Syracuse, Pitt might be able to bolt Big East by summer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse, Pitt might be able to bolt Big East by summer

3. By bball season '12-'13 BE will have sufficient number of teams to play bball schedule; in fact, 'Cuse could make it untenable by staying--too many teams.
Huh?

9 or 10 teams provides for a "perfect" (double round robin) basketball schedule. The Big East ditched that model ages ago.

The 2012-13 BE basketball membership will have exactly one fewer member than the 2011-2012 membership. There are no additions and there'll be no further reduction. The big conference makeover is scheduled for 2013-2014. At that point the hoops ledger will be larger than the current version... if Louisville doesn't bolt by then as well.

2. Basketball doesnt start until football is over and 'Cuse will be in ACC for '12-'13 basketball season for several reasons:
a)playing nice with the BE and not being like WVU--BE wants and needs 'Cuse gone (see below)
b)BE has mismanaged situation and another court case would not benefit it and 'Cuse and Pitt probably would go after the BE
c)BE will have enough BBall teams to fill the schedule...having 'Cuse around would be a difficult scheduler for BE
Only thing that could happen is that some of the incoming teams get cold feet and not show up...then conference alignment for another year is up in the air.
SU will not play basketball in the ACC next season ('12-'13).

The ACC does not want different memberships for BB and FB in the same academic year.

So, one more year at the BET.

SU will not play basketball in the ACC next season ('12-'13).

The ACC does not want different memberships for BB and FB in the same academic year.
Says who?

Says who?

The ACC does NOT accept partial members.

You're either all in, or you're not.

SU and Pitt won't be joining until the 2013-14 season.

The ACC does NOT accept partial members.

You're either all in, or you're not.

SU and Pitt won't be joining until the 2013-14 season.
SU would not be a partial member. They would be a full member starting with the basketball season...and that's probably how it will play out.

SU would not be a partial member. They would be a full member starting with the basketball season...and that's probably how it will play out.
Don't bet the mortgage money on that.

That would be interesting.

Basketball practice starts October 15th, the season starts around the beginning of November. What about sports like men's and women's soccer, field hockey and men's and women's cross country?

(I don't think the ACC competes in crew as a conference, though at least a few schools do have teams).

Are you really saying that SU and Pitt are likely going to join the ACC in 2012-13 for all sports except football?

Basketball practice starts October 15th, the season starts around the beginning of November. What about sports like men's and women's soccer, field hockey and men's and women's cross country?

(I don't think the ACC competes in crew as a conference, though at least a few schools do have teams).

Are you really saying that SU and Pitt are likely going to join the ACC in 2012-13 for all sports except football?

I don't think it will happen. However doesn't the ACC have a buy in? Wouldn't SU going in for all sports but FB in 2012-13 and not getting any TV monies be the same as that buy in? Again I don't think we will see this happen but if the ACC wanted us for 2012-13 (which there is no reason for them to push for it), I could see it.

Nope. I am saying that hoops will play an ACC schedule next year. Could be some other sports too. This is an odd situation. The ACC is our new home. They are going to do things that are not normal for the ACC to help out the Cuse and their league.

Both SU and Pitt are under contract with the Big East for TWO more seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14).

If all parties involved can negotiate a settlement, the BE MAY let us out one season early. Gross is already on record that he will not pay $20 million for the 2 year pass that WV got.

What the ACC wants to do is irrelevant. We don't belong to the ACC until July 1, 2014 (or until the BE says so).

This is all about what the BE wants. And the BE is certainly NOT going to pass up the opportunity to trot SU out in MSG for one last BET.

.And the BE is certainly NOT going to pass up the opportunity to trot SU out in MSG for one last BET.
This is the salient point. One of the scalpers outside the Garden on Saturday was lamenting the lack of SU in the final.

Both SU and Pitt are under contract with the Big East for TWO more seasons (2012-13 and 2013-14).

If all parties involved can negotiate a settlement, the BE MAY let us out one season early. Gross is already on record that he will not pay $20 million for the 2 year pass that WV got.

What the ACC wants to do is irrelevant. We don't belong to the ACC until July 1, 2014 (or until the BE says so).

This is all about what the BE wants. And the BE is certainly NOT going to pass up the opportunity to trot SU out in MSG for one last BET.
WV was under contract too and look where they are.
If there is a buyout for SU (and Pitt), it will be much less than what WV paid because SU and Pitt are in the BE one more football season than WV was. What the ACC wants to do is not irrelevant. They must be willing to schedule SU into their schedules. The later they have to wait, the less likely they will want to do this.

In any case, we all know about contracts and what people have said they will or will not pay. I am saying this was SU's last b-ball season in the BE. I may be wrong. If so, that's ok.

Then how about 1 year for 10 million? ;) He didn't say anything about a 1 year pass.

So how much is Syracuse in the 2014 Big East tournament worth? Syracuse is the big prize. Particularly with UCONN's upcoming NCAA sanctions and Jim Calhoun's likely retirement, SU may account for a third of total attendance at MSG next year. SU may not own NYC, but the Orange certainly own the BET. That's got to be worth a lot to Marinatto and his Providence Mob.

So how much is Syracuse in the 2014 Big East tournament worth? Syracuse is the big prize. Particularly with UCONN's upcoming NCAA sanctions and Jim Calhoun's likely retirement, SU may account for a third of total attendance at MSG next year. SU may not own NYC, but the Orange certainly own the BET. That's got to be worth a lot to Marinatto and his Providence Mob.

Syracuse gets the tickets from the secondary market not the BE or MSG. The BET will be sold out every year even without SU. However there will be a lot of empty seats as the SU fans will not be there. The BE will make the same amount of money either way. The real losers in this are the BE fanbases as they can no longer sell their unused tickets to SU fans.

Syracuse gets the tickets from the secondary market not the BE or MSG. The BET will be sold out every year even without SU. However there will be a lot of empty seats as the SU fans will not be there. The BE will make the same amount of money either way. The real losers in this are the BE fanbases as they can no longer sell their unused tickets to SU fans.

Are you sure the BET will be sold out? I'm not at all convinced. And no matter how you cut it, lots of empty seats will eventually translate into lost revenue for the BE. Syracuse in the BET has value to Providence; the question is how much?

Are you sure the BET will be sold out? I'm not at all convinced. And no matter how you cut it, lots of empty seats will eventually translate into lost revenue for the BE. Syracuse in the BET has value to Providence; the question is how much?

The NNBE will have 18 BBall schools. So each school will likely get around 750 tickets each. Between family, friends. boosters, and fans how many schools won't be able to fill that? IMO it would be around 6 schools in a given year. So there might be an extra 2500 tickets. I am sure the fanbases that need more than 750 would easily eat those up. So I think the BET will sell out but actual butts in seats will be about 2/3 capacity.

The NNBE will have 18 BBall schools. So each school will likely get around 750 tickets each. Between family, friends. boosters, and fans how many schools won't be able to fill that? IMO it would be around 6 schools in a given year. So there might be an extra 2500 tickets. I am sure the fanbases that need more than 750 would easily eat those up. So I think the BET will sell out but actual butts in seats will be about 2/3 capacity.
18 teams will not be invited to the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom