Syracuse vs. Georgia 1996 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse vs. Georgia 1996

John

Walk On

Sorry for not linking.

But did anyone ever wonder what Wallace was doing on defense? With 10 seconds left he makes NO attempt to try and close out or contest the shot. After making a 3 Georgia comes down and you see him walking up the court instead of trying to block the shot. (2 seconds left in game crossing half court). I know this is probably meaningless, but did he just not care of defense?

Haha. I remember watching the shot by the UGa player and thinking "What is Wallace" doing? Just an incredible game...incredible finish to regulation - half-court inbounds pass to Cipolla, who hit a fadeaway at the buzzer to sent it in to OT. Of course, epic ending to OT. Man, that was a fun tourney run.

Haha. I remember watching the shot by the UGa player and thinking "What is Wallace" doing? Just an incredible game...incredible finish to regulation - half-court inbounds pass to Cipolla, who hit a fadeaway at the buzzer to sent it in to OT. Of course, epic ending to OT. Man, that was a fun tourney run.

As I said in another thread, when C.J. took his first baseline 16 footer monday night, I said "Cipolla shot money"

The shot that Jason his was so clutch that, since 1996, every single baseline 15-18 footer is now known as a "Cipolla Shot"

That game was awesome! My friends and I were so pumped after that we hopped in the car and drove to Canada so everyone could drink legally and celebrate properly hahaha.

The pass wallace made was far better than the shot cipolla made. I was more stunned that the pass was clean and the wide open look he had than i was when he actually made the shot.

I lived in a 2 family house when that game was going on ( was married less than a year) and between the living room and dining room there was an archway that had a real nice wooden frame around it. It was lower than the ceiling however. When that play was happening i was standing in that archway. When jason made the shot i screamed and leaped in the air...smashed my head on the archway and literally knocked myself out for probably 10 seconds. My wife basically got me to come too. I was bleeding and had a huge gash on the top of my head. She wanted to take me to the er which of course i refused because we were going to overtime. I spent the entire ot with a warm washcloth on my head soaking up the blood. Probably had a concussion but never ended up going to the er. I was not about to miss the post game coverage.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have a friend that will forever hate the refs in that game. He had Georgia plus 1.5 points. It is absolutely clear that Wallace's "3-pointer" at the end of OT was not a true 3-pointer as his foot was on the line. However, the refs never went back and looked at it because it had no bearing on the final outcome.

Watched that game at the old All Star Cafe in Times Square. After we won the DJ there played 'Down the Field'.

That '96 run was something special.

Also, Wallace played almost the entire 2nd half with 4 fouls, so he had kinda checked out defensively long before that UGA shot.

no doubt it was a 2 pointer and I remember thinking we stole one if they ended up making a shot after Wallace made his.

Clearly one of my all time most memorable NCAA Tourney games...that truly would stink if you had money on Georgia as mentioned by Buddh, I too would have been pissed.

Watched the game with a group of UGA fans...he who laughs last laughs best :rolling:

I was at that game. Me and a friend of mine "rushed the court". We were probably 2 out of 30 Cuse fans in the entire Mcnichols arena.
I was jumping up and down with Wallace and Otis in front of the tv camera, when I got yanked by the neck and dragged off the court by a cop. As he was leading me back through the tunnel, the small crowd gathered and chanted 'let him go'. The cop decided to only kick me out of the arena.
So as I was waiting for my friend outside, I stood directly outside the exit, and twirled a tshirt I bought in the air heckling all the KU fans as they left. Epic memory for me

I was a bigger fan of the Wallace pass and shot. Much more difficult. The shot, great talent. He dribbled by the d and hit a tough shot. However, the Wallace pass is fantastic, esp. with the 5 about to expire, and then the shot! I also love McNabb's reaction and then JW hugging Cipolla, like they just won the title, even though they still had OT.

Sorry for not linking.

But did anyone ever wonder what Wallace was doing on defense? With 10 seconds left he makes NO attempt to try and close out or contest the shot. After making a 3 Georgia comes down and you see him walking up the court instead of trying to block the shot. (2 seconds left in game crossing half court). I know this is probably meaningless, but did he just not care of defense?

In all honesty also... how freaking badly did he carry the ball before the last shot?

In all honesty also... how freaking badly did he carry the ball before the last shot?

Badly.

That shot was one huge sigh of relief - the comeback was improbable, our defense wasn't great, Wallace walked, and we'd lost our last three NCAA overtime games. Getting a win there was surreal.

Badly.

That shot was one huge sigh of relief - the comeback was improbable, our defense wasn't great, Wallace walked, and we'd lost our last three NCAA overtime games. Getting a win there was surreal.

Actually I think we were 1-10 in OT going into that game since the 1991 UMass game (beat Princeton in OT at the dome in season I believe)

I know, I did my first Fan Sacrifice = Win because I missed the whole overtime to drive my future bride to work.

Thanks God for DVR VHS. :oops:

I had just moved to Chicago and was watching alone at a sports bar. I believe Uconn/Gonzaga ('Zona)? was on most of the TV's, I was watching on a small 20" in the corner. Everybody kept looking over when I yelled. By the end, SU was on all the screens. Never heard Al's classic call 'til I got back to my apartment. Great moment.

Actually I think we were 1-10 in OT going into that game since the 1991 UMass game (beat Princeton in OT at the dome in season I believe):oops:

I was thinking of consecutive tournament games (Arkansas, Missouri, UMass), but yeah, we had an awful streak altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom