Class of 2018 - TE/DE Gabe Horan (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 TE/DE Gabe Horan (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

Love this kid. He just might end up being a great tackle for us.

I love this commit -- assuming we hang onto him until he arrives -- for a few reasons.

1. Uncovering home-grown talent early is vital. We're not going to get everyone and obviously we're not building a program on upstate talent but when we have a shot at these kids that may be a bit under the radar and it can really add a nice element to our class. There have been some misses but guys like Will Allen, JR Johnson, Art and Chandler Jones, David Byrd (think he was an upstate kid) -- those guys are really nice gets if you can find them.

2. This is probably how Syracuse finds it's next Adam Terry or Justin Pugh. Maybe Horan stays at TE, which is excellent, but finding really talented kids and being able to turn them into linemen is a good strategy for us since it's going to be really tough for us to land true big-time talent that is already sitting on 6-5, 310.
Not going anywhere, absent something extraordinary

Not going anywhere, absent something extraordinary

Huh, I'm assuming you know something I don't but w/o any inside info I'd actually suggest it would be more unlikely for a kid who's 6'5", 260 with room to grow as a high school junior to end up at TE instead of OT.

Kind of like when we grab a 6'2", 200 LB safety -- that kid tends to end up at OLB.

Huh, I'm assuming you know something I don't but w/o any inside info I'd actually suggest it would be more unlikely for a kid who's 6'5", 260 with room to grow as a high school junior to end up at TE instead of OT.

Kind of like when we grab a 6'2", 200 LB safety -- that kid tends to end up at OLB.

I think he was replying to this

I love this commit -- assuming we hang onto him until he arrives -- for a few reasons.

I think he was replying to this

Ah, good call. Well, in that case he certainly seems safe but I honestly don't count on anyone until they arrive in the fall. But outside of my mind credibly pessimistic view, I'm happy to hear he's solid!

He is good friends with my son, a 6'3" 190 lb soph. @ Bville. (Proud dad moment.)

Gabe, Welcome to the Syracuse Football family. Go Orange!
Gabe horanimages (1).jpg

Gabe is interesting. Proven TE. His shuttle numbers are a litte pedestrian at 5 flat, but not pedestrian for guys his size. His bench is impressive for a 6'6" guy at 315... Some recent, similarly sized orange, were only putting up 245 in high school...

High school programs are severely lacking in agility training... He could drop that 5.00 about a half second, with proper training... Perspective size wize, would be Rob Gronkowski, who posted a 4.47 shuttle... (Gronk was 235 in high school) Any time you see a 4.5 ish shuttle for big guys, take note.

I think what Baber's and company are doing here, is gathering the biggest athletic guys they can find. Worst case, they build a Massive Wall in front on the QB. Best case, is they build a Massive Wall in front of the QB... With benefits...

Although, it looks like they are looking for flexibility. If Horan can drop his numbers(he can), he's a TE. If he can't, he's a big ass guard... He has impressive strength. That's up to him.

I think the staffs theory here, is to grab big guys that have proven themselves at multiple positions... The versatile big guys, should challenge at all positions...

Gabe_Horan_BVille.jpg

Gabe Horan Will Be in the Dome a Year Early

Kickoff Classic opens 2017 football season for area high school teams Aug. 31 (PS; Weidner)

A battle of state-ranked teams from last year will open the 2017 Kickoff Classic on Thursday, Aug. 31, in the Carrier Dome.

The Classic's 10-game slate that weekend - sandwiched around the Syracuse University season opener on Friday - will help open the area high school football season. Most of the other area teams will start Friday, Sept. 1.

Cicero-North Syracuse, which finished 9-1 and was the Section III runner-up last fall, will match up against Fairport (7-2) of Section V at 5 p.m. Aug. 31. C-NS was No. 14 in the final state Class AA rankings, and Fairport ended up at No. 27.

Thursday's other game pits Section III's Baldwinsville (6-3 last season) against Corning (4-5) of Section IV.

Four more games each on Saturday, Sept. 2, and Sunday, Sept. 3, will round out the Classic, which includes nine teams from Section IV and V.

On Saturday, a Class A match-up between Section III's East Syracuse Minoa (8-1, No. 23 in the state) and Brighton (8-2 and No. 16 in the state) from Section V highlights the lineup.

Here's the schedule (with section if out of Section III and 2016 record):

Thursday, Aug. 31

Fairport-V (7-2) vs. Cicero-North Syracuse (9-1) -- 5 p.m.
Corning-IV (4-5) vs. Baldwinsville (6-3) -- 8 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 2

West Genesee (0-8) vs. Nottingham (3-5) -- 11 a.m.
Brighton-V (8-2) vs. East Syracuse Minoa (8-1) -- 2 p.m.
Vestal-IV (6-3) vs. Utica Proctor (5-4) -- 5 p.m.
Ithaca-IV (2-7) vs. Auburn (5-3) -- 8 p.m.

Thanks sutomcat

You look at a pic like that and realize just how big the kid is. Can't imagine having someone like that running a seam route for us.....

A friend of mine posted pics of her son from Media Day. When did high schools start having media days?

A friend of mine posted pics of her son from Media Day. When did high schools start having media days?
section 3 has been doing it for a few years now.

We were too tired and sweaty from two-a-days to do this! Then again, this was back in the day when our weight room was nothing more than a rusty machine or two in a 10 by 10 room off of the gym!
At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old man...I remember playing h.s. ball 94-97, and playing on frozen, and snow covered fields for the last 2-3 games of the year. Granted I played at Adirondack in the north country, but even there, I don't see the same frozen weather conditions I remember playing in.
I also walked to practice and home uphill both ways without any shoes.

At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old man...I remember playing h.s. ball 94-97, and playing on frozen, and snow covered fields for the last 2-3 games of the year. Granted I played at Adirondack in the north country, but even there, I don't see the same frozen weather conditions I remember playing in.
I also walked to practice and home uphill both ways without any shoes.

I actually did ride my bike a very hilly 3.5 miles to practice. Probably one of the reasons why I ended up quitting my second year. Thanks Woodchuck Hill Road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom