Taking the air out of the Ball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taking the air out of the Ball

Come on man.

Boeheim has the math down.

It might not be good for the collective blood pressure, but it works.

Haha, I'll give you the blood pressure part!

My OP was not stating that it works or doesn't work. I was voicing my opinion that I'd prefer to see us continue to attack. We controlled the game for 35 minutes running our offense and then we abandoned what we were doing. Yes, we came out on top like we do a large majority of the time. I'm just of the opinion that you continue to apply pressure to the defense by going at them.

Haha, I'll give you the blood pressure part!

My OP was not stating that it works or doesn't work. I was voicing my opinion that I'd prefer to see us continue to attack. We controlled the game for 35 minutes running our offense and then we abandoned what we were doing. Yes, we came out on top like we do a large majority of the time. I'm just of the opinion that you continue to apply pressure to the defense by going at them.

Hey I agree to an extent and normally they hit one or two more shots or get to the line a couple of times to put it out of reach

I already erased the ugliness from my dvr (too many other good games this yr) but watching it live, I didn't think they stalled too badly; maybe I'm the only one? Seemed like a lot of Cooney's misses were w/ lots of time on the shot clock.
Hard to argue w/ the Fair/Cooney makes mentioned being awful looks (how does Fair not take the open 3 the first time, that was the ultimate "What...oh good" Lol).

I don't like 40 minutes of stall ball, but last JB smartly went into stall ball mode after the under 16 timeout in the 2nd half. We had no depth with Grant out and Fair with 3 fouls and we had a 8-12 pt lead most of the half because Maryland kept turning the ball over. It was smart last night because we needed that win to stop the bleeding. I don't like it, but JB knows more about basketball than any of us. Stall ball under 4 minutes is smart just to shorten the game. Stall ball when we had Dion Waiters was ideal because we should shave 25-30 seconds and that dude could still get to the hole. Ennis is a good stall ball PG as well.

There are levels of stall ball. I'm completely fine with JB protecting a lead and running some clock down the stretch. It comes down to math, and it's usually the smart decision.

However, last night we took it to a dangerous extreme. Ennis wasn't even initiating action until the clock was at around 9 seconds. That virtually guarantees a bad shot. I'd much rather see us get into a set with 15 seconds left. That gives us more flexibility for a second option if our first move to the basket doesn't work, and would result in less desperation shots. I think there is a happy medium that JB/Ennis have to find here, and it's the balance of running some clock but also ensuring opportunities to extend the lead.

It's hard to set up an effective 2-3 zone when the offense gets packed into the paint trying to create shots with 5 seconds to go on the clock. Long jumpers typically result in long rebounds. UM's defense corrals the loose ball and off they went. By not scoring, SU's offense handicaps the defense.

They started stalling and UM scored 8 points in 56 seconds because they were able to get open looks at the arc and drive inside to a zone that wasn't set resulting in free throws.

I understand the philosophy. I understand the math. I just hate it.

When they are in stall mode, I just wish they were better around the 10 second mark of the shot clock at setting something up. It seems like total confusion once they hit that mark and never get anything going, just whoever has the ball gets hectic and hopes to create something.

I'd like to see them get started sooner. Our offense takes a few seconds to happen, they should allow for that so we don't have to throw up a prayer with 2 seconds on the shot clock left.

It's hard to set up an effective 2-3 zone when the offense gets packed into the paint trying to create shots with 5 seconds to go on the clock. Long jumpers typically result in long rebounds. UM's defense corrals the loose ball and off they went. By not scoring, SU's offense handicaps the defense.

They started stalling and UM scored 8 points in 56 seconds because they were able to get open looks at the arc and drive inside to a zone that wasn't set resulting in free throws.

I understand the philosophy. I understand the math. I just hate it.

Bingo. Another point- imo our defense's worst enemy is our offense. The zone plays the %'s. It allows you take to take 3's (considered a lower % shot), despite some open looks. The issue is when our offense cannot score for long stretches, the three ball is the neutralizer. Our defensive scheme is based on the idea that we can , at minimum, have a somewhat average offense, and we seem to be just that.