Taurean Thompson | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

Boeheim doesn't have a big man coach and THAT might be the reason he has trouble bringing in new players in the post position.

Mike Hopkins might want a word with you.

Ditto for Rak - who didn't improve one iota over his SU career, due to having no big man coach working with him. :crazy:

He has a big man coach. You might not think he is good enough, but he has one. He's had one for his entire tenure as coach.

I don't know if Hop is good enough as big man coach but I've been consistently in the camp that we should have a former front court player coaching up our centers and power forwards. I get it, we have limited coaching slots, they have to recruit, etc.

My hope is when Hop gets the big seat, he hires someone who fits the bill. Right now, we have an amazing staff but they're all former guards and I'd prefer a little balance as far as their playing experience is concerned. Just my opinion, though I know it tends to not be a popular one. And we have a great tradition of hiring coaches from within the SU family but adding one guy who went elsewhere might be intriguing. Maybe even get someone with ties to outside our normal recruiting areas.

I don't know if Hop is good enough as big man coach but I've been consistently in the camp that we should have a former front court player coaching up our centers and power forwards. I get it, we have limited coaching slots, they have to recruit, etc.

My hope is when Hop gets the big seat, he hires someone who fits the bill. Right now, we have an amazing staff but they're all former guards and I'd prefer a little balance as far as their playing experience is concerned. Just my opinion, though I know it tends to not be a popular one. And we have a great tradition of hiring coaches from within the SU family but adding one guy who went elsewhere might be intriguing. Maybe even get someone with ties to outside our normal recruiting areas.

Bernie Fine was considered an excellent big man coach - and he never played a lick in college. Much less beyond that.
Was an equipment manager when JB played.

Being great at doing something, does not equal being great at coaching that thing.

And it's not like JB has always only hired former SU players for his staff - that's a fairly recent development.
(Hop excepted, since he, like JB, has been here seemingly since forever)
It's only since Rob Murphy (SHUT IT DOWN) left for EMU.

721Comstock Valid points. I stand by my post. I do agree with you about being great at doing something does not necessarily equate to coaching it well. I just think if you're trying to help develop a post move, for example, it'd be nice if you had actually done great post moves in your playing days. It's a way to relate to the player and to coach them up. Again, I know my opinion isn't popular.

Also, on the former SU players joining our coaching ranks, I think loyalty to our alumni is wonderful; I just wish we'd mix it up a little. As you said, that hasn't been the recent trend. Not that I'd trade G-Mac for anyone. The dude is good at his job.

Last edited:
721Comstock Valid points. I stand by my post. I do agree with you about being great at doing something does not necessarily equate to coaching it well. I just think if you're trying to help develop a post move, for example, it'd be nice if you had actually done great post moves in your playing days. It's a way to relate to the player and to coach them up. Again, I know my opinion isn't popular.

Also, on the former SU players joining our coaching ranks, I think loyalty to our alumni is wonderful; I just wish we'd mix it up a little. As you said, that hasn't been the recent trend. Not that I'd trade G-Mac for anyone. The dude is good at his job.
GMac is good at his job??? His only two recruits have been Patterson (see how that worked out???) and Moyer (unproven). Hopkins and Autry are proven, tremendous recruiters. Look at the list of who they brought in. If you are not happy with an all SU coaching staff, and you want to shake it up, then you get rid of GMac.

GMac is good at his job??? His only two recruits have been Patterson (see how that worked out???) and Moyer (unproven). Hopkins and Autry are proven, tremendous recruiters. Look at the list of who they brought in. If you are not happy with an all SU coaching staff, and you want to shake it up, then you get rid of GMac.
Jerami Grant, Michael Gbinije, Tyler Ennis, and Chris McCullough to name a few.

I have determined that, at a minimum, one-eighty fifth of your entire post catalog has been devoted to trashing Gerry McNamara. You should feel bad.

Bernie Fine was considered an excellent big man coach - and he never played a lick in college. Much less beyond that.
Was an equipment manager when JB played.

Being great at doing something, does not equal being great at coaching that thing.

And it's not like JB has always only hired former SU players for his staff - that's a fairly recent development.
(Hop excepted, since he, like JB, has been here seemingly since forever)
It's only since Rob Murphy (SHUT IT DOWN) left for EMU.

The 'evidence' that Fine was an excellent big man coach was largely anecdotal. Rony Seikaly, who had only ever had one big man coach, said he was great. And the reputation sprung from that. The world is different now. Fine was an equipment manager. Boeheim was a golf coach. You don't make hiring decisions with a now major program like that. Just because something MAY have worked once doesn't mean it's a predictive template. If you were a CEO, hiring an engineer, do you hire the 'guy' with the education and training, or the guy who keeps the Snapple stocked? The Snapple kid MIGHT be the next Steve Jobs, but it would be stupid to presume so.

The 'evidence' that Fine was an excellent big man coach was largely anecdotal. Rony Seikaly, who had only ever had one big man coach, said he was great. And the reputation sprung from that. The world is different now. Fine was an equipment manager. Boeheim was a golf coach. You don't make hiring decisions with a now major program like that. Just because something MAY have worked once doesn't mean it's a predictive template. If you were a CEO, hiring an engineer, do you hire the 'guy' with the education and training, or the guy who keeps the Snapple stocked? The Snapple kid MIGHT be the next Steve Jobs, but it would be stupid to presume so.
Boeheim was considerably more than a golf coach in 1976.

Fab Melo gave Fine a lot of credit for his development as well. A lot of post players in between showed improvement in their sophomore seasons, headlined by that go-to post move. They all learned it from Fine.

Fab Melo gave Fine a lot of credit for his development as well. A lot of post players in between showed improvement in their sophomore seasons, headlined by that go-to post move. They all learned it from Fine.

Anyone could teach good low-post moves. It's not that hard. It's having someone willing to work with you and make sure you practice which is most important. A committed staff. That we have in abundance!

P.S. Your avatar pic hurts my eyes!

Hey look, TT! WE can explore our options too.

Hope you still have a chair when the music stops...

Not to be rude, as TT might still opt to come here, but that is exactly right. This is a two way street, and if Thompson doesn't pull the trigger, he runs the risk of us moving on. Especially now that we have other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom