Taurean Thompson | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

So whats the age for a kid to be able to make his own decision? 16? 17? 13?, 20? 9? If it's wrote down somewhere, I missed it.

If your 17 and able to make the decision to join the military, you ought to be able to choose your own college?

And like back in the day, if you were drafted into the military the choices you make from there on, are all on you. And whether drafted or not, those choices may well be a life or death situation. Mom and Dad aren't there to give advise.

Ya, some kids talk it over with mom and dad in regards to joining the military, but many don't seek their advise. Makes no difference in my book. If your old enough to hold a gun, and make the decision to pull the trigger, then your old enough to choose a college without mom or dad influencing you.

That's the route I went. Made my own decision at 17, military, 1966-72, instead of college...and so has millions of others.

Thanks to all vets. And especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

cuseinchina said:
You must not have kids. A 17 year old kid has close to zero judgment, even the good ones who think they do. they do need guidance if you as a parent have it to give.
I have kids, including an 18 year old who is going off to college in the fall. If a 17 year old has "zero" judgment, that has to fall somewhat on the parents, depending on the situation at home, of course. If they lack any judgment, they will likely fail in college, no matter where an overbearing parent sends him or her.
You can (and should) offer guidance, but I feel like it should be the kid's choice in the end after weighing all of the options. If you force an 18 year old down a road they didn't choose, there is a very real possibility that they will forever resent you for it. After all, whose life is it, yours or theirs?

Does anyone know if Thompson is qualified to play next year ? He left high school in NJ where he was playing for a great coach to go to prep school. Now it seems like Seton Hall and SU have been the 2 schools from the start. I wonder if he hasn't decided yet because SU does not want another Diagne situation. I "m just guessing but I think the wait is more then just his mom.

You must not have kids. A 17 year old kid has close to zero judgment, even the good ones who think they do. they do need guidance if you as a parent have it to give.

I'm 26 and probably won't have a kid for another year or two. That said, 17 and 18 year old kids have better judgement than you are giving them credit for. They certainly have the ability to pick a college. We're not talking about rocket science here.

I remember plenty of peers at 17 and 18 who knew when they had too much to drink, or refused drugs, or knew how to save their money, etc. You don't have to be a 'unicorn' to make an informed decision as a late teenager.

This thread has become...

32238-Beating-Dead-Horse-gif-7zfM.gif

Does anyone know if Thompson is qualified to play next year ? He left high school in NJ where he was playing for a great coach to go to prep school. Now it seems like Seton Hall and SU have been the 2 schools from the start. I wonder if he hasn't decided yet because SU does not want another Diagne situation. I "m just guessing but I think the wait is more then just his mom.
Diagne was a completely different situation.

Another day,
Walking in circles
Haunted by memories, I push on this wheel.
(from Conan, the Musical)

'If it's true that TT's mom is steering him away from here, then that's a real shame and it's of my personal opinion that it's not her place to do so. I have no problem with parents providing opinions on the decision. Setting a firm limit that he can't attend certain schools because the mother doesn't like something about them, having presumably no more knowledge available to her than TT does, is something else.

I think I read somewhere she wants him closer to home. My opinion is at some point, you have to let your boy become a man and live on his own. I think the coaching staff will make sure he has the proper guidance in terms of having discipline with school and practice. Having responsibility of being on your own is character building in my opinion.

I think I read somewhere she wants him closer to home. My opinion is at some point, you have to let your boy become a man and live on his own. I think the coaching staff will make sure he has the proper guidance in terms of having discipline with school and practice. Having responsibility of being on your own is character building in my opinion.
If the Orange give him proper guidance and discipline, he will be one of the first. Not a program strong point.

If the Orange give him proper guidance and discipline, he will be one of the first. Not a program strong point.

What are you talking about? If a player doesn't show up to practice do you think there will be no consequence? If a player doesn't show up to any classes at all do you think there would not be consequences? I don't think the coaches allow the players to have that long of leash. The players can do whatever they want but they just will not play in any games eventually.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? If a player doesn't show up to practice do you think there will be no consequence? If a player doesn't show up to any classes at all do you think there would not be consequences? I don't think the coaches allow the players to have that long of leash. The players can do whatever they want but they just will not play in any games eventually.
You haven't been following our program closely for the last 40 years if you think we have a lot of discipline in the program. I am a big fan of jb's but that is not a strong point of his.

Agree with dasher here. Some parents are going to be scared off by some of this. The drug testing issues they were slapped with are a prime example.

You haven't been following our program closely for the last 40 years if you think we have a lot of discipline in the program. I am a big fan of jb's but that is not a strong point of his.

I have been following the program for only 30 years. Maybe it was worse in the 70s. There's two parts to this and what you are commenting on is not what I was original talking about. First, there's the idea that the coaching staff is going to act like Thompson's mother and make sure he brushes his teeth and goes to bed on time. I'm not saying that our coaching staff is great at mothering. That's not what I am talking about. All the staff is going to do is if he doesn't show up for practice, I imagine he would get a phone call. And if he does bad in school, he's not going to be able to play. After the bad grades come in, the coaching staff would get involved.

The second part, and this is what I was originally saying, "My opinion is at some point, you have to let your boy become a man and live on his own. I think the coaching staff will make sure he has the proper guidance in terms of having discipline with school and practice. Having responsibility of being on your own is character building in my opinion." In other words, having responsibility for himself outside the boundaries of his mother will probably be a good thing for him in terms of character building. If he decides to do drugs it's not clear to me at least that he would not make the same bad decision going to Seton Hall with is mother around or not.

But let me ask you question. When you say, "not a strong point of his" what does that mean? Are you suggesting other programs have some other form of disciplining players that we do not have at SU? If so, what changes in JB and the coaching staff behavior are you suggesting?

I have been following the program for only 30 years. Maybe it was worse in the 70s. There's two parts to this and what you are commenting on is not what I was original talking about. First, there's the idea that the coaching staff is going to act like Thompson's mother and make sure he brushes his teeth and goes to bed on time. I'm not saying that our coaching staff is great at mothering. That's not what I am talking about. All the staff is going to do is if he doesn't show up for practice, I imagine he would get a phone call. And if he does bad in school, he's not going to be able to play. After the bad grades come in, the coaching staff would get involved.

The second part, and this is what I was originally saying, "My opinion is at some point, you have to let your boy become a man and live on his own. I think the coaching staff will make sure he has the proper guidance in terms of having discipline with school and practice. Having responsibility of being on your own is character building in my opinion." In other words, having responsibility for himself outside the boundaries of his mother will probably be a good thing for him in terms of character building. If he decides to do drugs it's not clear to me at least that he would not make the same bad decision going to Seton Hall with is mother around or not.

But let me ask you question. When you say, "not a strong point of his" what does that mean? Are you suggesting other programs have some other form of disciplining players that we do not have at SU? If so, what changes in JB and the coaching staff behavior are you suggesting?

Dave, what Dasher was literally saying is that JB is a laissez faire coach. Always has been, always will be. He's never run a tight ship. That has resulted in issues off the court for numerous players over his coaching tenure.

I love JB, but I'm not sure how this can be disputed with any honesty.

Dave, what Dasher was literally saying is that JB is a laissez faire coach. Always has been, always will be. He's never run a tight ship. That has resulted in issues off the court for numerous players over his coaching tenure.

I love JB, but I'm not sure how this can be disputed with any honesty.

I totally agree that JB is laissez faire coach, which I think is a really good thing especially with managing the coaching staff. It think his approach in managing the coaching staff has been very beneficial in the staff working hard and being engaged because they have so much autonomy. As far as the scholarship athletes go, I'm not sure what JB could have done differently over the years to prevent the issues we've had. I think our self-reporting policy is probably more to blame that anything else. I'm not advocating our player's do drugs, but at some point, it does become the individual player's responsibility on how they conduct their own lives. I think JBs primary job is to coach basketball. This rest of the NCAA compliance BS, in my opinion, is squarely under the responsibility of the ADs office since the regulations apply to all NCAA scholarship athletes. Again, I'm not sure what behavior the head coaches in other programs do that JB ought to be doing. It's a weird conversation.

My main point was and is, at some point, Thompson will have to become responsible for his own life when his mother is not around.

I totally agree that JB is laissez faire coach, which I think is a really good thing especially with managing the coaching staff. It think his approach in managing the coaching staff has been very beneficial in the staff working hard and being engaged because they have so much autonomy. As far as the scholarship athletes go, I'm not sure what JB could have done differently over the years to prevent the issues we've had. I think our self-reporting policy is probably more to blame that anything else. I'm not advocating our player's do drugs, but at some point, it does become the individual player's responsibility on how they conduct their own lives. I think JBs primary job is to coach basketball. This rest of the NCAA compliance BS, in my opinion, is squarely under the responsibility of the ADs office since the regulations apply to all NCAA scholarship athletes. Again, I'm not sure what behavior the head coaches in other programs do that JB ought to be doing. It's a weird conversation.

My main point was and is, at some point, Thompson will have to become responsible for his own life.

Many other college coaches handle their teams differently from JB. I'm not suggesting that all do, but many [most?] have their fingers on the pulse more than JB chooses to.

JB is a brilliant coach. I'm not knocking him or his style. BUT the tradeoff for being so hands off is that we have an inordinate amount of off-court issues, and many others that haven't gotten reported. The tradeoff is that we get hit by the NCAA twice, whereas many other coaches haven't had that happen once.

Again, not sure how this can be argued.

EDIT--I'm not clamoring for JB to be a Bobby Knight disciplinarian type, for the record. I've just accepted that this is what you occasionally get when you run a loose ship. It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom