Taylor and Bell | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Taylor and Bell

And only one of the 18 other players is a forward -also weak on the boards with 11.
Bell doesn't get to the free throw line because he doesn't drive to the basket, which is where most fouls occur. As a shooter, he is quick to release the ball as soon as he gets it. He rarely puts the ball on the floor or look to coax the defender into committing a foul. These are nuances of the game that he must learn in order to get to the charity stripe.

Chris Bell has 6 rebounds….. in 7 games.

Not sure I’ve ever seen such a thing. And I see him contesting shots at the rim, so he is active enough to at least grab more than 1(!) board in a game.

Joe Girard, who is 6 inches shorter and playing guard, has 19 rebounds in those 7 games.

bell seems content just floating around the perimeter. shame becuz he looks like he could battle underneath.

I love Taylor's shooting ability but I think he may have added too much weight quickly. His pre-college clips, he appeared to be looser and quicker but now seems much slower and robotic. While I like what he has done defensively as a guard in the zone, he would be better suited at the forward spot because of his size and the fact that Bell is allergic to rebounding.
The college game is much faster then highschool. He’s only going to get better

Cooney and Buddy were Marques Haynes compared to Andrew White.

I want size at the two. Somebody who can shoot over people.

And I would take Buddy at the two with this team any day of the week. The problem wasn’t Buddy as much as it was Buddy, Jimmy and Joe all at the same time.
And Cole. 4 guys who did about the same thing

every year I seem to be wishing for the team from last year, yet didn’t think the team last year was good at the time either. Pretty scary

On the bright side, I guarantee you won't be wishing for this team next year.

Since we have no committs for 2023, you won't have to.

Bumping this because I feel like a significant portion of our fans want to recruit over both of these guys and I don’t know if that is necessarily the right decision.

For comparisons sake both players had a freshmen season comparable to UConns Jordan Hawkins. In some cases our guys were both better. UConn easily could have moved off Hawkins last offseason, but looking back that wouldn’t have been the right decision.

Chances are both should improve greatly. I’m not saying either will be Hawkins, but I think we are somewhat undervaluing both players.

Bumping this because I feel like a significant portion of our fans want to recruit over both of these guys and I don’t know if that is necessarily the right decision.

For comparisons sake both players had a freshmen season comparable to UConns Jordan Hawkins. In some cases our guys were both better. UConn easily could have moved off Hawkins last offseason, but looking back that wouldn’t have been the right decision.

Chances are both should improve greatly. I’m not saying either will be Hawkins, but I think we are somewhat undervaluing both players.
Agreed.

Taylor and Bell were far from scrub recruits too. They were both solid 4 star guys with good offer sheets.

They both did better as freshman than a lot of guys who ended up being really good here.

I had a problem with not going for a forward last year - guys like them clearly weren’t ready to WIN here as freshmen. That’s Carmelo, Wallace, Coleman status.

But as sophs? Thats a tougher call. I think they likely take steps forward.

It was bad roster management from JB to where we have 3 sophs and no seniors at that spot now. But the worst of that is behind us, and we might be alright now. If we can get someone who will be better than all of our forwards, of course - make it happen. If not…I don’t think we’ll suck at the position this year like we did last year.

Taylor and Bell hit pretty big walls late in the year and both got themselves DNP'd. Banking on huge improvements is stupid even though I want both to stay and be part of the program and expect them to be better. Copeland and Benny were all over the place. We need to add a proven forward that is good and older. These guys will be contributors and get minutes I think tempo and playing man D will benefit all of them.

I’m pretty sure Jordan Hawkins was in some mock drafts heading into his sophomore year as a 2nd round pick

I really feel like Bell saw the light at the end of the year. I will admit I am a big fan. His father was at Loyola right after me. He was much more aggressive defensively and grabbed a few rebounds. All the tools are there. Really needs to bust his butt for the next six months and he might be pretty good.

I’m pretty sure Jordan Hawkins was in some mock drafts heading into his sophomore year as a 2nd round pick
I’d love to see that. He averaged 5.8 on 35/33/82 with more turnovers than assists.

Agreed.

Taylor and Bell were far from scrub recruits too. They were both solid 4 star guys with good offer sheets.

They both did better as freshman than a lot of guys who ended up being really good here.

I had a problem with not going for a forward last year - guys like them clearly weren’t ready to WIN here as freshmen. That’s Carmelo, Wallace, Coleman status.

But as sophs? Thats a tougher call. I think they likely take steps forward.

It was bad roster management from JB to where we have 3 sophs and no seniors at that spot now. But the worst of that is behind us, and we might be alright now. If we can get someone who will be better than all of our forwards, of course - make it happen. If not…I don’t think we’ll suck at the position this year like we did last year.
We usually agree, but I think it is incredibly risky to bank on them improving enough to get us into protected seed territory next year, which is where I think we’ll be with one proven forward addition. (Assuming Jesse and Judah return.)

We usually agree, but I think it is incredibly risky to bank on them improving enough to get us into protected seed territory next year, which is where I think we’ll be with one proven forward addition. (Assuming Jesse and Judah return.)

Going with another taller guard to go more 3 guard can be an offset here. For so long we are conditioned to having that depth at forward and being forward reliant .. not sure we need to think that way as much anymore.

We were 17-15 I want everyone recruited over if possible. That is everyone including Mintz and Jesse. If it is possible to get a better player than what we have we should do it 100%.

I don't care what kind of player Taylor or Bell might be in the future. There is no room to develop that many players at the same time anymore. Odds are by the time they develop they will be gone. The portal changes everything. If Red sees a player who is more talented and a better fit then he should get them here at all costs. Loyalty is a thing of the past in college sports. Every year you have to do whatever you can to put what RED feels not what the board feels not what I feel but what RED feels gives the team the best chance to win the following year.

We were 17-15 I want everyone recruited over if possible. That is everyone including Mintz and Jesse. If it is possible to get a better player than what we have we should do it 100%.

I don't care what kind of player Taylor or Bell might be in the future. There is no room to develop that many players at the same time anymore. Odds are by the time they develop they will be gone. The portal changes everything. If Red sees a player who is more talented and a better fit then he should get them here at all costs. Loyalty is a thing of the past in college sports. Every year you have to do whatever you can to put what RED feels not what the board feels not what I feel but what RED feels gives the team the best chance to win the following year.

This is nuts and a massive over reaction. You say put what Red feels is best and he is focused on returning as many kids as possible. So are you saying Red isn't doing what's best for Red?

This is nuts and a massive over reaction. You say put what Red feels is best and he is focused on returning as many kids as possible. So are you saying Red isn't doing what's best for Red?

No, I am saying that if that is what Red feels gives him the best chance to win next year then go for it. It doesn't matter what I think or what the board thinks. Red needs to coach every season to win as many games as possible and that includes tough offseason moves. If Red feels that rolling with Brown - Benny - Taylor - Bell at the forwards gives the team the best chance to win next season over bringing someone in from the portal then he should go with that.

But in this day and age, nobody should be safe from being recruited over. Turning away good players to keep freshmen who struggled all season is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

No, I am saying that if that is what Red feels gives him the best chance to win next year then go for it. It doesn't matter what I think or what the board thinks. Red needs to coach every season to win as many games as possible and that includes tough offseason moves. If Red feels that rolling with Brown - Benny - Taylor - Bell at the forwards gives the team the best chance to win next season over bringing someone in from the portal then he should go with that.

But in this day and age, nobody should be safe from being recruited over. Turning away good players to keep freshmen who struggled all season is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

Well there is truth here but context missing. The inability to keep good young players has plagued us too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom