he's a great coach? Sorry, he is going to have to prove himself, then tell me about the pollyanna stuff.

painless??? remains to be seen. have we already agreed that he's a great coach? Sorry, he is going to have to prove himself, then tell me about the pollyanna stuff.

I was referring to the process of hiring a new OC with a legit amount of success and experience as being painless this time around. He has already proven himself at two other schools. Yes he still has to prove himself here but I just don’t think it’s likely that he singlehandedly brings the team down a peg from where it’s supposed to be, especially since the rest of the staff remains intact and Donahue will still most likely play a positive supportive role.

I am not full on optimistic about this but I was way less optimistic about keeping things as is with our offensive schemes, recruiting, etc.

And what would have made you happy in this situation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom