Taking the air out of the Ball | Syracusefan.com

Taking the air out of the Ball

Doc5120

Starter
It seems to me that we take the air out of the ball far too soon in games in which were in command. Last night, we open up a 51-39 cushion and then go to stall ball with 5-6 minutes left in the game. I think it's better to keep your foot on the gas and continue attacking. Not that our offense is anything to write home about at this point, but when Ennis or Cooney or whoever is 40 feet from the hoop dribbling looking up at the clock, we have no flow, no continuity on offense. It takes us out of whatever rhythm we're in.

JB has been doing that since back before the advent of the cell phone. It works most of the time but when it doesn't...

Did you just start watching Syracuse play this year?

No, I've been watching it for a good 20-25 years now. I'm simply bringing up a discussion point. I've always been anti stall ball. I was looking for some responses on how others feel.

Did you just start watching Syracuse play this year?

I was going to ask the same question.

Seriously though, doesn't seem like the right thing to do with this somewhat offensively-challenged team. Or at least not that early.

usually i dont like it but i dont mind it when we're up 12 with 5 minutes left. we just cant turn the ball over when we do it like last nite.

I was going to ask the same question.

Seriously though, doesn't seem like the right thing to do with this somewhat offensively-challenged team. Or at least not that early.

That's exactly how I feel. It's difficult enough for us to score. Now we limit the time we have to create a good open look. You're playing right into the defnses hands.

JB stalls because he calculates that if the other team is limited in its possessions, they will not have enough possessions to catch up. This strategy works most of the time (I wish Jason Garrett would figure this out). The problem is that although it works, it many times allows the other team to get close, even though they don't win. Stalling is less likely to be sucessful when there are turnovers (two last night on the press) and when we take shots early in the shot clock on some possessions (TC on his 3). Even then, we still won.

The "stall ball" last night was not the reason Maryland got close

We only managed 6 points after we went into stall ball mode. I'm not saying it is the only reason Maryland came back, but I don't think it helped our cause in any way.

We only managed 6 points after we went into stall ball mode. I'm not saying it is the only reason Maryland came back, but I don't think it helped our cause in any way.

Two of our baskets were ridiculously awful shots where we were bailed out. One by Fair, the other by Cooney.

Yep...And 5 were from very difficult shots from CJ/Cooney, and the 6th was when they had to foul and Cooney went 1/2.

Two of our baskets were ridiculously awful shots where we were bailed out. One by Fair, the other by Cooney.

You're right. A step back 3 by CJ and a turnaround fade-away by Cooney to go along with Cooney's FT. Those were our points the final 5-6 minutes. I hate to rely on that in end game situations.

1. JB was down to five fully healthy rotation bodies, with Keita still not 100% and Grant out
2. Fair & Roc with foul trouble
3. He always trades points for time anyway

Turnovers against Maryland's press.
Poor shooting.
Poor defense at the top of the zone.

Turnovers against Maryland's press.
Poor shooting.

Turnovers absolutely played a part. The poor shooting was a by-product of holding onto the ball and attempting difficult shots. Even the 2 we made were a high degree of difficulty. And I thought the top of the zone was better in the 2nd half than the 1st half. Allen managed 4 1st half 3's against 2 in the 2nd half.

When they are in stall mode, I just wish they were better around the 10 second mark of the shot clock at setting something up. It seems like total confusion once they hit that mark and never get anything going, just whoever has the ball gets hectic and hopes to create something.

this has been a consistent theme for the last several games. Ennis and Cooney are not rotating back out on shooters quickly enough (or, sometimes, at all). I think Cooney is the bigger culprit of the two, but they are both guilty.

And I thought the top of the zone was better in the 2nd half than the 1st half. Allen managed 4 1st half 3's against 2 in the 2nd half.
Not just Allen. They allowed Wells to get into the lane at will.

The poor shooting was a by-product of holding onto the ball and attempting difficult shots. Even the 2 we made were a high degree of difficulty.
nah . . . yes, there were a couple of late in the shot clock heaves, but they had several clean looks and just failed to knock them down.

nah . . . yes, there were a couple of late in the shot clock heaves, but they had several clean looks and just failed to knock them down.

The 2 we knocked down were extremely difficult. My point is, we only managed 2 buckets and they were both, for lack of a better term, "lucky" shots. Cj, who is under 30% hit a contested fadeaway 3 and Cooney hit his spinning turnaround after not making anything for a long stretch.

the 2 turnovers were the biggest reason i think. that would have been another full minute we take off the clock if we dont turn it over right after we inbound it. plus it gave them 3 or 4 points

Most of the shots they attempted were very difficult and low percentage. Not impossible, of course, but far from idea. I have no problem with running clock, but I don't understand why they can't start running their normal offense with around 15 left on the shot clock. I would rather have a good shot attempted with 10 left on the clock than a contested heave as the clock is expiring.

It seems to me that we take the air out of the ball far too soon in games in which were in command. Last night, we open up a 51-39 cushion and then go to stall ball with 5-6 minutes left in the game. I think it's better to keep your foot on the gas and continue attacking. Not that our offense is anything to write home about at this point, but when Ennis or Cooney or whoever is 40 feet from the hoop dribbling looking up at the clock, we have no flow, no continuity on offense. It takes us out of whatever rhythm we're in.

Come on man.

Boeheim has the math down.

It might not be good for the collective blood pressure, but it works.