Syracuse, Pitt might be able to bolt Big East by summer | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse, Pitt might be able to bolt Big East by summer

Sounds like they are entertaining letting SU and Pitt go starting next basketball season. Football is set and won't change for 2012 but the 2013 year will be with the ACC. I think the BE mismanagement has given SU and Pitt some legal leverage.

Sounds like they are entertaining letting SU and Pitt go starting next basketball season. Football is set and won't change for 2012 but the 2013 year will be with the ACC. I think the BE mismanagement has given SU and Pitt some legal leverage.

There was an article two days ago in which the reported stated that this is the last year SU and Pitt will be in the BE tourney. At first I thought "please get your facts straight", but maybe he knew something. It was an ESPN guy, but I can't remember who it was.

The BE is prepared to operate as a 15 team basketball league in 2012-13.

It will not be a 13 team league.

SU and Pitt will not be allowed to walk until the replacements come in for 2013-14.

SU and Pitt will not be allowed to walk until the replacements come in for 2013-14.
I agree. that's common wisdom. I have a hunch something else is going on though besides that.

If SU and Pitt left for the non-football sports next year, there'd by 13 teams unless I'm missing something. Why can't they operate with that?

If SU and Pitt left for the non-football sports next year, there'd by 13 teams unless I'm missing something. Why can't they operate with that?

Because they love to see SU in the BET for 1 more season.

Just be glad they don't make us stay 2 more seasons.

Maybe when the BE has 50 teams lined up for the season after next they will pay SU to leave. DG should tell the BE brain trust that we'll be staying the full 27 months. Then we can watch them squirm with the scheduling. Maybe they'll pay us 2 million to leave after next season.

It's given SU and Pitt all the leverage in the world. The mismanagement has been comical since SU and Pitt announced they were leaving and the day WV left SU and Pitt gained a lot of leverage. They were just unlucky they didn't have enough time to make a power play to get out sooner. So, they are forced in to stay in this hell-hole for one more year but after this season SU and Pitt are good as gone.

It's given SU and Pitt all the leverage in the world. The mismanagement has been comical since SU and Pitt announced they were leaving and the day WV left SU and Pitt gained a lot of leverage. They were just unlucky they didn't have enough time to make a power play to get out sooner. So, they are forced in to stay in this hell-hole for one more year but after this season SU and Pitt are good as gone.

I'm curious - in what way do Pitt and SU have leverage over the BE? How has that leverage been gained? If they have leverage, why are they still in the BE?

And, in what way did SU and Pitt not have "enough time to make a power play to get out sooner"?

Explain how the process might have worked out differently? Explain the timeline that your post contemplates.

Are you suggesting that SU and Pitt will leave the BE after the 2012 football season without paying more than the prescribed buy out fee?

15 teams? We currently have 16 teams. Temple is replacing WVU, or is Temple coming in Football only? If Temple is in fact replacing WVU in all sports, that stays at 16 teams, then losing Pitt/SU would drop them to 14.

15 teams? We currently have 16 teams. Temple is replacing WVU, or is Temple coming in Football only? If Temple is in fact replacing WVU in all sports, that stays at 16 teams, then losing Pitt/SU would drop them to 14.

Temple is FB only for 2012, and will join for all sports in 2013-14.

I'm curious - in what way do Pitt and SU have leverage over the BE? How has that leverage been gained? If they have leverage, why are they still in the BE?

And, in what way did SU and Pitt not have "enough time to make a power play to get out sooner"?

Explain how the process might have worked out differently? Explain the timeline that your post contemplates.

Are you suggesting that SU and Pitt will leave the BE after the 2012 football season without paying more than the prescribed buy out fee?

You again..., if you disagree with everything I say why do you keep following me around from thread to thread looking to get into it over these things.

Grow up! You don't have to agree with me. It's ok! You also don't have to be a "message board troll" either!

OrangePA good questions but this is definitely not an academic exercise. I happen to agree with Stern for the following reasons:
1. Not talking Football we are still in this coming November
2. Football schedule is now set with the toughest non conference schedule 'Cuse has had in a while and with Temple coming in to replace WVU we are set for upcoming football schedule
2. Basketball doesnt start until football is over and 'Cuse will be in ACC for '12-'13 basketball season for several reasons:
a)playing nice with the BE and not being like WVU--BE wants and needs 'Cuse gone (see below)
b)BE has mismanaged situation and another court case would not benefit it and 'Cuse and Pitt probably would go after the BE
c)BE will have enough BBall teams to fill the schedule...having 'Cuse around would be a difficult scheduler for BE
Only thing that could happen is that some of the incoming teams get cold feet and not show up...then conference alignment for another year is up in the air.

So, 'Cuse has leverage over BE conference for:
1. BE letting WVU out with big payoff--note the important factor is let WVU leave
2. There really is a BE concern on how this whole thing was managed including in the WVU negotiations that WVU would do everything possible to find 'Cuse a team to play in football
3. By bball season '12-'13 BE will have sufficient number of teams to play bball schedule; in fact, 'Cuse could make it untenable by staying--too many teams.

So this is my thoughts...feel free to disagree and give your perspective.

You again..., if you disagree with everything I say why do you keep following me around from thread to thread looking to get into it over these things.

Grow up! You don't have to agree with me. It's ok! You also don't have to be a "message board troll" either!

Let me explain.

This is a discussion board. It is meant to raise and discuss issues relating to SU Football.

When you post something - especially something rather provocative - you should expect a response of some sort.

In this instance, you have made certain adamant statements about what SU can or should do with respect to its relationship wit the BE.

For example, you have insisted that the Orange now has great leverage over the BE.

I simply asked you to explain that and the other assertions you have made. I did so because I don't understand your point of view. I am looking for information. Who knows, maybe you have some real insight on the issue.

If you don't like answering questions or don't wish to discuss your public assertions, then don't post in the first place.

Or, when you post include some facts or some explanation for your bald statements.

I find the conference re-alignment issue very interesting. I read posts that deal with that issue. I have no memory of ever noting anything you have posted in the past and certainly do not look for your posts. But, you seem very interested in the topic and offer multiple posts expressing your observations regarding the ACC-BE thing.

I'm just trying to figure out how you arrive at your conclusions.

I'm sorry if that bothers you.

OrangePA good questions but this is definitely not an academic exercise. I happen to agree with Stern for the following reasons:
1. Not talking Football we are still in this coming November
2. Football schedule is now set with the toughest non conference schedule 'Cuse has had in a while and with Temple coming in to replace WVU we are set for upcoming football schedule
2. Basketball doesnt start until football is over and 'Cuse will be in ACC for '12-'13 basketball season for several reasons:
a)playing nice with the BE and not being like WVU--BE wants and needs 'Cuse gone (see below)
b)BE has mismanaged situation and another court case would not benefit it and 'Cuse and Pitt probably would go after the BE
c)BE will have enough BBall teams to fill the schedule...having 'Cuse around would be a difficult scheduler for BE
Only thing that could happen is that some of the incoming teams get cold feet and not show up...then conference alignment for another year is up in the air.

So, 'Cuse has leverage over BE conference for:
1. BE letting WVU out with big payoff--note the important factor is let WVU leave
2. There really is a BE concern on how this whole thing was managed including in the WVU negotiations that WVU would do everything possible to find 'Cuse a team to play in football
3. By bball season '12-'13 BE will have sufficient number of teams to play bball schedule; in fact, 'Cuse could make it untenable by staying--too many teams.

So this is my thoughts...feel free to disagree and give your perspective.

If you feel that SU has the ability to leave the BE early, I agree with you.

SU can do what it wants to do in that regard - no doubt.

But it will have to do what WVU did - pay a lot of money to secure an early release from the BE. The WVU court case does nothing more than prove that conclusion.

Coming up with $20 million, however, is not leverage.

The party with leverage - the party that is in the position of obtaining four times the normal exit fee - is the BE.

Having obtained $20 million from WVU and having secured an eight team for 2012 - a good Temple Football team and a good Temple BB team in the future - the BE seems to have managed the process as well as could be expected.

So, while I agree that SU will likely be in the ACC early, I understand that the University will have to pay to do so.

Let me explain.

This is a discussion board. It is meant to raise and discuss issues relating to SU Football.

When you post something - especially something rather provocative - you should expect a response of some sort.

But I have answered multiple times in multiple threads and you still follow me around thread to thread asking the same stupid questions I have answered a bunch of times. Move on! Let it go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom