Class of 2020 - TE Steven Mahar (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/28/19) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE Steven Mahar (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (7/28/19)

So I hear you but if this guy is a 4.9 guy I just find it hard to believe they will split him out wide whatever was printed or not(I read the article). All good man. Remember they told Stritz he would be playing RB and less than 1 season went to DB.
Right, but Stritz went from the position he wanted a shot at to arguably his natural position.

You're proposing the plan for Mahar is to grow him into what isn't his natural position.

Right, but Stritz went from the position he wanted a shot at to arguably his natural position.

You're proposing the plan for Mahar is to grow him into what isn't his natural position.
Gronk isnt a speed demon. Maher has the size speed length hands and after a year in camp Wolverine he is going to become a weapon. This is a great get. I can see him on the 2 deep as a true frosh.

This thread is getting stupid. Yeah let’s take the 25 ranked TE and change him to a position he has never played. At first I honestly thought you were joking. Pleas stop.
Umm ok Chief...since you put it that way. I look forward to seeing our 6'6" 4.9 40 TE being split out wide. As I said in earlier comments would love us to use a top 25 TE in this offense, their is just no history of heavy use there. You are also right, a 6'6" TE has also never been moved to a Tackle. All good people. I am glad we have a top commit, moving on.

By the time Marrone got here it was striking how small the team was.

Then toss in a basically non-existent S&C program under GERG and it made things 1000X worse.

Dear Steven,

Checked two very important boxes with young Mr. Mahar. First a talented player at a position of need and second, a New York State Player staying home where he belongs. Congratulations young Mr. Mahar, a smart choice on your part. You will be part of something very special at Syracuse University Football. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Umm ok Chief...since you put it that way. I look forward to seeing our 6'6" 4.9 40 TE being split out wide. As I said in earlier comments would love us to use a top 25 TE in this offense, their is just no history of heavy use there. You are also right, a 6'6" TE has also never been moved to a Tackle. All good people. I am glad we have a top commit, moving on.

There’s no history because there’s been no tight end but they split pierce out plenty.

I’m not sure what his true speed is but 4.9 at his size is very fast. In a year or two he’s probably around 4.7. Gronkowski is a world class athlete runs 4.68 at 265

I have said this before but will say it again. The key that led to the resurgence of the program under Mac was his ability to recruit a lot of tall guys who were athletic and could run. In the early days, he didn’t recruit ready made OL, DL, TEs. He recruited tall, relatively thin guys who had high ceilings and developed them into football players.

Dino is doing exactly the same thing.

Excited about Steven. He could be our first really good TE, someone who can catch, run and block, in a long time. He has work to do but he has the talent to be great someday.

Good post.

I'll add that TE is a position of need, and this is a great "get" for that reason. Dino and staff have done an outstanding job of upgrading the talent / athleticism at most positions -- and the difference is noticeable on the field.

TE is an exception -- but Mahar is a huge step in the right direction.

There’s no history because there’s been no tight end but they split pierce out plenty.

I’m not sure what his true speed is but 4.9 at his size is very fast. In a year or two he’s probably around 4.7. Gronkowski is a world class athlete runs 4.68 at 265
Fair enough. Your right on that regarding Pierce. Pierce was supposed to be the guy and while he flashed a few times it didn't seem like the position found a place in the offense.

No, Mahar’s comments inspired the coaches to build a relationship. There was zero contact between SU and NYS top program. They knew they had work to do.
Yep. It was more tongue and cheek. A number of Cuse fans took offense when it happened and it just goes to show there are lots of different perspectives when it comes to the process and the people who potentially could have been most offended simply used it as a wake up call to pick it up. That showed allot...again great pickup and congrats to the young man.

Yep. It was more tongue and cheek. A number of Cuse fans took offense when it happened and it just goes to show there are lots of different perspectives when it comes to the process and the people who potentially could have been most offended simply used it as a wake up call to pick it up. That showed allot...again great pickup and congrats to the young man.
When you become a #1 target the coaches become concerned not offended.

Fair enough. Your right on that regarding Pierce. Pierce was supposed to be the guy and while he flashed a few times it didn't seem like the position found a place in the offense.

The offense evolves with what they have.

I just envision an athletic pass catching TE who’s in tight but you can split out pre-snap. If that guy is a legit threat It causes all sorts of problems for the defense.

With Pierce who knows. If the kid was also a knucklehead in practice you’re just not going to make him a big part of anything you’re doing.

Last edited:
I don’t think Dino has had his ideal TE so far in his time at Syracuse, but FYI, when he was at his first head coaching job at Eastern Illinois, he got Jeff LePak to follow him from Baylor. In 2013, playing for Dino, Jeff was an AA TE at Eastern. Had 51 catches for 723 yards receiving and 8 TDs. Jeff ended up becoming a GA for Dino at BG, then a QC coach at Syracuse before getting a full time coaching position at McNeese State in January.

LePak was listed at 6’6 222 pounds.

Mahar is listed at 6’5, 225 pounds.

Last edited:
The offense evolves with what they have.

I just envision a pass catching threat TE who’s generally in tight but that you can split out pre-snap. If that guy is a legit threat It causes all sorts of problems for the defense.

With Pierce who knows. If the kid was also a knucklehead in practice you’re just not going to make him a big part of anything you’re doing.
Yeah I hear ya. Everyone was proclaiming Ravian was going to be that guy and then it just didn’t seem to materialize. It was my impression from the games that TE just wasn’t emphasized. If the guy is going to be receiving threat then that is great and again I wish him well here at Cuse.

I don’t think Dino has had his ideal TE so far in his time at Syracuse, but FYI, when he was at his first head coaching job at Eastern Illinois, he got Jeff LePak to follow him from Baylor. In 2013, playing for Dino, Jeff was an AA TE at Eastern. Had 51 catches for 723 yards receiving and 8 TDs. Jeff ended up becoming a GA for Dino at BG, then a QC coach at Syracuse before getting a full time coaching position at McNeese State in January.

Mahar is listed at 6’4, 225 pounds.

Great info and I didn’t know that. Very interesting. Thanks Tomcat

Mahar is listed at 6’4, 225 pounds.

And Mahar is closer to 6’6. Definitely not 6’4. I honestly dont know exactly what Dino wants the TE to do. I think it changes for each team. It is interesting to see Lepak put up those numbers. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
And Mahar is closer to 6’6. Definitely not 6’4. I honestly dont know exactly what Dino wants the TE to do. I think it changes for each team. It is interesting to see Lepak put up those numbers. Thanks for sharing

I think Ravian Pierce would have been used more last year had he been healthier. Also he was not nearly consistent enough.

I think Ravian Pierce would have been used more last year had he been healthier. Also he was not nearly consistent enough.

And a Personal Foul drawing machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom