Syracuse Recruiting This Fall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Recruiting This Fall

For some of borno, the glass is either half empty or half full, not sure if you have a full or empty glass in your case as far as an opinion. It's not like DM gives a rats arss about any of our opinions, suggestions, passions or wants...he will do what HE thinks is right, and so he should. Never once Have I said anything derogatory or degrading on Coach M, and for the record I am in full support of him. Because I feel we need better star talent is simply because I want him to succeed and be the one that brings this program back from the dead. Should we go 2 or 3 more seasons below 500, you can bet there will be many who want him and DG out of town, in no particular order. I make the 800 mile trek to games to support the CUSE at a minimum of 1 per year, usually 2 (Not counting BB). Unfortunately I have witnessed 5 losses out of the last 6 games I attended, all during the DM Era, so yes.....if you don't mind, I would like a winner back in Syracuse very soon, starting with the North Western Game September 1st! In this I hope we share common ground! :)
My issue with what you post is that you want the staff to take players based on Scout and Rivals. The last team that actually did that was Miami and they were horrendous when they did it.

Our staff has an independent system (I have seen it) and evaluate each recruit separately without any prior information on game tape. Each player is rated on a 50 point scale and the staff offers the top players at each position. They also evaluate on character, potential, and work ethic. For example, a player like George Morris is a 4 star in the staff's eyes. They aren't looking at what other schools offer when we offer our kids. This evaluation is why we are routinely so far ahead of our competition in offering.

My glass is full.

Also, DM is listening, and so is the athletic department. I know the person who reads these sites. Bees is one of their least favorite posters (haha).

Good take Crusty, though I like our chances this year. But I always do.

My issue with what you post is that you want the staff to take players based on Scout and Rivals. The last team that actually did that was Miami and they were horrendous when they did it.

Our staff has an independent system (I have seen it) and evaluate each recruit separately without any prior information on game tape. Each player is rated on a 50 point scale and the staff offers the top players at each position. They also evaluate on character, potential, and work ethic. For example, a player like George Morris is a 4 star in the staff's eyes. They aren't looking at what other schools offer when we offer our kids. This evaluation is why we are routinely so far ahead of our competition in offering.

My glass is full.

Also, DM is listening, and so is the athletic department. I know the person who reads these sites. Bees is one of their least favorite posters (haha).
Good post bnoro and van11 as well. We all want what is best for this program some of us have been attending games since the 60's have been through very dark periods before and want this program back to where it can be. I feel as if Doug and crew are doing a very good job in recruiting. I think that the NYC strategy is spot on and i also believe in the system they have in place to evaluate talent. Would it be great to land a few more highly rated players sure but the fact that we are year after year landing talent earlier and earlier is truly encouraging. Keep the faith Van they are on the right path

I don't even have to read Van111's posts anymore.

It usually just goes "something something something we have no impact players something something bunch of 2 stars something something we need 4/5 stars something something we never land good ny prospects"

I'm with you cause he is a broken record. If he cannot see what DM recruiting strategy is yet, then he cannot be helped. DM is concentrating on select areas/schools/states and focusing on getting as many players from the area/states each year so that multiple current players also recruit when staff cannot recruit. It's becoming like a brotherhood up there who all share similar upbringings making new recruits feel so much more welcome than going to colleges where no one is from your home area/state.

Key point is top recruit out of NYC (ogendenko) who has his 3 top schools - ND, Florida & SU - why are those colleges his top 3 - because each one of those colleges has a NYC recruit on the team already. If DM and the brotherhood land Ogundeko this year, the I say extend DMs contract immediately because that would tell me he has this program back on track regardless of what the "star gazing" system Van111 thinks that tells him about SUs recruits.

My glass is full.

Would love to be privvy to the ratings that the staff had assigned for all recruits past and present.

Regardless it's nice having kids on the team again that had multiple other BCS options as well as some big name BCS options in some cases.

I am not hopeful for the coming season. The schedule looks just too tough for us at this point but I am glad we are not playing a bunch of patsies and declaring victory. That is the surest way to ruin a program (or keep it there). DM has done a good job building for the future by rebuilding the NY pipeline as well as getting on out-of-state players early based on his own evaluations. We all know that stars start piling up when the offers pile up - DM has gotten in front of that game. Sure, to do that he has to believe in his ability to pick talent and take the flak from nuts like us when we think he is "reaching". We have some of the most interesting commits in this class in many years and that is certainly a great sign and an indication of how recruiting as an ACC team will be so much better. Lastly, none of us really know how good some of the kids (redshirts and others) really are - I suspect they might be better than we realize.

I will be patient this season and will focus on the future.

Good post but don't sell this season out yet. Seems like your outlook this year is similar to mine last year but I'm not expecting to be playing the "wait til next year" card again this year. I can't imagine the players or coaches are writing this season off either.

I'm not planning on dying any time soon so all I really need to see is a steady upward slant on the progress graph. Since we are not one of the football factories, it is truly a marathon for us, not a sprint. DM is building something special that will stand the test of time and the best way to do that is to start from the ground up. There may be a hiccup or two but as long as the line keeps ascending, I am a supporter of his. We sure are an impatient bunch, aren't we?

Would love to be privvy to the ratings that the staff had assigned for all recruits past and present.

Regardless it's nice having kids on the team again that had multiple other BCS options as well as some big name BCS options in some cases.

They've definitely missed on kids, I know Tull was highly rated for example. But most of the time, their system has proven to work, as when a prospect blows up his senior year he's already committed here.

They've definitely missed on kids, I know Tull was highly rated for example. But most of the time, their system has proven to work, as when a prospect blows up his senior year he's already committed here.

Well Tull has all the measurables to be a solid player. Not sure what didn't/doesn't work out with him but maybe a new coach or a new position could save him?

No system is 100% but I personally like the way recruiting is gradually getting better. We're essentially getting the football factories 1A recruits which is pretty much the best to be expected without turning into a rogue program. What's more impressive is how well we've been able to hold onto commitments when the big schools come knocking later on.

Well Tull has all the measurables to be a solid player. Not sure what didn't/doesn't work out with him but maybe a new coach or a new position could save him?

No longer on the roster.

I don't even have to read Van111's posts anymore.

It usually just goes "something something something we have no impact players something something bunch of 2 stars something something we need 4/5 stars something something we never land good ny prospects"
i agree that we do in fact land good NY prospects. We do continue to suffer a bit with the high star kids but once we break into that circle we will crack the barrier for good. This year I want Officer and Ebenezer. OK throw in Edwards as well for the hat trick.:rolleyes:

Makes sense. Right after my son was born so I was off the board for a bit.

Appreciate the info.
Congratulations on your son. You realize of course your wife did the hard part.;)

I'm with you cause he is a broken record. If he cannot see what DM recruiting strategy is yet, then he cannot be helped. DM is concentrating on select areas/schools/states and focusing on getting as many players from the area/states each year so that multiple current players also recruit when staff cannot recruit. It's becoming like a brotherhood up there who all share similar upbringings making new recruits feel so much more welcome than going to colleges where no one is from your home area/state.

Key point is top recruit out of NYC (ogendenko) who has his 3 top schools - ND, Florida & SU - why are those colleges his top 3 - because each one of those colleges has a NYC recruit on the team already. If DM and the brotherhood land Ogundeko this year, the I say extend DMs contract immediately because that would tell me he has this program back on track regardless of what the "star gazing" system Van111 thinks that tells him about SUs recruits.

That talent showed through and through at the end of last season! DM really didn't have play makers, albeit this year we might. All I am saying guys is it will be e long haul at this rate to get to be a consistent winning program, this years schedule doesn't help, it will definitly have to be earned, and it doesn't get any better next year. Look at the track record out there for Coaches with high expectations and how long they last. If, now if we struggle this year, which wouldn't be surprise to any CFB fan and we make the move to the ACC next year which is fully expected to happen by most, then we could also struggle our first year or two in this conference as well. That puts alot of strain on the program and like it or not, it is this years recruiting that will likely be asked to pick up and move the program forward. I'll buy into his system thsi year, at the sake of being a team player and we'll discuss where we are next year at this point. Shame on me for even thinking and the nerve to even want some over rated highly touted athletes in the program. At least after this year they will all be DM recruits on the field.

My glass is full.

I am buying in because I really do like and want Coach M to succeed and bring back the program. He has to be crazy to listen to any of us! :) Just want the program to be a contender again instead of a doormat for argualbly the worst conference in the BCS system.

The tandum from IN are apparently out, Bookend athletes at DE isn't happening, so we put our faith on July 20 when we go after the duo out of NY. Do we bring home NY or does ND or FL bring them in? What is the story with Laray? What will thngs look like this September?

Imagine you are a coach with lots of experience at the college and NFL level. You take a job at a great institution whose football program has seen hard times - very hard times. How do you decide to recruit to build the program back up?
  1. You decide to get back to basics.
  2. You instill some discipline.
  3. You instill some pride.
  4. You rely on your own player evaluation skills and do not wait for some idiot websites to tell you to whom to make an offer.
  5. You start with defense because it is easier to recruit athletes than playmakers.
  6. You recruit in your b
  7. You listen to your own counsel until you are sure that you are wrong.
  8. You do not listen to us!
Go Orange!

Imagine you are a coach with lots of experience at the college and NFL level. You take a job at a great institution whose football program has seen hard times - very hard times. How do you decide to recruit to build the program back up?
  1. You decide to get back to basics.
  2. You instill some discipline.
  3. You instill some pride.
  4. You rely on your own player evaluation skills and do not wait for some idiot websites to tell you to whom to make an offer.
  5. You start with defense because it is easier to recruit athletes than playmakers.
  6. You recruit in your b
  7. You listen to your own counsel until you are sure that you are wrong.
  8. You do not listen to us!
Go Orange!

Nice list.
Now, not to quibble, but Marrone and staff throw a very wide net -- we must have 130 offers out, mostly to the same guys who are being recruited by our rivals. We hope some of those guys have some interest in SU; enough to camp or visit or engage with our coaches. If not, we have to go deeper into the undiscovered gems.
Starting with defense -- again, it is not because Marrone and staff aren't trying hard to land play-makers. We offer a ton of RBs and WRs but haven't yet landed quality to match Carter, Bailey, Lemon, Sales, Williams. That effective defense in 2010 was laced with GROB recruits. The defense in 2011 took a big step back. We will have to see if the 2012 version can show a decent pass rush and whether the LBs and DBs can take a big step up.
One new trend by Marrone on the defensive side -- filling in with JUCOs from California.

Nice list.
Now, not to quibble, but Marrone and staff throw a very wide net -- we must have 130 offers out, mostly to the same guys who are being recruited by our rivals. We hope some of those guys have some interest in SU; enough to camp or visit or engage with our coaches. If not, we have to go deeper into the undiscovered gems.
Starting with defense -- again, it is not because Marrone and staff aren't trying hard to land play-makers. We offer a ton of RBs and WRs but haven't yet landed quality to match Carter, Bailey, Lemon, Sales, Williams. That effective defense in 2010 was laced with GROB recruits. The defense in 2011 took a big step back. We will have to see if the 2012 version can show a decent pass rush and whether the LBs and DBs can take a big step up.
One new trend by Marrone on the defensive side -- filling in with JUCOs from California.

Yes that defense had some Robinson players as those kids were the upperclassmen at the time. He can only play what he's got. What he had in players for the 2011 season regarding his own recruits was a very small, 14 man, 2009 class he put together late which has really done quite well so far considering. And those few kids were just true Jr's or redshirt Sophs. Sharpe, tiller, ball, r. Anderson, p. Thomas, shamarko, chibane, Pugh, lemon among them. Not too bad. The rest of his kids were true sophs or redshirt frosh. Most believe His classes have only gotten better too. I think we should start to see more improvement due to talent and numbers.

Nice list.

You also realize we jumped over 40 slots ... from 80+ to 40+ in the SOS rankings from 2010 to 2011 ... makes a huge difference ... I can't believe people still don't take things of that nature into account.

Yes that defense had some Robinson players as those kids were the upperclassmen at the time. He can only play what he's got. What he had in players for the 2011 season regarding his own recruits was a very small, 14 man, 2009 class he put together late which has really done quite well so far considering. And those few kids were just true Jr's or redshirt Sophs. Sharpe, tiller, ball, r. Anderson, p. Thomas, shamarko, chibane, Pugh, lemon among them. Not to bad. Rest of his kids were true sophs or redshit frosh. Most believe His classes have only gotten better too. I think we should start to see more improvement due to talent and numbers.
I agree with your bottom line (getting better and should see it on the field) and also agree that the 2009 group was extraordinary given the late start. In fairness, two of the best guys (Pugh and Lemon) were identified by GROB.

I am skeptical about the idea that our staff has a unique formula for evaluating talent and prefers to find undiscovered gems. That isn't Plan A if you take a look at the offers we make to a wide range of prospects.

If we get better this year, it is likely that our more highly rated recruits (Broyld, Thompson, the JUCO DE Brewster) will have something to do with it.

As for that 2010 defense, the impact guys were brought in by GROB (Hogue, Smith, Chandler Jones). Really hoping that Marrone's recruits will match that production.

Offensively besides the obvious position at RB, where we have 3 very good prospects but conflicting opinions on our chances (kamara, Edwards and smith) we have a brutal need at WR as we lose both Sales and Lemon after this year, and I think the only other WR with any real experience is West. I am assuming we will get 1 of these RB's, but what do we have in the pipe as far as WR's and I mean potential play makers? I think this is the biggest hole we have to fill considering we are going the pocket passer route. Thoughts anyone? Are we expecting maybe some of last few years prospects to step it up? With Lemon and Sales most likely getting most of the snaps along with West, I see this as a huge need down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom