Taking My 4 Year Old to the Nova Game...Tips? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taking My 4 Year Old to the Nova Game...Tips?

When I took my son and he was young, he always wanted to leave if we were up 15 in the second half. There was never anything I could do to change that. My daughter never got antsy and never wanted to leave but it was always a HUGE problem when she had to go the bathroom. I was always frantic because I couldn't go in with her or have her come in with me. It was the worst at halftime and having 2 entrances didn't help. But having your wife with you will help a lot.. He should have a ball but bring a game he likes just in case.

I took my twins one who happens to be a boy and the other who happens to be a girl to the Palestra when they were 4 or 5 to see a Penn game. It was Penn v. Princeton so very well attended. I had left the wife at home and the bathroom thing hadn't occurred to me in advance. We get to half time and my son urgently needs to use the bathroom. I'm thinking geez can I send him in by himself, can I leave my daughter in the hallway by herself, maybe I can give her my son's baseball cap and tuck her long hair up underneath and noone will notice she's a girl?? I finally decide to bite the bullet and take her in. I am standing there with my daughter waiting in line while my son uses the urinal trying to look inauspicious, and in walks then Governor Rendell who sidles up to the urinal next to the one my son was using. It was tough, but I resisted the temptation to ask him if he would take a picture with my daughter.

All great suggestions, thank you. We are planning on arriving very early and checking out pre-game warm ups, Otto, kids activities, etc... Definitely planning on a visit to the souvenir stand to stock up on Orange merchandise (especially a foam finger), and I will be sure to load him up with dome dogs, nachos, cotton candy, and soda. We also have an Ipad mini with loads of games on it just in case things go south. I am so looking forward to bringing him to this game. I view it as a right of passage for a budding Syracuse fan, and I'm glad his first game will likely be a memorable one (a lot different atmosphere than a November game versus Cornell).

Just a little side note...when we were teaching my son to potty train, we taught him how to say "take a Hoya" instead of poop. He doesn't say it anymore, but it was hilarious.

Get there early and stand under the 'Orange' basket and watch the warm ups for awhile. It will give him an understanding how big and athletic these kids are. Also, he will be more apt to get a personal attachment to the guys. Most people will let you budge up front when they see you have a kid with you.

I remember watching warm ups when I was 10 or 11 and a loose ball came our way and Derrick Coleman came over to retrieve it. I had no appreciation for how tall he was until I saw him up close. After that, any time I was able, I wore #44 for every basketball game I played in.

Yeah, so my son turns 4 years old on December 28th, and that just so happens to be the day of the Nova game. My son isn't really into watching sports all that much yet, but he does sit with me in my chair and watch the Syracuse Basketball games. He does much better watching basketball than football for some reason...I think it's more fast paced and interesting to him.

Anyway, I scored three tickets and have decided to take my boy and the wife to the game. I wasn't really sure whether he is ready to attend a game yet. Especially one of this magnitude. Any tips from folks who take their little ones to games? One thing we already did to prepare is purchase noise-cancelling head phones for him in case the noise it too much for him. Any other suggestions?

Good places to park...family friendly places to eat close to the dome...tips on what to do if he starts to get "antsy"...anything else?

Your feedback is appreciated. I remember my first game in the dome. I was about 5 or 6 and I remember it being an amazing experience. I hope it is memorable for my boy as well. Cheers!

You would plan a trip to Syracuse 2 weeks after I was there... pr!ck. Keep in touch, hope the new daughter is going well!

Don't be surprised if you end up leaving at halftime. I have taken my 5 yr old (4 when I took him) to several HS/College/Pro sporting events and we still haven't made it through a full game. I look at it as it is about nurturing his interest in sports right now, not mine.

My best advice would be to have him distract your wife while you check out the cheerleaders.

No matter what, though, have a great time!

Last edited:
It makes this echo sound that travels all the way up to the top. It almost sounds like something out of Star Wars or Star Trek,

Looks like a fine place to take a leak at 3 am on a Saturday night, not like I would know. Wait a minute, that was the side of bird library. Carry on..

Just a little side note...when we were teaching my son to potty train, we taught him how to say "take a Hoya" instead of poop. He doesn't say it anymore, but it was hilarious.

Wow, you too? I trained my wife to do that, but she still says it. Cracks me up every time, its just crazy.

Get him involved in the organized cheers. "Let's Go O-range" (clap clap clap clap clap).

However, under no circumstances are you to get him involved in the clap-until-we-score-a-basket thing. It will lower his IQ by 30 points for the rest of his life, after which he will want to do his undergrad at UConn, and get a master's at Georgetown. On your dime.

Thank you for the tips everyone. My son's birthday trip to the Dome went off without a hitch, and we all had a blast. We arrived on the hill at around 10:30, and parked in the Crouse Hospital lot. Very good parking lot (was free)...close to restaurants and shops and about a quarter mile long walk to Gate M. Perfect opportunity to show my son some of the beautiful buildings on campus. He said "Daddy, look at all the castles" on the way up.

First, we headed over to Manny's to stock up on some much needed Cuse gear for the whole family. Spent nearly $250, but it was well worth every penny. Next, we arrived in perfect time to Faegans to get a table for three. It seems like if we had waited another 5 minutes to get there we wouldn't have been able to get a table. After some good burgers, some wings, and a pint of Brooklyn Lager (birthday soda with a cherry for my boy) we headed up to the dome at around 12:30.

We arrived before the crowds, and asked a man who was working the gate where we might be able to find Otto. The man informed us that Otto was on vacation, but after my wife explained that it was my son's 4th birthday and first Syracuse game, he asked up where we were sitting (more to come). We then headed down to field level to explore. Watched some of the people shooting free throws, purchase the obligatory foam hand, and then headed over to the court to watch warm-ups. This part was really fun for my son who actually recognized a few of he players by # including CJ Fair who was stroking 3 pointers from the baseline like 10 feet away from us. His little eyes were like saucers. The ushers were kind enough to allow us to take a family photo standing on the corner of the court.

After some more exploring, it was time to hit the bathrooms, stock up on concessions, and head to our seats. By this time there was approximately 25 minutes left until the tip. Perfect timing.

After the tip the crowd noise got really loud, so we gave my son his noise canceling head phones. A couple particular "vocal" but very nice and respectful guys behind us remarked that thy were his profanity canceling headphones. I got a laugh out of that. My son actually watched the entire game very intently. I expected him to get squirmy toward the end, but it never happened. He just seemed to be captivated by the sheer magnitude and emotion of the whole experience. He was screaming "stinky wildcats!!" and giving out high fives to everyone around us. It was truly a day, as a Father, that I will never forget.

So, with about 8 minutes left in the 2nd half, a gentleman from guest services came to our seats with a goodie bag for my son, and he apologized because Otto was "on vacation." In the bag was a team photo, a mini-helmet with Ernie Davis' number on the back, a t-shirt, and an assortment of little SU knick-nacks and toys. It was a very classy gesture, and I was very grateful and impressed.

With about 1:20 left on the clock, I threw the boy on my shoulders, and the three of us made our way out of the stadium and toward the parking lot. My son got a kick out of the tornado winds as we exited. A short walk to the lot, and we were on 690 heading West in about 15 minutes.

Overall, a surprisingly successful and amazing game for all of us. Thank you to everyone for the helpful (and comical) suggestions. I consider this experience to have been somewhat of an Orange baptismal for my little boy. I am certain that he will now bleed orange (just like his mommy and daddy) for the rest of his life.

GO CUSE!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips everyone. My son's birthday trip to the Dome went off without a hitch, and we all had a blast. We arrived on the hill at around 10:30, and parked in the Crouse Hospital lot. Very good parking lot (was free)...close to restaurants and shops and about a quarter mile long walk to Gate M. Perfect opportunity to show my son some of the beautiful buildings on campus. He said "Daddy, look at all the castles" on the way up.

First, we headed over to Manny's to stock up on some much needed Cuse gear for the whole family. Spent nearly $250, but it was well worth every penny. Next, we arrived in perfect time to Faegans to get a table for three. It seems like if we had waited another 5 minutes to get there we wouldn't have been able to get a table. After some good burgers, some wings, and a pint of Brooklyn Lager (birthday soda with a cherry for my boy) we headed up to the dome at around 12:30.

We arrived before the crowds, and asked a man who was working the gate where we might be able to find Otto. The man informed us that Otto was on vacation, but after my wife explained that it was my son's 4th birthday and first Syracuse game, he asked up where we were sitting (more to come). We then headed down to field level to explore. Watched some of the people shooting free throws, purchase the obligatory foam hand, and then headed over to the court to watch warm-ups. This part was really fun for my son who actually recognized a few of he players by # including CJ Fair who was stroking 3 pointers from the baseline like 10 feet away from us. His little eyes were like saucers. The ushers were kind enough to allow us to take a family photo standing on the corner of the court.

After some more exploring, it was time to hit the bathrooms, stock up on concessions, and head to our seats. By this time there was approximately 25 minutes left until the tip. Perfect timing.

After the tip the crowd noise got really loud, so we gave my son his noise canceling head phones. A couple particular "vocal" but very nice and respectful guys behind us remarked that thy were his profanity canceling headphones. I got a laugh out of that. My son actually watched the entire game very intently. I expected him to get squirmy toward the end, but it never happened. He just seemed to be captivated by the sheer magnitude and emotion of the whole experience. He was screaming "stinky wildcats!!" and giving out high fives to everyone around us. It was truly a day, as a Father, that I will never forget.

So, with about 8 minutes left in the 2nd half, a gentleman from guest services came to our seats with a goodie bag for my son, and he apologized because Otto was "on vacation." In the bag was a team photo, a mini-helmet with Ernie Banks' number on the back, a t-shirt, and an assortment of little SU knick-nacks and toys. It was a very classy gesture, and I was very grateful and impressed.

With about 1:20 left on the clock, I threw the boy on my shoulders, and the three of us made our way out of the stadium and toward the parking lot. My son got a kick out of the tornado winds as we exited. A short walk to the lot, and we were on 690 heading West in about 15 minutes.

Overall, a surprisingly successful and amazing game for all of us. Thank you to everyone for the helpful (and comical) suggestions. I consider this experience to have been somewhat of an Orange baptismal for my little boy. I am certain that he will now bleed orange (just like his mommy and daddy) for the rest of his life.

GO CUSE!!
Great job, sounds like you did it right. I hope you guys to get enjoy many more to come.

So, with about 8 minutes left in the 2nd half, a gentleman from guest services came to our seats with a goodie bag for my son, and he apologized because Otto was "on vacation." In the bag was a team photo, a mini-helmet with Ernie Banks' number on the back, a t-shirt, and an assortment of little SU knick-nacks and toys. It was a very classy gesture, and I was very grateful and impressed.

GO CUSE!!
That's frigging awesome. Real glad it was a great experience for all of you.

No trip to the Dome is complete without a trip to the men's room with your son. The stainless steel beauties on the wall and the ring that magically gives water to wash the hands will surely be a highlight. ;-)

BTW, thank you for growing your kid Orange.

GO CUSE!!

Thanks for sharing. Glad he had a good time. First of many games I am sure

GO CUSE!!

Awesome, brotha. Now start planning a trip back to Alaska. The Red Fox misses you.

Awesome, brotha. Now start planning a trip back to Alaska. The Red Fox misses you.

Already in the works my man. I know it's a ways off, but we are thinking summer 2015. You'll still be there holding up the bar I'm sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom