Taking My 4 Year Old to the Nova Game...Tips? | Syracusefan.com

Taking My 4 Year Old to the Nova Game...Tips?

Section 314 Row C

Scout Team
Yeah, so my son turns 4 years old on December 28th, and that just so happens to be the day of the Nova game. My son isn't really into watching sports all that much yet, but he does sit with me in my chair and watch the Syracuse Basketball games. He does much better watching basketball than football for some reason...I think it's more fast paced and interesting to him.

Anyway, I scored three tickets and have decided to take my boy and the wife to the game. I wasn't really sure whether he is ready to attend a game yet. Especially one of this magnitude. Any tips from folks who take their little ones to games? One thing we already did to prepare is purchase noise-cancelling head phones for him in case the noise it too much for him. Any other suggestions?

Good places to park...family friendly places to eat close to the dome...tips on what to do if he starts to get "antsy"...anything else?

Your feedback is appreciated. I remember my first game in the dome. I was about 5 or 6 and I remember it being an amazing experience. I hope it is memorable for my boy as well. Cheers!

When I took my son and he was young, he always wanted to leave if we were up 15 in the second half. There was never anything I could do to change that. My daughter never got antsy and never wanted to leave but it was always a HUGE problem when she had to go the bathroom. I was always frantic because I couldn't go in with her or have her come in with me. It was the worst at halftime and having 2 entrances didn't help. But having your wife with you will help a lot.. He should have a ball but bring a game he likes just in case.

1.) Bring Wet Wipes. It's a lot easier than having to bring him to the bathroom to washup.
2.) If he wants cotton candy, get him cotton candy. If he wants popcorn, get him popcorn. If he wants ice cream, don't do it!
3.) Make sure he meets Otto before the game and keep pointing Otto out throughout the game. Play "Where's Otto?" with him during breaks in the game.
4.) If he gets antsy, make sure you have some sort of games on your phone that he can play. It helps tremendously.
5.) If he gets really antsy, try designating your wife to bring him into the concourse area or backcourt area to run it off.
6.) Plan on showing him as much attention as you show to the game.
7.) Make sure to buy him a souvenir. Preferably not something that can be used to hit other people. Foam finger, pom pom, etc.

Steal his favorite toy and tell him Jay Wright did it. Point out the thieving bastard several times during the game. "See that man? That handsome, evil man? That's who has your Binky. He's never giving it back."

1.) Bring Wet Wipes. It's a lot easier than having to bring him to the bathroom to washup.
2.) If he wants cotton candy, get him cotton candy. If he wants popcorn, get him popcorn. If he wants ice cream, don't do it!
3.) Make sure he meets Otto before the game and keep pointing Otto out throughout the game. Play "Where's Otto?" with him during breaks in the game.
4.) If he gets antsy, make sure you have some sort of games on your phone that he can play. It helps tremendously.
5.) If he gets really antsy, try designating your wife to bring him into the concourse area or backcourt area to run it off.
7.) Make sure to buy him a souvenir. Preferably not something that can be used to hit other people. Foam finger, pom pom, etc.

This is all great stuff. I will be at the Nova game with my 8 year old who has been to one game and my 6 year old who is going to the Dome for the first time. When I took my kid for the first time he liked all of the activities in the far end zone during half time. He also had never seen a wave before, so even though I have never been into waves we had some fun with it. The other thing that I would recommend is avoiding the turn style exits at the end of the game and getting blown out through the regular doors. I have to admit, I still like doing that.

# 3 is great. I use to do that with "Scooch" at the Chief's games.

Yeah, so my son turns 4 years old on December 28th, and that just so happens to be the day of the Nova game. My son isn't really into watching sports all that much yet, but he does sit with me in my chair and watch the Syracuse Basketball games. He does much better watching basketball than football for some reason...I think it's more fast paced and interesting to him.

Anyway, I scored three tickets and have decided to take my boy and the wife to the game. I wasn't really sure whether he is ready to attend a game yet. Especially one of this magnitude. Any tips from folks who take their little ones to games? One thing we already did to prepare is purchase noise-cancelling head phones for him in case the noise it too much for him. Any other suggestions?

Good places to park...family friendly places to eat close to the dome...tips on what to do if he starts to get "antsy"...anything else?

Your feedback is appreciated. I remember my first game in the dome. I was about 5 or 6 and I remember it being an amazing experience. I hope it is memorable for my boy as well. Cheers!
I have just one suggestion. Just win.

Seriously, you will have a blast, but just keep him occupied with stimulus. Both my wife and son got restless, but then again, who wants to hang out with me during a Temple game? I know I wouldn't.

Cotton candy and Otto worked wonders for me but we still left a little early.

The other thing that I would recommend is avoiding the turn style exits at the end of the game and getting blown out through the regular doors. I have to admit, I still like doing that.

That's still you of my fondest Dome memories. I was unfortunate when I came up for the Clemson game, as they were blocking the doors like they were Fort Knox.

Another thing to make sure to do is best described in the picture below:
10222013_P_Sound1_MargaretLin_SP1038.jpg

Have your son stand in there with you and stomp your foot. While we were up this past summer, I brought my 3 and 6 year old daughters up to the Dome to make sure they experienced this. We must have been there for about 10 minutes and they didn't want to leave.

That's still you of my fondest Dome memories. I was unfortunate when I came up for the Clemson game, as they were blocking the doors like they were Fort Knox.

Another thing to make sure to do is best described in the picture below:
10222013_P_Sound1_MargaretLin_SP1038.jpg

Have your son stand in there with you and stomp your foot. While we were up this past summer, I brought my 3 and 6 year old daughters up to the Dome to make sure they experienced this. We must have been there for about 10 minutes and they didn't want to leave.
Whaaattttt? What happens there? When you stomp? I do not know this one.

My Dad took me when I was about 4 to see Syracuse vs. Army football in the Dome. I was expecting to see soldiers, tanks and helicopters, and apparently cried my eyes out when they weren't there. That was the last game he took me to until I was 8 or 9.

Get there early and stand under the 'Orange' basket and watch the warm ups for awhile. It will give him an understanding how big and athletic these kids are. Also, he will be more apt to get a personal attachment to the guys. Most people will let you budge up front when they see you have a kid with you.

Be prepared for 5 minutes after you sit down, "I want to go home".

Kids love SU games,
Take my out of town families to a yearly over Xmas SU BBall game. I'll have my 6 and 8 year old grandkids and their parents there this year. The 8 year old has been going for 3 years, first SU time for 6 yr old granddaughter, had them both at a Globetrotters game last year with no issues, they loved it. Even though they live in Louisville they are being raised properly as Syracuse fans. Both play organized BBall and enjoy it, so I think that helps with the BBall attention span, and both watch SU on TV.
Get them a foam finger, big hit and they love to wave it, keeps them busy.
Get him involved in the wave and all the cheers, mine loved that.
Yes, stand in between the Dome ribs and stomp your feet, it's really neat, kids enjoy.
Two years ago we were very disappointed as neither Otto nor any cheerleaders were there, not even any HS ones. Grandson must have asked me 100 times "wheres Otto". Wrote an email to Dr Gross asking why but never got an answer. Hopefully they will be there this year.
I don't think the expected very loud dome will bother them, grandson was with me at the Yum Center last year in Louisville when SU beat them in the last second, that was one of the loudest games I have attended, he was yelling just like the adults.
We always go to Danzers to eat, kind of a tradition by now.
Parking, Manley plus free bus, definitely an exiting ride.
Post how your son enjoyed it.

I went to my first dome game when I was 5, I think it was against MSU Im not sure.

Sadly enough I can say that my first found love at SU was the dome dogs. :D

My ex and I brought her 6 year old last season to a game. He was excited and pumped at first but about 5 minutes in he started playing with his moms iphone and didn't stop until we left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom