Syracuse not a top 25 team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse not a top 25 team

Somebody please give me some tangible evidence that this affects recruiting please. TIA. Until then I'm just going to assume that the outrage is nothing more than

Homer_simpsonwoohooo.gif

Or

open-uri20150422-12561-lquteq_348dea2f.jpeg

Or wearing

download (5).jpg

HOFCeluck said:
Somebody please give me some tangible evidence that this affects recruiting please. TIA. Until then I'm just going to assume that the outrage is nothing more than

Or

Or wearing

But...the sheep.

The numbers tell a different story. In the past 20 seasons between the Preseason AP Poll and the Final AP Poll, we have been...
-Overrated 11 times (1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015)
-Underrated 7 times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2012)
-Unranked in both pre and final polls 2 times (2008, 2016)

Syracuse

We're feeling indignant and disrespected here. Don't confuse us with facts.

Whether its disrespect, hatred, whatever you want to call it, I don't know how you can call yourself an expert on college bball, and not have this team in your top 25. Lets take Gary Parrish for instance. He has St Mary's at 14, they didn't even make the tourney last year, Ucla at 11, they had a losing record. Rhode Island at 16, they were awful last year. He has Creighton and Nc State in there, those teams were terrible last year.

In college basketball you look at the track record of the coach. JB's teams always win 20+ games. They are almost always ranked and almost always end the season ranked. You look at the returning players. In this case Lydon and Roberson did enough last year, especially in the NCAAT, to be considered significant players. Add to that a highly regarded incoming freshman (Battle) and a highly regarded transfer (White) and SU should be ranked pre-season. You can be sure that if Izzo was starting 3 women and a one-legged PG his team would still have a pre-season top 25 ranking.

Whether its disrespect, hatred, whatever you want to call it, I don't know how you can call yourself an expert on college bball, and not have this team in your top 25. Lets take Gary Parrish for instance. He has St Mary's at 14, they didn't even make the tourney last year, Ucla at 11, they had a losing record. Rhode Island at 16, they were awful last year. He has Creighton and Nc State in there, those teams were terrible last year.

Preach!

In college basketball you look at the track record of the coach. JB's teams always win 20+ games. They are almost always ranked and almost always end the season ranked. You look at the returning players. In this case Lydon and Roberson did enough last year, especially in the NCAAT, to be considered significant players. Add to that a highly regarded incoming freshman (Battle) and a highly regarded transfer (White) and SU should be ranked pre-season. You can be sure that if Izzo was starting 3 women and a one-legged PG his team would still have a pre-season top 25 ranking.
Exactly.

This team is similar to the 09'-10' team. Unranked in the pre-season with a ton of talent. We lost a lot of scoring from the year before and we had a lot of talent but most folks were unsure how everyone would bounce back. Wes Johnson, Andy and Scoop were just unbelievable. Eventually #1 during the season.

That team was as good as any I'd ever seen pre Onuaku injury. That throttling of UNC was one of the most satisfying wins I've ever watched.

I remember destroying UNC at MSG early that season. Man that was fun.

I remember destroying UNC at MSG early that season. Man that was fun.

That was a great game, and was Johnson's coming out party. I still remember that swaggy little jog he had after, I believe, nailing a 3 to extend our lead. Still my favorite team. It might always be, but I'm sure hoping this year's team can give them a run for their money!

Worrying or arguing about Syracuse's rightful place in the pre season polls is s fools errand. I mean, do you really expect anything different. Most of the guys who barf up these polls are a$$hats for the most part and it would be ridiculous to think they aren't aware of the fact that an obvious snub or two is tantamount to instant "click bait".

Here's my take and my suggestion to others... as this season unfolds sit back and savor every game, every play, every moment as we witness the coming together of the biggest batch of highly talented and mostly experienced players that perhaps we've ever had.

As you watch the team congeal and iron out the early season wrinkles and see them improve by leaps and bounds as the new pieces are assimilated into JB's genius vision of college basketball, as you watch the new kids master the subtle nuances of the zone... you will also begin to see this team ruthlessly beating other teams like a circus monkey.

That's when I suggest you reminisce and think about where we were in the pre season poll.
The parts and pieces are there brother and sister Cuse fans! There is simply way too much to be excited about to let any fantasy based poll pester you. Personally, the biggest problem I see with this team is that it has gotten me so excited that I'm afraid I'm not paying enough attention to the football team who is also deserving of some level of excitement and sense of expectation.

I think it's insane, but doesn't bother me. Not a huge deal, but it does help to be ranked higher to stay in the rankings when you lose some games. If they think you're good from the start, you get some leeway. We could start slow, and have to battle to get ranked. Somewhat affecting our seed as well. Other than that, oh well. It'll play out how it should.

Are the "we don't deserve to be ranked" people that misinformed, or just being obstinate? Do yourselves a favor - take a look at Athlon's laughable top 25, and the teams that are ranked, and the personnel they have, and compare it to ours. If, after that process, you then remain convinced we don't deserve to be ranked you are both misinformed and obstinate.

They have Michigan State ranked #11. They lost their 4 best players. They've got some good freshmen coming in, but that's ridiculous.

Worrying or arguing about Syracuse's rightful place in the pre season polls is s fools errand. I mean, do you really expect anything different. Most of the guys who barf up these polls are a$$hats for the most part and it would be ridiculous to think they aren't aware of the fact that an obvious snub or two is tantamount to instant "click bait".

Here's my take and my suggestion to others... as this season unfolds sit back and savor every game, every play, every moment as we witness the coming together of the biggest batch of highly talented and mostly experienced players that perhaps we've ever had.

As you watch the team congeal and iron out the early season wrinkles and see them improve by leaps and bounds as the new pieces are assimilated into JB's genius vision of college basketball, as you watch the new kids master the subtle nuances of the zone... you will also begin to see this team ruthlessly beating other teams like a circus monkey.

That's when I suggest you reminisce and think about where we were in the pre season poll.
The parts and pieces are there brother and sister Cuse fans! There is simply way too much to be excited about to let any fantasy based poll pester you. Personally, the biggest problem I see with this team is that it has gotten me so excited that I'm afraid I'm not paying enough attention to the football team who is also deserving of some level of excitement and sense of expectation.

Its not really worrying, as a college basketball fan, I am trying to understand why someone who allegedly follows college bball for a living, looks at our program, a program that has a hof coach, just went to a final four, and just brought in a ton of talent, says ya thats the 12th best team in the conference.

These polls aren't important. What's REALLY important is where Lunardi has us in the 2017 NCAA Tournament right now! Come on, where oh where are we? I just can't wait to find out, the suspense is unbearable...

SUintheVille said:
These polls aren't important. What's REALLY important is where Lunardi has us in the 2017 NCAA Tournament right now! Come on, where oh where are we? I just can't wait to find out, the suspense is unbearable...

He's got us in a play in game in dayton.

Just kidding. I think.

We have a very solid forward rotation in Lydon, Roberson and now White. Maybe a Top 10 forward rotation nationally. But after that, we have question marks. I have high hopes for this team, but I can understand why it is going to have to prove it on the court before getting national recognition.

We have a very solid forward rotation in Lydon, Roberson and now White. Maybe a Top 10 forward rotation nationally. But after that, we have question marks. I have high hopes for this team, but I can understand why it is going to have to prove it on the court before getting national recognition.
Because the vast majority of the ranked teams in that OP link don't have questions to answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom