Taurean Thompson | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

My critiques include a huge over-reliance on a dubious recruiting personality (Meyer), an uniformed belief that mom and grandma being present indicated some special interest in MSU, contradictory statements like (paraphrasing) "he will get tons of PT because we don't have any bigs" followed by "we're 5 deep on championship caliber bigs to win it all without him," homerish diminishment of the competition (Cuse has nobody except Carmelo who has been any good in the NBA, when we have a very recent NBA ROY and a player who just made an impact in a conference finals).

It came off as a fan airing what they think is an unbiased analysis but was full of naivete and poor logic, plus it had exactly zero new or insightful information that hasn't been known for months. Comparing that to what Dean brings to the table and what sites like Nunes produce - it wasn't in the same stratosphere.

"Take a look at guys like Adreian Payne, Derrick Nix, Draymond Green or even Matt Costello who developed like crazy over their Spartan careers. Thompson could be the next molded big man and Izzo is putting in this time late to recruit the heck out of him, imagine how he’d coach the young power forward.

While the development of bigs under Izzo is impressive, so is the history of getting guys to the league.

It takes a different kind of player to play in the zone defense system of Jim Boeheim and it’s been a while since a Syracuse player not named Carmelo Anthony thrived in the NBA. That system could have a negative affect on Thompson’s long-term success, but at the same time, Boeheim gets guys to the league regularly, they just don’t thrive
."

So are we comparing big man development? NBA stars? Just getting to the league? Or are we just going to cherry pick to sell the #narrative?

This is Cusehulk caliber fanboyism.

Are you serious?!

The list really isn't that impressive recently. Gary Harris and Adreian Payne have two years in and are averaging 8 and 4 points respectively. Outside of Draymond, Shannon Brown is the most recent NBA guy from MSU.

They did have success in the early ought's, but it's been 15 years since Z Bo, Mo Pete, J Rich, Charlie Bell and Mateen Cleaves.

The list really isn't that impressive recently. Gary Harris and Adreian Payne have two years in and are averaging 8 and 4 points respectively. Outside of Draymond, Shannon Brown is the most recent NBA guy from MSU.

They did have success in the early ought's, but it's been 15 years since Z Bo, Mo Pete, J Rich, Charlie Bell and Mateen Cleaves.
And I would think that a guy from either program winning ROY in the last few years would be worth a mention.

xd83v.jpg

Add in 2 lottery picks this June: Davis and Valentine.
Davis is one of the few top 20 picks Izzo has had.
Most of his players are top 50 ,under the radar.

Add in 2 lottery picks this June: Davis and Valentine.
Davis is one of the few top 20 picks Izzo has had.
Most of his players are top 50 ,under the radar.

Might want to slow down with the add 2 lotto picks. Neither guy is going top 10 and only Davis might sneak into the lotto.

Might want to slow down with the add 2 lotto picks. Neither guy is going top 10 and only Davis might sneak into the lotto.

Pretty sure Davis is a given.
Watch out for Valentine he is very similar to Green. Not the rebounder or defender but better shooter and passer.
Similar in another 4 yr player outside top 75 developed by Izzo.

Don't see Valentine as a lottery guy. But let's chill before we act like pr*cks to this MSU fan, he's just coming to talk recruiting and college basketball, I for one like when other fanbases come here to interact.

Consigliere said:
Ok boys. Should we do "Top Five reasons TT will commit to Syracuse" or "Top Five he WON'T commit to MSU. have at it.

On the won't side:

1. MSU s greatest hoops legend was schooled by Marty Byrnes in the Carrier Classic.
2. Best thing about East Lansing is that it isn't Lansing.
3. Or Flint.
4. Dave Bing was a great basketball player. In Michigan's largest city they made him MAYOR!
5. Green doesn't look good on anyone.

Last edited:
Don't see Valentine as a lottery guy. But let's chill before we act like pr*cks to this MSU fan, he's just coming to talk recruiting and college basketball, I for one like when other fanbases come here to interact.

I have a lot of respect for Msu, always admired Izzo and their program, I really wanted to play them next year.

Consigliere said:
Ok boys. Should we do "Top Five reasons TT will commit to Syracuse" or "Top Five he WON'T commit to MSU. have at it.

On the will commit to Cuse side.

1. Syracuse can turn a role player into a lottery pick in 9 minutes.
2. Chance to play in the world's largest college hoops arena v2.0
3. Orange is the New fast. I know, wrong sport but I just love saying it.
4. Repeating. Marty Byrnes >Magic Johnson. Think about it.
5. If you go to MSU, Derrick Coleman will know where you live, live an hour away and be very angry. And you won't like him when he's angry.

Last edited:
So...uh... I guess we're still waiting on Mr. T? What's become of all the " my sources tell me " prognosticators? It's getting to the point that you just can't rely on any of the following:
1. I'm hearing that...(this is where you insert the blatant BS)
2. My sources have told me ( this is where you just make something up that will elicit attention)
3. My proctologist has a friend who has friends up the ___ and he told me...( again, insert hearsay and
unsubstantiated rumor and innuendo)
4. I can't reveal my source but someone close to the program ( Alcoholics Anonymous) has told me...
5. I just have this feeling and I'm never wrong...( insert your 50/50 prediction right here)
6. I know I've been proven to be a pathological liar but...( might as well make this one a doozie!)
7. My wife is a medium (plus size is a more truthful characterization) and she has assured me that...
8. I read on Bleacher Report that...( oh my... this is a really pathetic source)

So, a thanks and tip o' the hat to Mr. T. for presenting us with such rich fodder for speculation... he is rapidly becoming " the" most posted about recruit in Syracuse history. It's going to be really interesting to see how this thing shakes out in the end. At this point... nothing and I mean nothing would surprise me. If by chance this enigmatic yet coveted denizen of the class of 2016 ends up wearing Orange I think it would only be proper and in fact entirely appropriate to have in place of the traditional number on his jersey... a question mark (?) which would stand as a tribute to the double dark uber secret squirrel recruitment that we have all witnessed with baited breath over the course of the past year or more. Furthermore, it would remain pertinent since as soon as he would set foot on the court we could all pivot the speculation as to whether he is going to enter the draft or not at the seasons' end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom