Taylor and Bell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taylor and Bell

reds
There’s a better chance Taylor doesn‘t play tomorrow night than JB sitting Joe. How many times has a bench player had a really good game and the doesn’t play in the next game? It’s happened a lot.
put it this way

Joe could shoot 0 for his next 100
Taylor could shoot 50 for his next 50
And Joe’s playing time won’t be reduced even a little bit

Last edited:
reds

put it this way

Joe could shoot 0 for his next 100
Taylor couldn’t shoot 50 for his next 50
And Joe’s playing time won’t be reduced even a little bit
Plus all the bad ball handling brutal turnovers we have come to expect IN CLUTCH time from Joe. And no defensive skills.

Listening to Brent Axe. He wonders if Justin will now cut into Joe's playing time at the '2'. Someday Justin and Chris may be starting together. Who should be the '2' and who should be the '3', or does it matter?

Chris Bell is 6-7 180 He's 9/16 from two, (56.3%), 8/24 from three (33.3%) and 0/0 from the line. Per 40 minutes he's averaging 12.6p 1.5r 0.9a 0.6s 0.0b
Justin Taylor is 6-6 205 He's 5/12 from two (41.7%), 4/11 from three (36.4%) and 10/13 from the line (76.9%). Per 40 minutes he's averaging 16.4p 5.6r 1.0a 2.1s 0.5b
Brent is a total idiot

Taylor is a natural 2

Not necessarily -- just because his recruiting pitch was to be Buddy's replacement doesn't mean that he's a 2. It takes more than just having a jump shot to be a 2.

He doesn't have the handle or passing to play in the backcourt. He can shoot and has size, but I'm not sure about his lateral mobility to play up top or the footspeed to chase guys around on the perimeter -- limited sample size. But given his physique and solid rebounding aptitude [again in a limited sample size], he seems best suited to play on the back line.

Regardless, kid looks like a nice player. He'll have a nice career here, no matter what position he settles into. He just might be a year or 2 away from actualizing his full potential [although he looked FANTASTIC on Saturday].

Last edited:
Would we rather have a good all around player like Triche at the 2 or a ringer shooter who can't quite handle the ball as good?

I liked what I saw of Taylor defensively Saturday, but he also looks more physical and a better rebounder than Bell. I definitely don't think Bell is a two though. His handle is worse than Taylor.

I see Bell as a better pure shooter but Taylor is streaky and when he's hot you have to go with him. Bell may be able to block shots better but Taylor is better at getting to the line and has to be a better rebounder by attrition alone. I don't know about handling the ball as I haven't seen enough yet so I'm not sure about the 2 but can see both at 3. Taylor did seem ok playing 2 on D though.

I would prefer we don’t play people who can’t dribble at the two anymore. Three years of Buddy and three years of Coony were enough thank you.
Well, they’re recruiting players in 2024 who are exactly that. Catch and shoot only players.

Would we rather have a good all around player like Triche at the 2 or a ringer shooter who can't quite handle the ball as good?

I liked what I saw of Taylor defensively Saturday, but he also looks more physical and a better rebounder than Bell. I definitely don't think Bell is a two though. His handle is worse than Taylor.
Triche all day - one of the most under appreciated players in program history.

When you say "ringer shooter", to me that is someone that is basically 41 or 42%+ from three and is nailing inside the arc as well on volume shooting. And when you talk about open looks, it's basically a guaranteed three points.

Taylor is 6'6" and you put out a dead eye shooter at that height, you're talking a serious problem.

This is brutal because Triche was on so many winning teams. But if you tell me Taylor turns into a dead eye shooter at 6'6". Sign me up. You're talking the college version of Klay Thompson.

Not necessarily -- just because his recruiting pitch was to be Buddy's replacement doesn't mean that he's a 2. It takes more than just having a jump shot to be a 2.

He doesn't have the handle or passing to play in the backcourt. He can shoot and has size, but I'm not sure about his lateral mobility to play up top or the footspeed to chase guys around on the perimeter -- limited sample size. But given his physique and solid rebounding aptitude [again in a limited sample size], he seems best suited to play on the back line.

Regardless, kid looks like a nice player. He'll have a nice career here, no matter what position he settles into. He just might be a year or 2 away from actualizing his full potential [although he looked FANTASTIC on Saturday].

This is only really an issue on D in the zone, right? JB can calibrate the game for JT at the 2 or the 3 on O and then it's how he can hold up on D, no?

Give me a kid that can go 2 or 3 and all we're talking about is a wing. Not a lead ball handler, not a big. At the 2 or 3, we want him to dribble and pass, regardless.

If the 3 is best fit with the other four on the court, great. If it's the 2, great.

It’s not happening.
Just like Jesse, Kadary, Woody, et al…he’ll be deemed “not ready”. Meanwhile, rinse and repeat with an established rotation, no matter how ineffective it is.
Might have no choice tonight if Benny is still sick. And if Benny is still sick it begs the question what illness does he have?

I would prefer we don’t play people who can’t dribble at the two anymore. Three years of Buddy and three years of Coony were enough thank you.
This got me thinking, Tyus was our last prototypical SG and we replaced him with Buddy and Joe

Allan Griffin could have played in that spot but JB made sure he only played the SF. I know his handle was sloppy but he should have played more SG especially when Buddy was cold that first half of the 20-21 season.

And we don't have another recruit for this spot currently. This really shows how the recruiting has declined when you specifically look at this position.

Taylor can play but doesnt have the foot speed for SG, especially if they tried to go M2M defense.

Might have no choice tonight if Benny is still sick. And if Benny is still sick it begs the question what illness does he have?
If left with no other option then sure, we’ll see some changes. But that’s the only way Taylor gets more PT, no matter how much potential he shows.
Remember this is a HC who a few years ago was willing to play a 6’9 180lb Marek Dolejai, over an impressive post-Miami game Jesse, just because… (fill-in-the-blank).
Call me jaded, but I don’t see it happening. JMHO

This got me thinking, Tyus was our last prototypical SG and we replaced him with Buddy and Joe

Allan Griffin could have played in that spot but JB made sure he only played the SF. I know his handle was sloppy but he should have played more SG especially when Buddy was cold that first half of the 20-21 season.

And we don't have another recruit for this spot currently. This really shows how the recruiting has declined when you specifically look at this position.

Taylor can play but doesnt have the foot speed for SG, especially if they tried to go M2M defense.
Battle as a prototypical SG is kind of funny all by itself. A shooter who always seemed to prefer a long 2 pull-up.

Does he mean cut into Joe's time at the 2 with him bumping over to the 1 or Joe on the bench?
Not happening unless Taylor changes his name to Boeheim. Coach is loyal (to a fault) to his upperclassmen.

Wait, Bell hasn't shot a free throw all year?

Only 18 other players in DI have played as much as Bell has without attempting a free throw this season.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 115228.jpg

Only 18 other players in DI have played as much as Bell has without attempting a free throw this season.
Sheesh, outside of the attempted threes, he's got an empty stat line. So between him and JG3, we're playing 3-on-5 defense and 4-on-5 offense.

I love Taylor's shooting ability but I think he may have added too much weight quickly. His pre-college clips, he appeared to be looser and quicker but now seems much slower and robotic. While I like what he has done defensively as a guard in the zone, he would be better suited at the forward spot because of his size and the fact that Bell is allergic to rebounding.

I would give Jessie 12 ppg on average. 74-12= 62. That leaves 60 ppg for Judah,Bell, Girard,Justin Benny. The tough reality is that is 12 ppg for each. Even worse 15 points each if you don't count taylor. We are asking an awful lot. The scary part is...How many shots do they need to hit that?

I know everyone hated watching Girard at pg last year, but 8-10 bounces facing up his man is what he knew for the last 3 years in terms of scoring. That's what brought him the points. Would it use some shotclock? Yup, but maybe it's what's best. :shrug question emoji:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom