Taylor and Bell | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Taylor and Bell

Well there is truth here but context missing. The inability to keep good young players has plagued us too.

Most of the young players that left really haven’t amounted to much on the court. The problem has been our inability to recruits or get transfer guys that are difference makers.

Most of the young players that left really haven’t amounted to much on the court. The problem has been our inability to recruits or get transfer guys that are difference makers.

KR did well. Quincy not as good as he wanted but played fewer minutes. He was a 15 ppg 7 reb a game player for us. Braswell had more injury issues but even healthy was 8/4.

Their replacements didn't cut it, not keeping them was problem number 1. So it's a multi part story including recruiting losses.

To be clear we are saying that the same recruits from the northeast that are going to ACC southern schools (filipowski for duke, Jackson for UNC) are not coming to Syracuse because we play in a Southern league?
917 isn’t saying it. He’s having fun with AK who hammers this point every chance he gets.

KR did well. Quincy not as good as he wanted but played fewer minutes. He was a 15 ppg 7 reb a game player for us. Braswell had more injury issues but even healthy was 8/4.

Their replacements didn't cut it, not keeping them was problem number 1. So it's a multi part story including recruiting losses.
There's two ways I'm looking at this:

A) the recruits this same brain trust had recruited and signed haven't done all that great - here or elsewhere. That's a problem. Especially since a lot of those guys were top-100 recruits. Who thinks that a team of KR, Jalen Carey, Goodine, Woody Newton, and Frank Anselem would be top-5 in the ACC just because they're upperclassmen? I'd take Kardary back, but the rest just weren't skilled or talented enough to thrive under JAB's system or any other coaching systems apparently. Not keeping them is a problem only because the head coach didn't have ambition to assemble a better roster other than picking up some new freshmen.​
I have a hard time being optimistic that the group of kids brought in last season - despite them being mostly outside the top-100 or 200 - are all going to blow up because they're different somehow. I need to see something more than The last few seasons of highly ranked recruits didn't pan out like we thought they would, but these lower ranked kids are different because we really really think these guys will make a leap.

B) The portal provides an incredible opportunity for roster overhaul, but you can't take in new transfers if the old players who already have a leg up with the staff don't leave. I think if there would be some other major impact transfers, there would have been more guys from last year's team find a new place if they're going to be relegated to the bench in favor of a fancy new transfer.​
We'll see, I guess, but there's no reason to stick to a multi-season rebuilding plan these days.

Last edited:
There's two ways I'm looking at this:

A) the recruits this same brain trust had recruited and signed haven't done all that great - here or elsewhere. That's a problem. Especially since a lot of those guys were top-100 recruits. Who thinks that a team of KR, Jalen Carey, Goodine, Woody Newton, and Frank Anselem would be top-5 in the ACC just because they're upperclassmen? I'd take Kardary back, but the rest just weren't skilled or talented enough to thrive under JAB's system or any other coaching systems apparently. Not keeping them is a problem only because the head coach didn't have ambition to assemble a better roster other than picking up some new freshmen.​
I have a hard time being optimistic that the group of kids brought in last season - despite them being mostly outside the top-100 or 200 - because they're different somehow. I need to see something more than The last few seasons of highly ranked recruits didn't pan out like we thought they would, but these lower ranked kids are different because we really really think these guys will make a leap.

B) The portal provides an incredible opportunity for roster overhaul, but you can't take in new transfers if the old players who already have a leg up with the staff don't leave. I think if there would be some other major impact transfers, there would have been more guys from last year's team find a new place if they're going to be relegated to the bench in favor of a fancy new transfer.​
We'll see, I guess, but there's no reason to stick to a multi-season rebuilding plan these days.

Here's my question.. and no judgment. Do you think 13 in 13 out is a good strategy? Or 2 stay 11 out and 11 in? Personally i don't like it ... I don't think that equates to success for a program. You can strike gold like say Kst.

I like what Uconn has done honestly. Some turnover, some additions via portal some high level recruits. Whatever gets the right players to be successful in today's game. I feel this pump and dump recipe isn't proven myself.. I also don't want lost causes either. Appreciate your response though honestly.

Here's my question.. and no judgment. Do you think 13 in 13 out is a good strategy? Or 2 stay 11 out and 11 in? Personally i don't like it ... I don't think that equates to success for a program. You can strike gold like say Kst.

I like what Uconn has done honestly. Some turnover, some additions via portal some high level recruits. Whatever gets the right players to be successful in today's game. I feel this pump and dump recipe isn't proven myself.. I also don't want lost causes either. Appreciate your response though honestly.
Nah, not all positions, necessarily, because most teams only play 7-9 guys anyway. So there are always projects on college benches and as long as they are OK with not getting PT. But three C projects next season? That's a quarter of the roster. If you consider Carey as a PF, which is kind of moot since the systems are expected to change, that's still a lot project bigs combined with 3 other forwards who've had ups and downs and that's more than 50% of the roster.

I think that this roster turnover is different because so many are projects. They all showed some promise, but all young kids should show at least that. It's related to the back-up QB fan syndrome. To me this is just basic risk management since this isn't like spring training where they can have 60 or 70 guys show up and take the best 26 every season. There's a lot less room for error. Identify your best 2-3 players, augment them through the portal, keep a couple of projects, and add some impact freshman talent if available. I want everyone on the bench to turn into an All-ACC player, but that's not realistic, so there needs to be some attrition. So far this team has two openings left, will Red bring in a high end transfer to take Benny, Bell, or (possibly) Maliq's starting position. Are they going to be cool with that? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Here is my two cents.

F the excuses. Manley to Dome
sanctions, big east to ACC blah blah blah. Jim didn't do the work he used to after Hop left, and our recruiting suffered. Hopefully Red does better.

Nah, not all positions, necessarily, because most teams only play 7-9 guys anyway. So there are always projects on college benches and as long as they are OK with not getting PT. But three C projects next season? That's a quarter of the roster. If you consider Carey as a PF, which is kind of moot since the systems are expected to change, that's still a lot project bigs combined with 3 other forwards who've had ups and downs and that's more than 50% of the roster.

I think that this roster turnover is different because so many are projects. They all showed some promise, but all young kids should show at least that. It's related to the back-up QB fan syndrome. To me this is just basic risk management since this isn't like spring training where they can have 60 or 70 guys show up and take the best 26 every season. There's a lot less room for error. Identify your best 2-3 players, augment them through the portal, keep a couple of projects, and add some impact freshman talent if available. I want everyone on the bench to turn into an All-ACC player, but that's not realistic, so there needs to be some attrition. So far this team has two openings left, will Red bring in a high end transfer to take Benny, Bell, or (possibly) Maliq's starting position. Are they going to be cool with that? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I'll say I'm 100 pct in the camp on the 3 C projects. Makes no sense.

I don't see many other projects on the roster personally. I don't know the background on Patterson. I'd be fine with 1 project and you add 3 more guys to compete for minutes. 1 that's likely a starter, another like a Westry and then a guy who can add depth. I was hoping to see some smaller school standouts be in the mix too... depth and talent.

Bell Copeland and Taylor all seem like guys you bring in to play uptempo with. We then played zone again and they all seemed lost in it from time to time. They also weren't ideal play in the half court guys either. Bring in a 5th starter as I noted above. Then a player to compete with those guys for key bench minutes. Then one more to compete for 4/5 minutes. With JJ that's 4 additions plus returning the frosh.

Benny and Brown can separate themselves. Hima and Carey can prove they deserved any minutes at all.

Griffin pushed hard for William Patterson. Considering the good work he's done with Jesse Edwards, fans should be excited he went out of his way to get him (he did the same when Edwards was at IMG).
Also, one way to solve the "3 Project Center" problem is to call Carey a forward.

Now you just got 2 project centers.

Roster management managed.

Boom.

Also, one way to solve the "3 Project Center" problem is to call Carey a forward.

Now you just got 2 project centers.

Roster management managed.

Boom.
Project center problems are better than Geno Thorpe problems with guys who are pissed they aren’t playing and cause problems.

1 good wing from the portal and Judah back and we’ll be full.

That’s not the question. It’s if those young guys would have helped us out more than who we were left with and got.

But it’s water under the bridge now after what I believe is the worst four year stretch in program’s history since the tourney expanded to 64/the modern version of college ball.

Q, JT, Bell and even Maliq should all have to fight for PT next year. Let the best man win.

who you benching to make room for a good wing from the portal?
You play JT as backup 2 and Chris Bell as backup 3. Ideally get a grad transfer starting wing and both could be looking at a starting/rotation spot their junior year.

I am sure that Hima is a good dude but he can't touch the court unless he can stand in the middle of the 2-3 zone. There is a reason he rode pine on a historically bad Duquesne team.

Don't think I would be surprised if Patterson or Carey is our backup center if Red is playing run and gun hoops.

I am sure that Hima is a good dude but he can't touch the court unless he can stand in the middle of the 2-3 zone. There is a reason he rode pine on a historically bad Duquesne team.

Don't think I would be surprised if Patterson or Carey is our backup center if Red is playing run and gun hoops.
I foresee Maliq getting some run at the 5 when Jesse's out if that's the way Red plays.

You play JT as backup 2 and Chris Bell as backup 3. Ideally get a grad transfer starting wing and both could be looking at a starting/rotation spot their junior year.
so you're benching Bell and pushing Maliq and Benny into a timeshare?

That's not ideal at all.
Yeah, I've generally hated playing a forward at center; however, it could be alright in certain situations for a few minutes in m2m playing an undersized 5, or during the non-conference games when playing a 5 who needs to be defended on the perimeter. I'm not sure Hima can do that and Carey and Patterson won't be ready. Jesse will play most of the game though, and Hima and Maliq can cover 5-6-10 minutes. I'm not too worried about the center position. A fresh new forward, on the other hand, could be a game changer.

so you're benching Bell and pushing Maliq and Benny into a timeshare?
Yeah I would upgrade over Bell and then Benny and Maliq play the same role as last year. Gotta upgrade somewhere

who you benching to make room for a good wing from the portal?

Taylor - Bell - Benny - Copeland - Brown all of them take your pick. If you have a chance to recruit over them you do it 100%

I get it we are loyal to our players because they picked Syracuse but lets not pretend that we weren't barely over .500 last year and all those players got benched at one point in the season or another. If Bell - Taylor - Benny -Copeland - Brown were all in the portal we wouldn't be going after any of them. None of them played well enough to keep the starting spot let alone keep a spot on a roster that is serious about winning an ACC and National title.

Larry Costello, a good shooter in is day, said never follow your shot. If you do, it means you were thinking about missing it.
well i was lucky enuf to attend larry's camps in the late 70's. he was famous as a two handed set shooting guard.i played forward and he coached me to change my release point to above my head and follow it to the basket. totally screwed up my jumper for the summer til i learned he was right. tougher to block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom